9MM AR MASTER THREAD

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

If it makes you feel any better, CProducts hasn't mailed back my money I paid for mine yet. They're located in the town in my state with both of the good gun stores, and best pizza place. So I can EASILY just bust through a door and magically be Mr. Loudnpissed.
MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

My .02

Post by MCASSgt New River »

What I currently have up and running:
RRA LAR-15 lower
RRA 9mm upper 16"
RRA ramped bolt
RRA bottom load mag block
9mm hammer
Uzi mags (that I mod'd)

This set up works well and has proven to be accurate out to 50yrds with WWB using a Eotech.

Items I have on-hand for my SBR conversion:
C3 Defense billet stripped SBR lower
RRA 9mm upper
RRA 10.5" barrel (I will have cut to 7")
YHM Specter length FF handguards
Gemtech 9mm MultiMount Suppressor (in both 3-lug & 1/2x28)

I will take the bolt, mag block and mag's from the other weapon to complete this build mean while I'll send off the 16" upper to either SRT or Anvil to build it into a integrally suppressed upper.

Now if I was back at home instead of Iraq I'd be happy to build this and take some pics for ya'll but I digress I can not....look for pics in 6 or so months!
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Re: My .02

Post by DEVIL DOC »

MCASgt New River wrote:What I currently have up and running:
RRA LAR-15 lower
RRA 9mm upper 16"
RRA ramped bolt
RRA bottom load mag block
9mm hammer
Uzi mags (that I mod'd)

This set up works well and has proven to be accurate out to 50yrds with WWB using a Eotech.

Items I have on-hand for my SBR conversion:
C3 Defense billet stripped SBR lower
RRA 9mm upper
RRA 10.5" barrel (I will have cut to 7")
YHM Specter length FF handguards
Gemtech 9mm MultiMount Suppressor (in both 3-lug & 1/2x28)

I will take the bolt, mag block and mag's from the other weapon to complete this build mean while I'll send off the 16" upper to either SRT or Anvil to build it into a integrally suppressed upper.

Now if I was back at home instead of Iraq I'd be happy to build this and take some pics for ya'll but I digress I can not....look for pics in 6 or so months!
Worry about getting home safe leather neck (jar head). That's alot to look forward to :shock: . Range report on return. Devil doc (2/6 echo CO weapons plt SOC) Errr!
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Post by Dark Tranquility »

It looks like RRA is now making 9mm lowers with no mag block. It doesn’t say if they use Colt magazines but I would assume so.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=241

Dan
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

They all come out the same, so you know what you're getting into if you buy it that way. But it isn't adjustable, so expect to have to make mods to the mags you buy.
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Twinsen wrote: But it isn't adjustable, so expect to have to make mods to the mags you buy.
Why? I've never had to adjust quality AR15 magazines.

Thanks, Dan
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Doing 9mm is obviously not part of the original intent of the firearm, considering the funny placement of tiny magazines into the magwell. A lot of people find different Colt pattern mags to sit too low or too high or some angle that does not allow feeding. Often you can just adjust your magwell and the mags sit right.

With this setup, you can't adjust your magwell. So if the mags you buy don't work perfectly, you have to mod the mags. I've seen Promags, CProducts mags, and Metalform not fit the new magwell (on the internet). And people that have modded Uzi mags for their old gun have them not work in the new one, stuff like that. If your plan is to mod Uzi mags and not have a LRBHO, then this is no problem at all. But if you have another 9mm AR, you may find that you can't use the same mags in both guns.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

FWIW, the Colt mag block is pinned in place and not adjustable.

I would only be worried about being able to adjust the mag block if I was looking to use sub-standard magazines.

Unfortunately, if the internet rumors are true, sub-standard magazines may be all that's available.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCASSgt New River »

I'm running a RRA bottom loading mag block that allows me to use the mag release as it should be used. I managed to mod my uzi mags by dissassembling them and matching them up to one of my Colt mags. I penciled in the mag release and the relief for the last round bolt hold open the best I could for starters.

Being an extreme novice, self-proclaimed, smith I ripped into them with my dremel tool, with sparks a'flying! :shock: Every single mag seats, feeds and operates almost perfectly with minimal to no wobble or slop.

The mod process got easier as I did them so don't worry too much, it's so easy a cave man can do it. Cosmetically they got better as I worked through the six mags that needed the mod. Now I'm a happy owner of 6 32-round mags that I made myself.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

rob_s wrote:FWIW, the Colt mag block is pinned in place and not adjustable.

I would only be worried about being able to adjust the mag block if I was looking to use sub-standard magazines.

Unfortunately, if the internet rumors are true, sub-standard magazines may be all that's available.
Spikes gets there 9mm mags from the same maker that Colt used to
and they are exactly the same as my older Colts.
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.p ... cts_id=216
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

and at $40+/ea I would tend to believe you!
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

rob_s wrote:and at $40+/ea I would tend to believe you!
The best mags for you because I know how much love you have
for CProd :lol:
The maker for the old Colt and the Spikes
http://metalformcompany.thomasnet.com/i ... 4?&seo=110
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

I really don’t mind paying 40+ per magazine as long as they work 100% of the time.

I would just purchase directly from metalform.

I have an email into RRA asking about the availability of their designated integral 9mm lowers. I’ll let you guys know what I find out.

Dan
SturmGrenadier
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SturmGrenadier »

Thanks Gato for starting this thread. I am currently researching the same.

Thank you to everyone who has added their experiences. It has been very helpful.
Mr_Psmith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr_Psmith »

I got my bottom-load mag block years ago (long before RRA was in to 9mm). I don't remember who made it.

It has an allen key which tightens it into the magwell. It runs like a champ in my RR with Colt 635 upper.

Any idea who might have made it?
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

We've had at least 3, maybe 4, new threads on 9mm ARs started lately. Let's all try to keep the posts in this one thread related to the 9mm AR so we can have one, sole-source master thread for everyone to use as a reference.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Update on my 9mm AR:
~The CProducts plastic magblock was a piece of crap that did not work in 3 of my guns. I returned it, they sent me a check that cleared.
~The RRA magblock worked since I put it flush with the lower, it just works.
~The CProducts mags work perfectly. One of them had extra weld material that stopped it from being loaded into the magwell. I took a file to it, and it works as flawlessly as the other four that I have. The finish isn't perfect, but I've yet to have sexual intercourse with a man, so it doesn't bother me.
~The highly used lower that I purchased had some slightly egged hammer pin holes, so I went to KNS anti rotate pins to stop the pins from walking constantly.

The gun has had no problems since replacing the CProducts plastic magblock with the RRA one. I haven't had to adjust anything other than filing that bit of metal off of one magazine.
Last edited by Twinsen on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

So, do you need to use a 9mm upper? Or just the barrel? Is there any difference between the 9mm and .223 uppers other than the brass deflector?
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

The main differences between the 9mm uppers are that the 9mm upper has no integral brass deflector as the brass deflector is a plastic piece attached via the ejection port cove pivot pin. The other difference is that there is no hole in the front of the upper for the gas tube.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

And often 9mm uppers have no hole for the forward assist either.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Twinsen wrote:And often 9mm uppers have no hole for the forward assist either.
Yes! Thank you. Should have recalled that.

To the OP, 9mm uppers are essentially "slick side" in that they have no brass deflector and no forward assist. They lack the gas tube hole in the front because the 9mm AR does not use a gas tube.
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

@ Twinsen, how are the RRA magazine blocks? I tried to check them out at the RRA website, but they don't even have a picture, much less any info. I am kinda liking the idea of the Hahn bottom loading block that is the quick change model.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

It's the only one I've had that works, I've never been near a Hahn. I know that the Hahn has feed ramp cuts like an M4 barrel and that the RRA doesn't. I also know that hasn't stopped my RRA mag block from being literally 100% reliable.

My gun jammed when it got very very dirty once, and it would fail to chamber another round when cycling every single try. I took out the bolt, rubbed the face against the palm of my hand to remove a large chunk of s--t, and then it functioned perfectly every shot since. It's hard to believe it isn't that dirty again, because the fire control group of this thing looks like the wheel well of a monster truck.

I'll dig up pictures for you of the differences that I see in them. Although everything RRA that I've touched has impressed me, maybe that isn't hard to do.

Mother effer, I go and take pictures of my gun and yahoo image search beats me.
RRA:

Hahn:

The RRA doesn't have those little feed ramp cuts.

I need an excuse to post pics of how dirty that gun is. The crack between the upper and lower around the bolt buffer is just filled with green and black s--t. There's never been any movement between the two, but now opening and closing the two scrapes junk off. I've never had a centerfire this dirty, and I've shot them all much more than this one. Edit: Screw it, that was too fun to not post.

Most of the crud is on the inner sides of the receivers, so it isn't in the picture.
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

That's pretty nasty alright. Thanks for the info.
seacoastnh
Elite Member

Post by seacoastnh »

Twinsen wrote:It's the only one I've had that works, I've never been near a Hahn. I know that the Hahn has feed ramp cuts like an M4 barrel and that the RRA doesn't. I also know that hasn't stopped my RRA mag block from being literally 100% reliable.
Does the RRA 9mm lower with the integral magwell on the RRA website have the same magwell as the one in your picture only permanently installed?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/popup.cfm? ... ow_pop.gif

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... N=62645791