Savage MK2/AAC Element 2 Way off!

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

sparkgaps

Savage MK2/AAC Element 2 Way off!

Post by sparkgaps »

I need some wisdom and experience to solve an issue I'm having.

Have a Savage MK2 FVSR(22) with bull barrel, factory threaded (stock). Picatiny rail on top with Leupold 6x9x50.

Have it dialed in without suppressor at 30 yds (troubleshooting, not worrying about distance at this point).
Sighted in using CCI AR Tactical rounds (1200 FPS).

When I install the AAC Element 2 suppressor and send lead down range, I am about 16-18" left and about 3-5" low.

Bore and suppressor have been freshly cleaned. I see no baffle strikes which amazes me being this far off. No physical damage to the rifle or suppressor, it has been babied!

Using the Element 2 on my Ruger 22/45, accuracy is not a problem.

I did notice that the thread length on the Savage was longer then the Ruger pistol, so I put a machined spacer to make even and no fix. The MK2 thread length is approximately 1/2" (maybe a bit less). The Ruger 22/45 appears to be about .4". The spacer that I installed was .1" just to test apple/apple. Didn't help.

Using spacers that I have available, I spaced out the suppressor just to see what a different rotation seating on the barrel would do. With the suppressor threaded all the way up to the barrel, I see my shot pattern 16-18" left. I was able to rotate the suppressor about 120 degrees using what I have available. This did lower my shot pattern to about 12" left.

I have also tried other brands of ammo. CCI, Winchester, Remington, Quiet 22's, and subsonic rounds. All exhibit the same problem. I can sight in the rifle with each of these rounds without the suppressor and it's consistent... Once I put on the suppressor, shot pattern is WAY to the left.

This is the first and only suppressor that I own (5-7 years). Historically I've only used it on my pistols until lately... Which is when I uncovered this issue with the Savage MK2.

This guy on YouTube has same rifle/suppressor that I do and he seems to be loving life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILWt7Agaak

I'm definitely not a suppressor guru. Any of you with more experience see anything that I'm doing wrong or can try?

P.S. I have my baffles in a dip right now to get them squeaky clean for my next round of testing.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
mbogo300

Re: Savage MK2/AAC Element 2 Way off!

Post by mbogo300 »

Does the Element butt up to the shoulder of the threaded section of the barrel (without use of spacers)?
12 stamps and looking for one to put in jail. . :mrgreen:
sparkgaps

Post by sparkgaps »

Yes it does. The suppressor is seated up against the barrel with no spacers. Shoot about 16-18” to the left.
mbogo300

Post by mbogo300 »

It sounds like bad harmonics resulting from mounting the can.

Try using a $10 barrel dampener like the one from Limbsaver:

You may be able to improve your results. FWIW, a rimfire can shoot better with a little fouling in the bore.
12 stamps and looking for one to put in jail. . :mrgreen:
sparkgaps

Post by sparkgaps »

Put about 50 rounds through her yesterday while dipping the baffles. Barrel is fouled!

Attaching a couple pics of the clean and reassembly to let you veterans look at to see if you see anything that looks out of whack. Phone not letting me attach pics. Will post em when I get in front of my laptop.
sparkgaps

Post by sparkgaps »

I made an error in my first post. I have the Savage MKII TRR-SR.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firear ... ry&s=25752