Sig 229 Threaded Barrel

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Three Eye

Sig 229 Threaded Barrel

Post by Three Eye »

I recently purchased a Sig 229 threaded barrel from Top Gun Supply. Their service was GREAT!! But when I tried to install the barrel on my Sig 229, as a replcement barrel, I cannot move the slide back, far enough to turn the slide release lever. The treaded barrel is from Germany, marked 9mmPara on one side and Sig Sauer DE on the other. Underneath the barrel is a number 001130. My problem seems to be with the barrel locking in battery as the slide is moved back, and not releasing to drop down as the slide moves to the rear. The barrel that came with the slide works fine.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

I have an e-mail in to TGS.

Thanks.
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sig 229 Threaded Barrel

Post by WasDustyJacket »

Three Eye wrote:I recently purchased a Sig 229 threaded barrel from Top Gun Supply. Their service was GREAT!! But when I tried to install the barrel on my Sig 229, as a replcement barrel, I cannot move the slide back, far enough to turn the slide release lever. The treaded barrel is from Germany, marked 9mmPara on one side and Sig Sauer DE on the other. Underneath the barrel is a number 001130. My problem seems to be with the barrel locking in battery as the slide is moved back, and not releasing to drop down as the slide moves to the rear. The barrel that came with the slide works fine.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

I have an e-mail in to TGS.

Thanks.
OK, what caliber is the threaded barrel? 9mm?
What caliber was your P229 originally.

The barrel for the P229 in 9mm is thinner than the .357SIG or .40S&W.
So, a 9mm conversion barrel for a P229 originally in .357SIG or .40S&W is thinner than the 9mm barrel in a P229 that was originally 9mm.

I used to have a P229 USTB (in 9mm) and got a 9mm replacement that was threaded metrically, and it was a drop-in with no problems. (It is for sale.)
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
Three Eye

Post by Three Eye »

Thanks silent but deadly. When I came back to look at all the answers, I thought I had hit the jackpot instead of the crackpot who preceded your response!

My Sig 229 is a newer 9mm, which I got to replace a Sig 229 Elite, which was stolen. The Elite was in 40 S&W and I got .357 Sig and Barsto 9mm barrels for it, so I know about the Barrel diameter. The threaded barrel was a Sig part from a highly reliable parts dealer. The label on the barrel wrapping indicated 229. The barrel would lock up tight when placed in the upside down slide. But when I tried to slide it on the receiver, it stopped way short of being able to turn the takedown lever.

The dealer and I measured my barrel against another they had in stock, and the seemed to be the same. So I took the gun to a local gunsmith who insisted the treaded barrel was really for a 226. The dealer suggested I buy the Barsto barrel fitting DVD, which I did, but still couldn't get the gun reassembled.

My dim bulb finally lit and I put the original 9mm barrel and the threaded one upside down on a flat surface and compared them from the breach end. the feed ramp and the locking lug forward of it on the threaded barrel were noticeably higher by about 1/32". There was no way I could have filed enough on that barrel to have it fit.

So I called the dealer and have returned the barrel. My current hypothesis is that the packaging was mislabeled at the factory in Germany.

Time will tell! Thanks for your help.
Three Eye

Post by Three Eye »

After all the spam, I just want to close the loop on this issue.

I returned the barrel to the seller, after I had repeatedly taken material off the bottom of the feed ramp where the problem seems to be. The seller (I now reveal it was Top Gun Supply) called me to indicate the barrel I sent back fit three of the 229's they tried it on, with no adjustments. I trust them, implicitly!!

So, the barrel is coming back. They recommend that I be a little more agressive in removing material (I used a ceramic knife sharpener instead of a file.) So, I have purchased a digital micrometer, something I always wanted!!

Wish me luck!! This is the most expensive barrel switch I have ever made! That includes Barsto and another maker (EFK), whose products dropped in, no problem.

I would have thought better of SigSauer's quality control!!
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I cleaned out the offending spam posts. Annoying but no harm done.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
robincooper

Post by robincooper »

I found good review here
As I undestand according to these review you can sharp any knife with these kits