Moderator: mpallett

silencertalk
Site Admin

LED tracer nocks

Post by silencertalk »

smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

This video is filled with poor choices regarding shot angles and bad shot placement, but it is interesting nonetheless.

It is lumenok brand, a competitor of the brand you listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt9pUraM4u4
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

smcharchan wrote:This video is filled with poor choices regarding shot angles and bad shot placement, but it is interesting nonetheless.

I can't believe you can hunt bear with Bow and Arrow...
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

My cousin does it all the time. He has great photos. Super hard core.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

BWT wrote:
smcharchan wrote:This video is filled with poor choices regarding shot angles and bad shot placement, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Why not?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

BWT wrote:

smharchan hunts cougars with his bare hands. The cougars aren't a problem for him, but if his wife finds out...
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

chrismartin wrote:smharchan hunts cougars
Aww, shucks, it was easy - I was stationed in Hawaii for three years.
chrismartin wrote:his wife
Yeah, how the mighty have fallen.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

smcharchan wrote:
BWT wrote:

Why not?
Didn't know they'd penetrate well enough, I guess.

How many pound bow do you need? (Pull Weight wise)
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

I love the shot with the "POSTED" sign in frame at around 1:30 :roll:
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

A bow is big bad mo-jo

They take BIG game with them. Black Bear Pfffft no big deal. In one side out the other.

http://bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/art ... /capebuff/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv7UYdUiU4E
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

My wife got me a pack or two of these as stocking stuffers. I love her! :D
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
tuff

Post by tuff »

BWT wrote:
smcharchan wrote:
BWT wrote: I can't believe you can hunt bear with Bow and Arrow...
Why not?
Didn't know they'd penetrate well enough, I guess.

How many pound bow do you need? (Pull Weight wise)

It all boils down to a sharp broadhead and a well placed shot, there have been tons of animals harvested with 40lb traditional archery gear..
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Re: LED tracer nocks

Post by Joker31D »

Best lighted nock is Lumenok, hands down....Brightest and doesn't have a switch to fail. They have the Patent on the switchless design.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Joker31D wrote:Best lighted nock is Lumenok, hands down....Brightest and doesn't have a switch to fail. They have the Patent on the switchless design.

I've had more trouble with the Lumenoks turning on than the cheap-o's from Academy. They WERE brighter when they did come on though. The ones I have turn on by a small lump in the curve of the nock that is depressed by the string when the arrow launches.....they never fail to turn on. If I can think of the name I'll edit my post.

Has Lumenok come out with something new in the last 5 years or so that I'm not aware of?

Thanks
I've gotta stop this habit.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

yeah, they started making their own nocks instead of having someone else make them. They also are one of the only made in the us lighted nocks there are. Had a problem with the very first ones but havent had a problem since. It seems like the 180deg contacts have really made them reliable.

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Joker31D wrote:yeah, they started making their own nocks instead of having someone else make them. They also are one of the only made in the us lighted nocks there are. Had a problem with the very first ones but havent had a problem since. It seems like the 180deg contacts have really made them reliable.

Good to know they've changed up the contacts a bit. I'll pick some up and try em out October 1st when the deer season kicks off down here. They were a hell of a lot brighter than the ones I'm currently using WHEN they did come on.

Thanks

Do you use them when you practice shooting or save them for when hunting only? I like to practice with exactly what I'm going to use when I hunt but hate the fact that I'm just burning the batteries while practicing. Since I'm not the best archer in South Louisiana I prolly wouldn't notice a difference between plain plastic nocks and the Lumenoks when it comes to accuracy anyways.....just anal about stupid things sometimes :lol:
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I just happen to be added to their Pro Staff so I get a certain amount for cost each year, so I have been using a 3 pack in my practice sessions, I am also using some plain nock ones and some Gander Mountain also, I just use them for a crossbow because I was wounded in Afghanistan and am unable to draw a regular bow. but yeah I use a mix of regular and Lumenok's to practice. You should try them and a new thing I'm testing now is called an extinguisher, it works very well or at least the prototype I'm trying does, it attaches to my bolts when I'm not using it and I have used it to pull a bolt out of bone with it so far and to turn the nock off during practice. Make sure you have a good target and use wider pointed field tips to keep it from going to the fletching, which is the problem I'm having lately. My bow is too powerful for my target so I put some expanded MDF behind it (Soak MDF in water to get it to expand) I just ordered some Pink ones so my daughter can use them this hunting season, she doesnt know they are going to be pink yet, let her get the surprise when she shoots a Buck with them. I'll let her use my green ones to practice with, then add the pink ones in to her quiver. Cant wait to see her face, she's using a Jackal and I use a Barnett Brotherhood, I love my bow, its perfect for my use. My blog (Link is in my Sig) shows the stuff I'm using and some stuff i'm testing

OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Joker31D wrote:I just happen to be added to their Pro Staff so I get a certain amount for cost each year, so I have been using a 3 pack in my practice sessions, I am also using some plain nock ones and some Gander Mountain also, I just use them for a crossbow because I was wounded in Afghanistan and am unable to draw a regular bow. but yeah I use a mix of regular and Lumenok's to practice. You should try them and a new thing I'm testing now is called an extinguisher, it works very well or at least the prototype I'm trying does, it attaches to my bolts when I'm not using it and I have used it to pull a bolt out of bone with it so far and to turn the nock off during practice. Make sure you have a good target and use wider pointed field tips to keep it from going to the fletching, which is the problem I'm having lately. My bow is too powerful for my target so I put some expanded MDF behind it (Soak MDF in water to get it to expand) I just ordered some Pink ones so my daughter can use them this hunting season, she doesnt know they are going to be pink yet, let her get the surprise when she shoots a Buck with them. I'll let her use my green ones to practice with, then add the pink ones in to her quiver. Cant wait to see her face, she's using a Jackal and I use a Barnett Brotherhood, I love my bow, its perfect for my use. My blog (Link is in my Sig) shows the stuff I'm using and some stuff i'm testing

First off....THANKS THANKS THANKS for serving in our military!!!! It's greatly appreciated by this coonass and I'm sorry to hear you were wounded while serving. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with using a crossbow. I feel anything that is allowed and gets people out in the field is a great thing. And hell, it's a challenge to use a crossbow. Animals still gotta be pretty close to put one down. Louisiana legalized them for anybody to use the year after I bought my Bowtech so I'm still using my bow. Otherwise, I'd be using a crossbow just cause I can't hold my bow drawn for very long. Tough to draw on em in a tower stand in the marsh with NOTHING to hide you. Luckily they're pretty stupid here and half the time you can draw while they're looking right at you. Killed my biggest and oldest with a bow and he watched me draw and sling three arrows at his ass. Guess he needed to be taken outta the gene pool if I got to draw, loose, bend down, nock another arrow and repeat the process three times while he was within 35 yards.

I think it's great that your daughter hunts with you as well. Mine doesn't do deer, but does come with me a couple times a year during the spring for turkey. It's nice to see women get into hunting.....wish my wife would come sit in the stand with me....would make the slow hunts soooo much nicer when there's something to play with! :lol:

Gonna use a Bass Pro gift card right now and pick up some Lumenoks for this season.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I was recently made the National director for shooting sports of a Wounded Veterans non-profit and I'm starting to realize that there is a need for all forms of hunting. I had to recently get a S&W R8 for a guy to hunt with during deer season because the wheelchair he uses is only able to have a light pistol mounted to it. I added the R8 to it by using an inverted Picatinney mount to latch on to the front mount of the R8. It worked well and he was happy to get rid of the AR pistol he had there previously that was way too big for his chair. He donated it and I am updating some of the parts and passing it on to one of our other vets that needs an AR, this time I'm changing it to 6.8spc and adding a pistol scope for it to be more useful. the important thing is getting people in the field, a lot of the guys I help take their wives out hunting because they need them to help them medically. They need to have them help with oxygen, clearing their breathing tubes, help with a lot of daily living stuff. So I find myself training a lot of wives to help out and its great, it is the ultimate in dedication to another person. I do what I can like give them Gift cards to spas and send gift baskets when I can afford it, send my wife by to help out.... it all helps.

I spend my own money for everything, donations only get used to directly help the Vets so the rifles/pistols etc come out of my own pocket and mine are shallow because I only get a VA check and thats all. Some manufacturers help out a little by sending cleaning kits (Otis) and Lumenok helps by giving discounts to us for a few sets a year but it all adds up. I even spend my own money for Gas to take guys to events and the non-profit is set up so we cannot take a penny without the board voting for things, I even buy range time to get guys sighted in before deer season. I traded a few things to get the R8 for the guy my old original scattergun technologies 18" 870 and a Benelli nova... I know I'm going to wish I kept both but the guy deserved it.