Best Standard Velocity .22lr Ammunition

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Best Standard Velocity .22lr Ammunition

Post by noiseless »

Like most folks, I have buckets of various .22lr ammunition.

But I'm looking at buying a several bricks (or more) of a standard velocity .22lr for use with suppressors.

Does anyone make "the best" for our purpose?

Is there a good plated standard velocity 22lr cartridge out there?
f.2
Silent But Deadly

Post by f.2 »

Purchase a box of each that you are thinking of buying in bulk and see if it will shoot reliably through your rimfire + magazine setup.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

buy a box (50) of each and try them for accuracy, I'm using Aguila SE 40 grain subsonic as this shot better in my gun than other's I tried for the price... actually it shot better than more expensive Eley.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I'm using Aguila SE 38 grain subsonics HP's which work best for me. A good standard velocity round is made by CCI although not hollow point.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
BrianBerto2
Elite Member

Post by BrianBerto2 »

I notice a lot of people using aguila. I agree that it shoots pretty well and is easy on the wallet, but am I the only one who cant stand the smell? I primarily shoot at an indoor range and the odd smell kind of lingers even with the exhaust sytem running.

As stated above, CCI makes a good SV round and I have also come to like Remington Target. Both are usually in the same price range but the Aguila SE subs and Eley Sport are likely to be the cheapest route.

I dont think I have come across any standard velocity or subsonic rounds that were plated. I havent tried them all by any means so I could be wrong on that.

Good shotting,
-Brian
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

I have tested probably 30 different 22 subsonic rounds for accuracy in probably 10 different 22 rifles and 4 pistols. For accuracy a couple brands stand out for consistency, but they are pricey. Eley Tenex, and Eley Match Extra Plus shoot well in everything I have ever shot them through. This is what I use as a critter getter, when shot placement is critical. I have never shot a more accurate bullet in anything I own.

For a lot less money, Wolf Match Target does very well for many shooters. I bought a couple of cases, and it only shoots as well as Dynapoints for me.

I plink with Dynapoints from the bulk box I buy at K-Mart, 500 for $12.00 (last time I bought any). They are hollow points with a copper wash (coating) over lead. They are fairly accurate and cheap.

CCI Standard Velocity (CCI Green Tag) same ammo, shoots a little better than Dynapoints, but not as well as Eley. Standard Velocity and Green Tag is the same ammo, except Green Tag is more expensive because it has a couple of more visual inspections during manufacture.
Quietly-Effectively
Silent But Deadly

CCI

Post by Quietly-Effectively »

Why doesn't CCI sell in bricks of 500 ? Seems like it would be cheaper than buying ammo in those plastic cases.
YHM 3200
SRT Cheyenne XL, AAC Pilot, Spectre
Trident 9
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

Ron of Va wrote:I plink with Dynapoints from the bulk box I buy at K-Mart, 500 for $12.00 (last time I bought any). They are hollow points with a copper wash (coating) over lead. They are fairly accurate and cheap.

CCI Standard Velocity (CCI Green Tag) same ammo, shoots a little better than Dynapoints, but not as well as Eley. Standard Velocity and Green Tag is the same ammo, except Green Tag is more expensive because it has a couple of more visual inspections during manufacture.
Exactly the kind of information I am looking for
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: CCI

Post by Diomed »

Quietly-Effectively wrote:Why doesn't CCI sell in bricks of 500 ? Seems like it would be cheaper than buying ammo in those plastic cases.
They used to, but I haven't seen it for sale in almost a year, and it's not on their website. It was good stuff - the same as the standard velocity that they're now selling only in the 100-round plastic trays, at twice the price.
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

Ron of Va wrote: CCI Standard Velocity (CCI Green Tag) same ammo, shoots a little better than Dynapoints, but not as well as Eley. Standard Velocity and Green Tag is the same ammo, except Green Tag is more expensive because it has a couple of more visual inspections during manufacture.
Picked up some Green Tag CCI yesterday, but it is not plated, all lead. I'll try it next range trip
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

The only plated ammo I can think of (right now) is Winchester Dynapoints, and some Federal bulk ammo.

I hope the Green Tag shoots well for you. If it does then you can save some money, it is the same as Standard Velocity, with a different label, check it out.
I think everything in the photo is subsonic. I have tried everything I could get my hands on.

Image :lol:
Last edited by Ron of Va on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

:D I went through my "big can 'o 22". Found a bunch of the Federal Gold Medal, "T-22" and a bunch of Aguila.

Thanks again for the information and I'll be hunting the Dynapoints.
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

I tried to pull all my high velocity ammo out of the photo. The American Eagle is high velocity ammo.. Sorry.

Good luck with the Federal Gold Metal. I am not sure if it still comes in 711B and 900B. Both shot very well in some of my guns, 900B shot a little better, and of course it cost more. You might check the Federal for accuracy as a critter getter.

(Since this thread I checked prices. I haven't bought any new ammo to test in several years, I was very surprised at the increase.)
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

Ron of Va wrote: (Since this thread I checked prices. I haven't bought any new ammo to test in several years, I was very surprised at the increase.)
No kidding. I have seen Aguilla SSS going for $45 a brick and at another location Remington "Subsonic" was $35 a brick. When I asked the price on the Remington, the clerk said "it's like $20", then he scanned it. Needless to say, his eyebrow raised as he looked up and gave me the $35 price
f.2
Silent But Deadly

Post by f.2 »

You've got to know where to look:

Gold City Gun & Cartridge, Co. LLC

10303B, Standard Velocity, 22 LR, brick of 500, S 40 gr, TP, 1070 fps, $38.97

Quietly-Effectively wrote:Why doesn't CCI sell in bricks of 500 ? Seems like it would be cheaper than buying ammo in those plastic cases.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

f.2 wrote:You've got to know where to look:

10303B, Standard Velocity, 22 LR, brick of 500, S 40 gr, TP, 1070 fps, $38.97

The plastic boxes are what, $6 each? Less at Midway. So the brick is actually ten bucks more than the equivalent number of plastic boxes...
f.2
Silent But Deadly

Post by f.2 »

Oh, you want the lowest price? Compare.

Ammunition at Four Seasons, .22LR CCI Standard Velocity Target 500 $25.99 / brick

CCI

subsonic

Ammunition store

Champion Shooters

Champion's Choice

Ammunition to go

Bruno Shooters Supply
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I shortened the list down:

CCI Standard-
http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_ammo.html - $25.99 / brick of 500
http://www.championshooters.com/ammo-ssl.htm - $28.00 / brick of 500

Aguila 40 round nose or 38 hollow points-
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_22LR.htm - $15.95 / brick of 500

Nevermind, I think ammunitionstore.com might be out of business. Their phonelines are disconnected or down.
Last edited by Twinsen on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Good grief, I'll just stick to buying Mini-Mags now.

A 150% price hike in a year. It's good stuff, but not that good.
darticus

Re: Best Standard Velocity .22lr Ammunition

Post by darticus »

Lots of good info here! I need to buy some 22 standard velocity LR copper plated tops but can't find them. Does anyone know where I can order them from and a brand. I have been checking all day. Thanks Ron
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thanks very much for the list. Trying to find which standard velocity has a plated copper head in this list. Thanks Ron
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

None of them.

Some are copper washed but actual for real plated is virtually unheard of.

However, if you simply look for the word "copper" in the list many will claim to be "copper plated" but it's not that tough to scratch through the "plating" with a fingernail.

Which is "best" is going to depend on your gun and your shooting habits and your shooting goals. Some swear by Eley, others won't use anything but Wolf, a lot of people like CCI and there is a strong Aguila following as well. A lot of people have really good luck with Federal and some folks really like the Gemtech ammo a lot. "Best" is subjective and depends quite a bit on equipment and skill.

It's very easy, just click on the link and scroll down until you see the word "copper" or once you're on the page use Ctrl+f to bring up a search box, type copper in the box and make sure "highlight all" is selected then look for the lines with the highlighted word.

There are a whole bunch in the list that claim to be "copper plated" all you need to do is click on the link and read the list.

Velocity will either be listed in the link or can be found by simply clicking one of the links with the word "copper" in it and looking for the velocity.

If you prefer you could search for the word "standard" instead and only click on the highlighted entries with the word "copper".
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thanks again. I live in NJ and its hard to find good ammo. Kmart doesn't sell ammo here anymore. You can't order ammo and send to NJ. cleaned the chamber area on the gun high standard "The Victor" and adjusted the magazine to match another good magazine. I will go to the range next week as you can't shoot in NJ if you can't get in the wood far enough. Crazy range they just shoot the target and blow the hell out on it. I try to shoot bulls and they shoot at the target anywhere. They shoot 100 rounds in about 10 mins and go home. We will check it out soon. Thanks Ron
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

What distance?

Any optic?

What size bull/groups are you getting now?