Scope question

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Zaki

Scope question

Post by Zaki »

I've been looking around on Amazon at a couple of scopes for when I get my AR-15 in the next few weeks or so, and I can't really make up my mind.

My thoughts are SHTF long range (300+ yards) as well as hunting/plinking around.

Vokul 2.5-10x40 Tactical Rifle Scope vs. Monstrum S330P 3X Prism Scope https://tacticsfaq.com/monstrum-tactical-s330p-review/

A friend of mine who's also got an AR, said he wasn't sure which one i should pick either. My goal is to have a $100 or below scope on there till I get more money in to get a better one. and I figured i'd ask the more expert people

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by Zaki on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Scope question

Post by a_canadian »

Being a silencer forum it seems an odd place to look for scope advice. Here's a thread from 2015 with a similar question involving the two brands you're referencing, if not the exact models:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Monst ... 18-680889/

I concur with the prevailing opinion there, in that cheap scopes usually disappoint, though sometimes they can work alright. I've not personally invested more than $600 in a scope, but within the range between about $40 and $600 I have a dozen or so scopes from 6 manufacturers. Waiting and saving towards a better optic is the better path, that's my conclusion. The scope image is clearer, the reticle clearer and more stable. You avoid nonsense like reticle adjustment lag where you click a few clicks and get no change, so you click a few more... then some time later, between a few minutes and a few days, you find you've gone much too far and now have to come back for your zero. That's frustrating nonsense and something you won't generally find in more expensive scopes. With Leupold (the real stuff, not these popular Chinese-made fakes) or Burris a click equals reticle movement, period. I'd recommend spending at least 1/3 as much on your optic as on your gun, generally speaking.