***Warning***
PG-13 Now

www.MrPhotoGuy.com
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

The last thread about them:
viewtopic.php?t=15515

It seems they don't do much for the blow back, but are durable as heck.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

I've got one, the blow back is improved alright, but it's not totally gone. Is it worth the $90 or whatever I paid for it just for the lowered blow back? Probably not, but it is definitely tough if you should ever have to beat the s--t out of it like a speedo-wearing, illegal immigrant transvestite hustling smack on the playground. That and the big latch is a plus too, especially when wearing gloves.

I like mine. I'd buy another one for a future M4.
MrPhotoGuyInc
Silent But Deadly

Post by MrPhotoGuyInc »

04hemi wrote:I've got one, the blow back is improved alright, but it's not totally gone. Is it worth the $90 or whatever I paid for it just for the lowered blow back? Probably not, but it is definitely tough if you should ever have to beat the s--t out of it like a speedo-wearing, illegal immigrant transvestite hustling smack on the playground. That and the big latch is a plus too, especially when wearing gloves.

I like mine. I'd buy another one for a future M4.
w..

yea....shot my 10.5 with my m4-100..dammm... forgot to take my gas mask to range also... would have come in very handy... :P

On the lQQk out for one now :lol:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

***Warning***
PG-13 Now

www.MrPhotoGuy.com
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

just use high temp silicone onthe charging handle
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

chili17 wrote:just use high temp silicone onthe charging handle
+1

NRA High Power Shooters have been doing this for years.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Any details on the high temp silicone trick?
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

Selectedmarksman wrote:Any details on the high temp silicone trick?
Degrease the semi circular cut on the CH were it mates up to the back of the upper.
Put a thin film of grease on the rear surface of the upper to prevent silicone from sticking to it.
Use black silicone if you don't want it to be noticable.
Retract CH and spread a bead of silicone into the circular cut sufficient to fill the gap between the CH and upper when the handle is latched.
Latch CH.
Smooth silicione with a wet finger to make it neat.
Let dry.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Cool Trick. I will give it a try.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

This is one of the best instructional sites I've found for this.

I'm going to "sticky" this thread as this topic seems to come up alot, both in this section and elsewhere on the site.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
tejota1911
Silent Operator

Re: GAS BUSTER CHARGING HANDLE

Post by tejota1911 »

MrPhotoGuyInc wrote:Feed back wanted, is it worth it??

thanks
In short, if you run a suppressor, yes it is worth it. I use them in all of my ARs.
LMT MRP CQB 10.5" - KAC M4 QDSS-NT4
Ruger MkIII 22/45 W/ Pac-Lite Upper - AAC Pilot
Walther P22 - AAC Pilot
Kahr PM9
Ops Inc. 12th Model
chromeluv
Silent But Deadly

Post by chromeluv »

tejota1911 wrote:

thanks
In short, if you run a suppressor, yes it is worth it. I use them in all of my ARs.
I broke mine this weekend at the magpul class....sheared he large latch rigth off the handle...
tejota1911
Silent Operator

Post by tejota1911 »

chromeluv wrote:
tejota1911 wrote:

thanks
I broke mine this weekend at the magpul class....sheared he large latch rigth off the handle...
What would have happened to a regular charging handle? Are you going to be replacing it with another M84 Gasbuster, or are you going to be using a regular one? Was it just the latch that broke, or did the charging handle itself break? Can you just replace the tac latch?
LMT MRP CQB 10.5" - KAC M4 QDSS-NT4
Ruger MkIII 22/45 W/ Pac-Lite Upper - AAC Pilot
Walther P22 - AAC Pilot
Kahr PM9
Ops Inc. 12th Model
chromeluv
Silent But Deadly

Post by chromeluv »

tejota1911 wrote:
chromeluv wrote:
tejota1911 wrote: In short, if you run a suppressor, yes it is worth it. I use them in all of my ARs.
What would have happened to a regular charging handle? Are you going to be replacing it with another M84 Gasbuster, or are you going to be using a regular one? Was it just the latch that broke, or did the charging handle itself break? Can you just replace the tac latch?
its still a usable charging handle, and honeslty, i never saw much difference in the blowback with that PRi vs a standard suppressed

I like it due to its bulked up design, easier to get your hand on the handle itself..

I'll replace it with another PRi, or hopefully PRI will fix this one
CarlosDJackal
Silent Operator

Post by CarlosDJackal »

I like it for the following reasons:

- Larger size "T" handle and latch makes it easier to manupulate, specially when wearing gloves.
- Much stronger than the regular CHs.
- It DOES reduce the gas blowback. Based on my videos, most of the gas blowback comes out of the ejection port.

YMMV.
WolfiePacker
Senior Silent Operator

Post by WolfiePacker »

I was surprised how much it actually cut down on the gas from my 10.5" suppressed LMT, it was worth the money for me. Without it the gas would leave my eyes burning after each trip to the range it would get under my glasses. With the gasbuster its been reduced to what normally comes out of an unsuppressed rifle so shooting suppressed doesn't burn my eyes anymore.
uspc9mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by uspc9mm »

I took some pictures of the RTV job I did a while back.......Autozone has it in Tactical Grey. It seems to help cut down on the blowback quite a bit.

technique408

Post by technique408 »

thanks! :D
bigdog2003_99
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigdog2003_99 »

i also did the rtv trick in autozone gray lol
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I wanted to post an update to this. I'm sure most people already know this, but I did not.

I always wondered "why the red?" I saw that they make various colors, so why not something more "tactical" in color. I went to the Permatex gasket-maker page looking for a link to the product, and noticed that, kind of like Loctite, the colors are used to signify application.

Red is the product intended for high-temp
Orange is the product intended for high-temp, sensor safe applications
Copper is the maximum-temperature product

Obviously we have no sensors at the charging handle, so I see no use for the orange. Copper may be over-kill. The red is high-temp, but I wonder just how high-temp the gasses really are at that point? I've certainly never felt like I was being burned by blowback. It's more like piss-warm.

I also noticed that they have a black which is billed as being "maximum oil resistance". This, to me, seems like a good thing in this application. Assuming that the gasses aren't hot enough to merit "high temp" sealant, it strikes me that the wetness coming from blow-back is the lube used in the gun and that the ultimate wear of the sealant might be prolonged if an "oil resistant" product were used.

Just some food for thought. I think I'm going to be trying some red and some black. I would stay away from the grey and some of the others as they are billed as being "high rigidity" which seems bad to me in this use.
Last edited by rob_s on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Rob, thanks for the heads up. I have used the Red in the past, simply because that's what I had laying around from a valve cover gasket I replaced. I'm liking the Black oil resistant version. I may just rip off the red and try the black.

Hmmm... I have a spare charging handle laying around, I may leave the red and put the black on that one and swap them, see if there is a difference.
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

Tactical Black High Heat silicone. The gasbuster is a waste of coin. IMHO

Just be sure to let it set up good before testing your rifle unless you want Tactical Black High Heat silicone traumatically applied to your facial area.
Last edited by silverbulletexpress on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Last edited by Twinsen on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Twinsen wrote:I fired my supressed AR yesterday a bit. When I went to brush my teeth last night, the inside of my lips was black. I think I was literally eating the blowback.

Ewww, I gotta go get some high temp silicone!
:) yeah I never realized I shoot with my mouth open till I put a can on
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
kwin201
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwin201 »

i picked up some silicone that is rated up to 400 degrees farenheit, is that enough?