GAS BUSTER CHARGING HANDLE

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

kwin201 wrote:i picked up some silicone that is rated up to 400 degrees farenheit, is that enough?
enough for what? :)

You should be good to go. 400 would be overkill, but won't hurt anything. If the charging handle got that hot, you wouldn't be able to touch it anyway.
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

kwin201 wrote:i picked up some silicone that is rated up to 400 degrees farenheit, is that enough?
Plenty. The temp of the receiver/charging handle is the critical factor, and if those are getting anywhere near 400 degree something is seriously wrong or you are not using the rifle for what it was intended to be use for. In this case I feel a resistance to oil and solvents is more critical that having a resistance to high temps.
kwin201
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwin201 »

TigWiz wrote:
Plenty. The temp of the receiver/charging handle is the critical factor, and if those are getting anywhere near 400 degree something is seriously wrong or you are not using the rifle for what it was intended to be use for. In this case I feel a resistance to oil and solvents is more critical that having a resistance to high temps.
cool thanks guys, its the black one which i think rob_s said is designed to be resistant to the oils and solvents, im going to get this done. thanks again

oh and call me a mall ninja chrismarting but i prefer wearing gloves when i shoot my rifle, idk why just feels more comfortable. Its also cold in jersey
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Tag to find gas leak fixes later.
-----
Ick
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I finally got one of these, and I'm assuming it is out of spec. My only AR-15 is my 9mm RRA build.

If you put the handle in partially, then the carrier, you have to give them a bit of a shove to go in all the way. You cannot get the charging handle to budge at this point, it's locked in place. I've tried excessive force, no deal. You have to tilt the upper and hit it to get the bolt to drop back enough to get a hold of.

Pain in the bitch.
BadassWeakling
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BadassWeakling »

Chromeluv: Try replacing your PRI latch with the LMT latch. I find that the design really aids with durability of standard and PRI charging handles. I also like how it stop when it's perpendicular, whereas the standard PRI latch goes beyond 90 degrees to the rifle.

While the Gas buster does kind of work, in the end, gas is still escaping from the upper receiver. The PRI directs some of the gas away with the shape of the CH... but with out gas volume, or unfavorable wind conditions, you'll still end up breathing in gas.

I went ahead and RTV'd both my BCM charging handle and PRI gas buster. As soon as I get down to Oregon i'm going to try out both.

http://www.thegunvault.org/forums/showt ... ing-handle
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

I have recently done the RTV fix on my LWRC M6A3's Armadynamics ambidextrous charging handle (LaRue has them) and put the high temp red on first with a coat of the lower temp black stuff over the top on the area visible when the handle is all the way forward. There's still a little bit of gas escaping under the charging handle, but I'm not sure anything can be done about it. There's also a bit that comes out through the gap between the upper and lower receivers. My FDE Duracoated lower shows the resultant dirty lube push-out pretty well. There is much less gas in the face with the RTV, though!
Chase

suppressortools.com
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

I have the PRI on my LMT 12" piston upper and it works great. I had the same can and PRI on a standard DI gun and got some noticeable blowback. With the piston upper I have had no noticeable issues because the piston does not put any extra pressure back into the chamber. Only the back pressure the can exherts.

PRI + Piston Upper = Good to go!
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Re: GAS BUSTER CHARGING HANDLE

Post by Eagle1* »

Guys, I am brining this back to the top because I want to hear from you guys that have done it if you are happy with this mod or not? I need to decide If I am going to do this and would like some input from you since some of you have had it on for awhile. How has it lasted for you and does it keep the majority of gas out of your face or not? Just wondering if some of you have since taken it off or if it has worn off? Thanks for your responses...
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I put it on a BCM Gunfighter Mod4 charging handle I installed in an AAC 300 BLK upper. I have, I think, somewhere around 1200 rounds through the upper suppressed. I didn't shoot it at all without the RTV. Most of that 1200 was over the course of 2.5 days. I had no blowback issues to report. No idea if that's a function of the subsonic round, the can, the RTV, some combination, etc. but that's my experience.

The RTV is also still holding strong.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

thanks rob, I am going to pick some up tomorrow and try it...
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

My version of gas-x for my 9mm AR:

Milled Groove in the charging handle:

Replace Forward Assist w/ home made exhaust vent:

These two work very well for me I plan to test the exhaust vent with a standard charging handle one day to see how much each is contributing to the solution. At that point, I'll post my results.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
blackfly53
Silent Operator

Post by blackfly53 »

I find that using this http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m ... ifles.html and doing the RTV trick cuts out the gas extremely well. It is also cheaper than the gasbuster.

If it has tits or wheels it will give you problems, no exceptions..
AggiePhil
Silent Operator

Post by AggiePhil »

Would it be redundant or even maybe detrimental to put the RTV on a Gas Buster CH? Just wondering if it'd get in the way of how the Gas Buster is supposed to work.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

Have any of you RayJays seen the latest Generation of the GunFighter Charging handles?

VERY COOL! Beefed up a little for the gas sissies... but the design is friggin COOL looking.
wrenchmonkey

Post by wrenchmonkey »

I've got a couple of the newer ones, and I like 'em! They do look pretty cool. When I pulled them out of the box, my first instinct was that they would probably work to cut down on the blowback. Still eating gas with them though, since it's still the path of least resistance. Gonna apply some silicone to them like my others.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

the AR gas vent is more effective than the vented or RTV'd charging handles.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:My version of gas-x for my 9mm AR:

Milled Groove in the charging handle:

Replace Forward Assist w/ home made exhaust vent:

These two work very well for me I plan to test the exhaust vent with a standard charging handle one day to see how much each is contributing to the solution. At that point, I'll post my results.

I would love to see which of these worked out the best for you.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

NiceShot...Keep on me about this (to test and post the results). I need to do it but it's going to be a few weeks because of other obligations.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Gunny 1969

Post by Gunny 1969 »

very cool Ideas :D
I will try installing the Silicone seal and milling the exaust int the carging handle
But the the best solution would be in my opinion piston driven system