Carbon arrows / tungsten points

Moderator: mpallett

silencertalk
Site Admin

Carbon arrows / tungsten points

Post by silencertalk »

The best target arrows are now $800 per dozen. That is a lot.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

And since they nick each other... a bad investment IMO.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I think though if you splurge and get the tungsten points, they can outlast many shafts (unless you miss the target and lose them). But does not seem to help performance and the price does not justify the increase in durability.

http://www.archery-interchange.net/foru ... nts-4.html
1. The highest STAR FITA score shot in history with a recurve (1405) is with an X10 and stainless steel Easton points at 110 grains. All the top Korean recurve shooters use X10 shafts with stainless points.

2. I originally developed tungsten points in 1992, to accompany the ACE as a means of extending front-of-center balance a few percent with the same mass weight (cg of point outside the shaft). This was at a time when use of a 100 grain point was on the heavy side of acceptability for use. Due to the density of the tungsten, the point was a two-piece component using a tungsten head on a HS steel shank. Cost was deemed prohibitive, and these were never released to the public.

3. While the original 2-piece stainless points for X10 shafts were adequate, in some compounds on some hard target butts, in heavy winds, the point shank could be bent. I re-launched the tungsten point project in 1997 in order to address this specific issue. The X10 one-piece tungsten point is also much easier to properly glue into the shaft, and is extremely durable. It also allows a heavier point option without an excessivly long shank. The tungsten alloy used in the X10 point is not commercially available, it is made by a US defense contractor to military specifications using a special densification process and is stronger and denser than any commercial grade tungsten.

4. In 1999, Easton reformulated the original stainless steel points to a much stronger precipitation hardened steel alloy which is still used today. This nearly completely eliminates the possibility of point bending.

5. I am not aware of anyone at Easton declaring that the tungsten point is required for high performance. It enhances product durability.

OB and Stretch are welcome to ask any questions with respect to the above.

Stretch, I personally use 100 grain Tungsten points.
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

I'm pushing 340-360fps... when pulling in doors a lot of shops use synthetic foliage (fake ass trees)... with warn game I can trans-pass the foam and jam a foe-pine... $67 dollars later I'm pissed... in other words... PASS!! rather get some custom silver shafts and look for werewolfs...
chinga_le

Re: Carbon arrows / tungsten points

Post by chinga_le »

rsilvers wrote:The best target arrows are now $800 per dozen. That is a lot.
that's outrageous!

i get pissed when i lose/damage an $8 arrow.
tuff

Post by tuff »

DAMN!! Thats insane... but at the end of the day and you are a world championship level competitor and some body else is paying for them I guess its not all the bad..
targetarcher

Post by targetarcher »

Yeah, but when you get thousands of shots out of a dozen arrows, it doesn't look so bad anymore, does it? (Here's looking at you, .338 Lapua shooters) :wink: We actually have little aluminum pins in the nocks that deflect other arrows so you don't split them as often. Handy invention.

Like reloading, they're also cheaper if you roll your own. Not as huge savings at the high end as for run of the mill hunting arrows, but still significant.

And yeah, between my roommate and I, we have a few dozen of these floating around the apartment.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I did Biathlon in High School and dated a girl who was a World Class Archer, she used Tungsten points in the 1990's they were taken out of competition I thought because of conductive targeting. (they used a grid behind the target to gather information that was conductive) she told me that she had to switch to Stainless because it messed with the Targets. Easton and Alcoa were paying for her stuff I do know that because I remember seeing a $10,000 Easton Bow that was built one off for her thrown on the floor of our apartment. I didnt know how expensive it was when I threw it off the balcony because she was a slob.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Thanks for bringing back this 5 year old thread to tell us about your ex-girlfriend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895