Moderator: mpallett

Braidon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Braidon »

ummm I stand corrected.... not lame... very nice, more please :) :D
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

English Long bowman were the elite ... the snipers of their time.

The principles of the tool has not changed but similar but Different the different is HUGE.

Archery has come leaps and bounds over the last 50 years. Materials and design has put archery into a new light.

Just watch a real professional for a while.

The killing power of a bow dwarfs a 9mm. They take BIG game with a bow.

I no longer hunt with a bow. My cousin just started and took a deer in archery and Black Powder. He was AMAZED at the killing power of the bow ..

Even RAMBO knows you can blow a helicopter up with one! (and some other magic tricks too)

But seriously it;s a good way to teach discipline and develop skills.

When is the Bow registry go into effect? TAX stamp for each arrow or is it for the bow or the cat's whiskers?

Seems the cross bow has been demonized just like the silencer.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

I wouldn't call it killing power. I would call it killing ability. You agree John?

Bows, the 300 whisper, and 310gr flat nose hardcast 44 all have a lot of killing ability, but they don't have a lot of power/energy.
Seems the cross bow has been demonized just like the silencer.
True. Growing up in MI they were thought to be a tool that only a poacher would use... just like silencers.

Now they can be used for hunting there and everyone is up in arms. Same thing happened when compound bows became mainstream.

The same guys that bitch because their 4x4 got all busted up when they drove through a f'n herd of deer will bitch that they have legalized crossbows. :roll:
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Archery racks up a ton of kills every year. No debating it, it's a real weapon. That's why an airsoft section would be Brokeback Mountain gay, and archery isn't. Airsoft= fake weapons; archery=real weapons. Real, low noise weapons.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

smcharchan wrote:I wouldn't call it killing power. I would call it killing ability. You agree John?

Bows, the 300 whisper, and 310gr flat nose hardcast 44 all have a lot of killing ability, but they don't have a lot of power/energy.
Agreed ... Energy is not what kills with handguns (contrary to some people's beliefs)or archery.. we all know it's blood loss and nerve damage. the "energy" is an indicator of possible penetration.

With the speeds and weights of some arrows matched with high tech cutting designs.... Like cutting a hole 1.5" across .. or having a spring loaded 12" long razor blade coiled in the tip can cause MASSIVE cutting power.

Most arrows can punch through most hide and even bone and still get the job done.... Unlike a mushroomed bullet as an animal moves if the arrow and tip are still in the vitals every movement cuts more tissue. producing even more blood loss.

One of the best things is if you miss and only nick an animal.. it is a clean cut and has a much better chance of healing and surviving.

Unlike a nick with a bullet which will rip and cause a real nasty wound that will not heal and cause a long painful death.

Shot placement is harder with a bow. A person who hunts should hone their skills to insure a good clean kill. (as any hunter should)
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
tuff

Post by tuff »

Archery is cool.. I have been flinging arrows for quite a few years and realy enjoy it..

Here is a picture of a new bowhunter that I filmed harvesting his first buck with archery gear..

Image[/img]