Best "Quality and most Quiet" pistol suppressor host?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Alderleet

Best "Quality and most Quiet" pistol suppressor host?

Post by Alderleet »

Hey all, I have been searching high and low for a quality suppressor host.

So far, my list has included a S&W 41, and a Beretta 87.

But the big kicker is; Will these pistols be "that" much better at suppression than lets say a buckmark with a tacsol barrel?
(im trying to mentally justify spending $750 on a 22lr pistol)

I want my pistol to not only have good fit and finish, but also suppress extremely well. My gsg-1911 has done that, but its worn away into nothing (40k rounds will do that)

I'm looking for a gun that will last forever, and be damn quiet doing it. Any help?
(please dont say 22/45 or p22, the first is aweful for suppression, the latter sucks at anything resembling quality)
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best "Quality and most Quiet" pistol suppressor host?

Post by rogerme »

The best host in terms of quietness will be a bolt gun or lever gun. As they have no gas escaping when the bolt cycles as a semi auto does.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

Alderleet wrote:Hey all, I have been searching high and low for a quality suppressor host.

So far, my list has included a S&W 41, and a Beretta 87.

But the big kicker is; Will these pistols be "that" much better at suppression than lets say a buckmark with a tacsol barrel?
(im trying to mentally justify spending $750 on a 22lr pistol)

I want my pistol to not only have good fit and finish, but also suppress extremely well. My gsg-1911 has done that, but its worn away into nothing (40k rounds will do that)

I'm looking for a gun that will last forever, and be damn quiet doing it. Any help?
(please dont say 22/45 or p22, the first is aweful for suppression, the latter sucks at anything resembling quality)
What's wrong with the 22/45? Mine is reliable and quiet with a sparrow.
Alderleet

Post by Alderleet »

gunningbadger wrote:What's wrong with the 22/45? Mine is reliable and quiet with a sparrow.
of the two 22/45's I've tried, one of which being my personal gun, they were very loud.

I'm running a SS Sparrow, and the 22/45 (MKIII and MKII w/tacsol upper) was stupid loud from the action, shooting subsonic match ammo.

To me, action noise is just as important as muzzle noise. The action noise on the ruger pistols is *FAR* louder than the muzzle report. Unacceptable.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Alderleet wrote:
gunningbadger wrote:What's wrong with the 22/45? Mine is reliable and quiet with a sparrow.
of the two 22/45's I've tried, one of which being my personal gun, they were very loud.

I'm running a SS Sparrow, and the 22/45 (MKIII and MKII w/tacsol upper) was stupid loud from the action, shooting subsonic match ammo.

To me, action noise is just as important as muzzle noise. The action noise on the ruger pistols is *FAR* louder than the muzzle report. Unacceptable.
I have not had the same experience with my 22/45 its not louder than any other host and is a tad quieter then the buckmark due only having one side of the action open instead of both like on the buckmark. If you dont like the rugers then the only other ones I now of are the cz kadet, the smith and the beretta you already mentioned that I would consider high quality.
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

Walther PPK , or PPK/S ...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I haven't experienced it either. The Mark3, 22/45 is one of the quietest platforms I have seen.

I like the Buckmark personally but there is a clack that the Ruger's don't have.

I would love to have a Beretta 87 but not for whether it is or is not the quietest its just an awesome looking gun in my book.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

No complaints from my MK II. You may want to consider adding some weight to the bolt so it delays the cycling slightly. "Subsonic", a member here, makes a weight that clamps on the back of the bolt and seems to work very well.

Don't remember who did the test, but someone did a host comparison on YouTube and the GSG was the quietest, followed by the Ruger if I remember correctly.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

I'm a big fan of my smith m&p .22 pistol. It runs over 8 different types of ammo perfectly and shoots equally as well. I shoot an swr specter on it and the gem tech subs stack rounds at 21 ft. I'm totally happy with this combo.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

On that Ruger you can always use your thumb to hold the action closed, just sayin'
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

He beat me to it... You want a QUIET 22/45? Put your thumb over the back of the bolt. Makes it a single shot (manual cycle), but makes it silly quiet if you just need one quiet shot. The rearward force generated by the blow-back is hardly felt.

JW
strayz

Post by strayz »

If you want quiet and durable.

Have you looked in to the Thompson Contender series of pistols? You can literally find them in any caliber that you can imagine and one host can work with any barrel out there made for the contender.

Sorry if commenting on this thread is considered necro posting.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Another option would be to purchase a 1911 .22LR Conversion Upper and have it extended/threaded. This assumes you already have a 1911 lower to put it on, otherwise you're going to end up spending more than a dedicated pistol.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

22/45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I have the Beretta 87, and it's a great gun. But "great" is a broad adjective: durable materials, accurate enough, reasonable heft and size... but not TOO much. My complaints on the Beretta are capacity, lack of rail, and price-tag.

I find it very pleasant to shoot suppressed, and it's very quiet too. But on 22 pistols with subsonic ammo and a silencer, they're likely to ALL be pleasant to shoot.

There's nothing wrong with going for absolute suppression as the primary goal, but since the difference in action noise between the most common rimfire silencer hosts is likely to be small, you should expand your criteria to other matters as well. If you're asking my opinion, I would focus on a level of quality first. Not necessarily the highest attainable quality, but enough to avoid 'pot-metal' guns, or picky guns. Then I'd focus on comfort -- whatever feels the most comfortable in your hand, and points well for you. Then look at cost, then make your decision.

Be aware that turn-key guns like the 22/45 are likely to be the best overall value in terms of what you get per dollar. The 22/45 can be had factory threaded and is easy to customize due to those grips. It might also be more friendly in terms of sights and the ability to easily attach an optic AND light.

Me personally, I don't care for that style of handgun, which is why I bought the Beretta 87. But getting it threaded is not as easy as some of the other common hosts, and while I have no doubts that I purchased one of the highest overall quality models, in terms of listing features, it falls short of other models.

I don't regret it in any way, because there's no plastic on it, and with even a moderate shooting schedule, the pistol should still end up in your grand-kid's collection, none-the-worse for wear.

Even though it looks like this response is waffling a lot, I don't intend it to be taken that way; just focus on overall benefits instead of tunnel-visioning on one aspect out of context.

----ETA-----
This is a resurrected thread. OP probably isn't still in the market.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The Beretta 87 is fine, as are the Beretta 70-series pistols. The Smith 41 or a High Standard will do very well, but I'd recommend buying used, then get a second barrel to thread. The classic host is a Walther PP-series gun, but not the new production units. The old Interarms-imported guns are GTG.

You're going to pay money for quality. The size of the hole in the barrel doesn't make much difference. What I'm tempted by is something I saw in Siegfried Hubner's book -a Walther GSP with a suppressor. THAT would be outstanding.
htguy

Post by htguy »

Mike M. wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:18 pm The Beretta 87 is fine, as are the Beretta 70-series pistols. The Smith 41 or a High Standard will do very well, but I'd recommend buying used, then get a second barrel to thread. The classic host is a Walther PP-series gun, but not the new production units. The old Interarms-imported guns are GTG.

You're going to pay money for quality. The size of the hole in the barrel doesn't make much difference. What I'm tempted by is something I saw in Siegfried Hubner's book -a Walther GSP with a suppressor. THAT would be outstanding.
A bit of a resurrection here… I am looking for a good 22 host and I have a GSP. In what book did you see a supressed GSP?

I sold my AW93 due to the difficulties in suppressing it and am currently considering a MK IV Target, but the GSP would be better with my grips etc.