Bathroom question.

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't see how a 30 year old could *never* use a public restroom for that. I avoid it greatly, but maybe at least once a year I do. I unholster my pistol and rest it on my pants as 3101 suggests.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

I use a clip on IWB holster so I just take the holster with gun in it and put it on top of the toilet tank or paper roll dispenser. Subcompacts are very adaptable like that.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
carl1000
Silent Operator

Post by carl1000 »

I use public resrooms all the time - I travel on the road 150 days ofthe year...did it for the last 8 years. No problems here - it does suck somtimes, but how one could hold it that long is beyond my comprehension...haha :wink: :D
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

rsilvers wrote:I don't see how a 30 year old could *never* use a public restroom for that. I avoid it greatly, but maybe at least once a year I do. I unholster my pistol and rest it on my pants as 3101 suggests.
I totally agree. I learned long ago that the discomfort of using even a moderately to significantly funky public restroom is minimal compared the discomfort of holding it in for an hour before you can get home. If you gotta go, be a man and go. :lol:
thunderhole
Silent But Deadly

Post by thunderhole »

When you guys talk about hanging your piece on the coat hook you don't mean by the triggerguard do you?
"A long time ago being crazy meant something. Now everybody's crazy."-Charles Manson
700PSS
Elite Member

Man's pistol blasts toilet to pieces

Post by 700PSS »

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11451417

Police said the man told them his pistol fell out of the holster and fired into the toilet as he was pulling up his pants.

"The gun fell out of the holster, striking the tile floor," Child said. "When the gun hit the floor, it went off. ... The man was hit by some of the porcelain in the arm, causing some small lacerations."

I don't see how this happened as stated. Modern handguns have firing pin blocks/drop safeties that would prevent this. Since this is a .40 and we know that cartridge did not exist before the 90's, this would be a modern firearm.
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

thunderhole wrote:When you guys talk about hanging your piece on the coat hook you don't mean by the triggerguard do you?
they do
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

Doink67 wrote:
thunderhole wrote:When you guys talk about hanging your piece on the coat hook you don't mean by the triggerguard do you?
they do
Lanyard hook comes in handy for that too. Use a short length of paracord through the loop. Personally, I go for the hammock or hold the gun in hand method.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: Man's pistol blasts toilet to pieces

Post by Artful »

700PSS wrote:http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11451417

Police said the man told them his pistol fell out of the holster and fired into the toilet as he was pulling up his pants.

"The gun fell out of the holster, striking the tile floor," Child said. "When the gun hit the floor, it went off. ... The man was hit by some of the porcelain in the arm, causing some small lacerations."

I don't see how this happened as stated. Modern handguns have firing pin blocks/drop safeties that would prevent this. Since this is a .40 and we know that cartridge did not exist before the 90's, this would be a modern firearm.
Kahr P40 as I understand - DOA striker fired no external safety lever.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

You mean you guys don't just hand the pistol to your personal assistant while you crap?
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

WTF?? Is it really possible for a kahr to fire if dropped??
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Davo5o wrote:WTF?? Is it really possible for a kahr to fire if dropped??
viewtopic.php?t=33704&highlight=
chrismartin wrote:The striker fired pistol is more safe than a glock (at rest), the striker is not under tension like the glock (even though that's not much), still has a spring holding it and a firing pin block. Even with no FP block, there would be no way a drop could overcome the FP spring and fire the round. I think it started to fall and he grabbed it, pulling the trigger, or he was re-holstering it and fired the round.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Sounds like he was fingering it to me.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Might have tried to grab it as it fell, might have fucked up and said he dropped it.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

He was taking a s--t, and fucking with his gun. Good thing his pants were down, otherwise they would have been full! :shock: :lol: :lol:
karmapolice
Silent But Deadly

Post by karmapolice »

Adult Diapers, the world is my bathroom.
dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dcmdon »

zipper only to pee.

if you've got more serious business at hand, one option is to once in the stall, remove the gun and hang it from the trigger guard on the coat hook on the back of the door.

I hesitate to recommend this because there are a lot of things that can go wrong here. Negligent discharge, you could forget to retrieve it. Either way, its another option if you dont have any other choice.

Don
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

700PSS wrote: viewtopic.php?t=33704&highlight=
chrismartin wrote:The striker fired pistol is more safe than a glock (at rest), the striker is not under tension like the glock (even though that's not much), still has a spring holding it and a firing pin block. Even with no FP block, there would be no way a drop could overcome the FP spring and fire the round. I think it started to fall and he grabbed it, pulling the trigger, or he was re-holstering it and fired the round.
I should note that I revised my statement referenced above slightly (check the link). My mistake was saying that the FP was under no tension. After looking at m Kahr (PM9) I was mistaken. The striker is under tension, similar to the Glock. Still safe though, and I would say, probably still less of a chance to go off than the Glock. The design of the sear/trigger bar and the weight of the trigger, along with the active firing pin safety means that if it were a stock pistol, there is no way it could have gone off. Even if the firing pin block was disabled, it would have to over come a huge sear surface and a ton of tension from the trigger return and FP springs. If the sear surface were reduced AND the FP block were disabled, only then would I call it possible. Those modifications though would still dictate me calling this a user error ND. Either he was dicking with it or he snagged something when re-holstering.
Derek D
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Derek D »

yeah i think thats what they mean when they said just make sure you dont hit the trigger when you take it off the coat hook
Id rather be caught with one than without one
dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dcmdon »

The guy was talking crap. A Glock or a Kahr will not fire if dropped. In addition to one other internal safety, both have firing pin (striker) safeties. The striker cant move forward unless the trigger is pulled.

The gun cant just malfunction. If the striker is broken in half, it is conceivable for this to happen, but then it would be very obvious that there was a problem with a gun. Botom line is that an otherwise functional glock or Kahr wont go bang if dropped.

The obvious truth is that the guy was either screwing around with the gun, or he grabbed for it as it fell and it went off.

Re hanging my glock on the hook on the bathroom door. The times I've done this was at IDPA matches. At this point the gun has been opened, checked, and the "hammer" dropped on an empty chamber, then the gun is holstered. In this condition, the glock trigger is already in the rear position. Thats what I hang on the door. (still obeying the rule not to point it at anything I dont want to kill, which is why I use an end stall, with the gun pointed towards the wall)

I would in no way ever advocate hanging a loaded gun on the door in a public place while you did your business.

Don
razerface
Silent But Deadly

Post by razerface »

well,,,I don't do public bathrooms often,,,only emergency situations. At work, I lay on windowsill. In public, I hold in my hand and lay in the "hammock" when hand is needed for other things. Reholster right before I stand up,,pull pants up by pinching gun and pants in one hand to pull up.

Damn,, can't believe we are comparing :roll:

Might as well tell it all,,,,sometimes in the morning, wife likes to come out and give me a BJ before I leave for work. I make her hold it up with one hand while she works.

Any other "need to know things" ??
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

Mongo wrote:
Do the cop trick and hang the gun on the coat hook on the back of the door, just don't forget the gun and make sure you do not hit the trigger with the hook when you are removing it (both have happened according to news reports).
That is true ! At work we had a highway patrol man in for a meeting (saftey?) I dont remember, but I do know that the bathroom stall had a bullet hole that went thru 2 stalls to the right of it the next day. The angle indicated that the hook was the point of origin..
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

Just pretend you are James bond and goons are outside your stall waiting to grab the micro film and aim it through the crack between the door and stall at the little kid washing his hands. Or you could just poop.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
husker71

Post by husker71 »

Use only the zipper...........don't cut yourself. In the stall, set it on the paper dispenser. :roll:
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -- Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

- Thomas Paine
scottryan
Silent But Deadly

Post by scottryan »

Beretta Steel wrote:I am 30 years old and I have never s--t in a public restroom. It is just something I have been lucky enough to avoid. I eat a lot of cheese I guess that helps.

Just wait until the day you have a s--t emergency.