Bushing Mounted 1911 suppressor

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Bushing Mounted 1911 suppressor

Post by LavaRed »

Good evening to you all. I would like to ask of you gentlemen about the soundness of building a bushing with a threaded extension to mount a suppressor on my M1911A1. I know that it will most likely not cycle, and I am ok with that; what worries me the most is whether the bullet will have cleared the barrel before it tips up, and thus would I be in danger of a baffle strike.
The reason I ask this and why I don't simply go with a threaded barrel is because these items are very expensive in my country, and here one is forced to register every barrel, which is a difficult and lengthy process. So I thought it would be best this way.
Thank you for your help,
LavaRed
Dave Erickson
Industry Professional

Post by Dave Erickson »

Will not work for a myriad of reasons.
Condition One Pistolsmithing, LTD.
www.conditionone.us
[email protected]

www.louderthanwords.us
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Please elaborate good sir. I am very willing to learn.
Thanks,
LavaRed
Dave Erickson
Industry Professional

Post by Dave Erickson »

For starters, the barrel is not on a parallel axis to the slide when the gun is in battery. A bushing-mounted suppressor, mounted perpendicularly to the slide's axis would experience baffle strikes if the silencer's bore were not grossly oversized or able to otherwise compensate for this.

You acknowledged that it wouldn't likely cycle (you'd get one shot with catastrophic equipment damage), so why is this idea a consideration?
www.conditionone.us
[email protected]

www.louderthanwords.us
Keaner
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Keaner »

In many countries, the component that is registered through the government is the barrel, not the frame.

Because of this, the cost of a new barrel is insane!

To the OP, you are best off grabbing a threaded extension for the barrel you have! It would solve the problem!
Dave Erickson
Industry Professional

Post by Dave Erickson »

Keaner wrote: To the OP, you are best off grabbing a threaded extension for the barrel you have! It would solve the problem!
I've never seen one for a 1911 barrel. Inadequate wall thickness.
www.conditionone.us
[email protected]

www.louderthanwords.us
Keaner
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Keaner »

really, I didn't know that... I would think it would be possible, as long as you can thread a barrel normally. I would talk to tornado tech to see what would have to be done.
Dave Erickson
Industry Professional

Post by Dave Erickson »

Well, perhaps you could. I have never seen a barrel extension available for a .45ACP 1911 barrel. I figured there might be a reason for that.

If someone would venture to do this, I am curious as to how stable it can be made. Would the extension be rifled as the barrel is? Left as freebore? I'm no ballistics expert nor an engineer, so I may be overlooking something.

If it is possible, I think Mike at TT would be the man!
www.conditionone.us
[email protected]

www.louderthanwords.us
Keaner
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Keaner »

I think the reason they you never see an extended a 1911, is because long barrels are so easy to find! Its easier to just thread a barrel, than to extend one.
Ron1911

Re: Bushing Mounted 1911 suppressor

Post by Ron1911 »

It will work with this product. However, due to the weight added to the slide, it will not cycle and you'll have to manually cycle the slide for each shot.
https://www.ftfindustries.com/product/RP-1911BB1.html