Are angels real?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Are angels real?

Yes.
44%
No.
31%
I am not sure.
25%

Total votes: 36

silencertalk
Site Admin

Are angels real?

Post by silencertalk »

Are angels real?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Are angels real?

Post by poikilotrm »

Are you talking about human do gooders or the soul-less messenger creatures supposedly created by the Jewish God?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I heard that American is the #1 country for people who believe that angels are real, so I wanted to see if people really think they are real.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Angels, fallen and otherwise, fill the same theosophistic niche that minor gods and demigods have filled throughout the ages.

I am an agnostic, and do not believe in fanciful things as a rule. Oddly, I do believe in quantum mechanics, which may in fact invalidate that statement, in a way.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

Your target group for this survey consists of a a group of majority realists. I doubt you will find many here who believe.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
RogueTS1

Post by RogueTS1 »

Hello, new to the forum. I believe...........
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

angels no, angles yes
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I believe in peoples unwavering power to believe in all things. From bigfoot to god. There are two types belief simple belief and FAITH. Simple belief is open to reality and proof. Faith on the other hand is not effected by matters of logic, proof or reality.

Sit down with a die hard catholic and try to show them every piece of factual information on the age of the earth. They will not be swayed as there faith in god is absolute and nothing else will matter. Thus the famous and often used phrase for every horrible occurrence on the planet and for the smallest good thing that happens " it is gods will" it had nothing to do with man.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

There is at least one in every strip club in the country. That is if those are their real names.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

For some of us to simply ask "are angels real?" is not unlike "have you stopped beating your wife?".

It's kind of hard to prove angels don't exist and I don't have any proof they do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

66427vette wrote:There is at least one in every strip club in the country. That is if those are their real names.
Perhaps another thread with a poll? Do you believe in Cinnamons? :lol:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Basically, 25% of people say that angels are not real.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

100% of sane people have never seen one.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Believe angels are real. However I wont report seeing one, or a UFO if I ever do see one of those. Fully intend looking up Michael when I arrive in Heaven and see if he will let me handle that fantastic too-coolest sword he has once or twice. Wonder if he has a spare?

Just saying.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

silencertalk wrote:Basically, 25% of people say that angels are not real.
At the time of this post 47% yes, 27% no

The 27% cannot provide any proof. The best they can do is offer some argument based on a logical fallacy so it's pointless to entertain their thoughts on the matter.

To the 47% who say angels are real I say pay attention to this next sentence very carefully.

There is a difference between the belief that something is real and the fact that something is real, the question posed in this thread was NOT "Do you believe angels are real?".

To those of you who claim "angels are real" can any of you provide some proof to back up that claim?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

doubloon wrote:...To those of you who claim "angels are real" can any of you provide some proof to back up that claim?
You mean like someone that quite didn't fit the situation, and who against all reasonable explanation was "gone" afterward, who suggested you wait for your backup, and that your attention to the conversation with a physically reach out and touch you real person, prevented you from walking into a "now you are dead" situation?

You mean like that?

Not that I have ever had such an experience, (cough) but just wondering if that's the kinda "proof" you are asking for.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Nope, I mean an angel in the biblical sense. I mean introduce us to one who can demonstrate in some practical and testable manner that he is indeed an angel. Of course all this probably presupposes that as an angel he can prove the existence of god because without god there can be no biblical angels.

To say angels are real is the logical equivalent of saying god is real.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

continuity wrote:
doubloon wrote:...To those of you who claim "angels are real" can any of you provide some proof to back up that claim?
You mean like someone that quite didn't fit the situation, and who against all reasonable explanation was "gone" afterward, who suggested you wait for your backup, and that your attention to the conversation with a physically reach out and touch you real person, prevented you from walking into a "now you are dead" situation?

You mean like that?

Not that I have ever had such an experience, (cough) but just wondering if that's the kinda "proof" you are asking for.
Case - L.

L was a friend in the Army and was on of the most solid sane people I ever met. The son of a Negro Congregationalist preacher, he tended to sneer at religious zealots, claimed states of religious ecstasy, and religion in general.

This is what he told me:

One night in the desert at the NTC, Ft. Irwin, around 3AM, he was on guard duty while everyone else slept. He saw someone coming into the perimeter, so he challenged him, saying "Who are you?" The response was "You know who I am."

The man that walked into the perimeter was L. L was talking to L. Same guy, same gear. His weapon had the same serial number. They talked for about 20 minutes. "L" told L that there would be a war with Iraq in about a year, and there was. "L" also said that there would be very few casualties and that it would end quickly. Iraq wasn't on our list of concerns at the time.

"L" also told L some prophetic s--t that was personal to him alone, and some about him and me regarding another very strange and almost very bad incident that had happened earlier in the week.

"L" then told him to relax, everything would be fine, and then he walked out of the perimeter.

Dissected this could have been a dream, a fugue, or a lie. L was not the sort to indulge in fantasy, nor was he into altered consciousness.

The part where so much came together later was the interesting part, and it has kept me wondering ever since.

There have been incidents like this recorded throughout history. Usually they are dismissed, and most reports probably should be. I cannot reasonably believe in angels or the supernatural, but I do believe in quantum mechanics, and I do believe we can influence reality by will and presence. This has been repeatedly proven.

If the Big Bang proponents are correct, then we are all literally the same stuff. Thus we are all tied at a fundamental level, and suddenly all that spooky crap isn't really so spooky. If the Holographic universe people are right, and I think they might be, then spooky isn't even a part of the equation.

I have seen things and heard things that were right there, and I can't explain them. It doesn't mean they were supernatural, it just means I dealt with some weird s--t.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

doubloon wrote:Nope, I mean an angel in the biblical sense. I mean introduce us to one who can demonstrate in some practical and testable manner that he is indeed an angel. Of course all this probably presupposes that as an angel he can prove the existence of god because without god there can be no biblical angels.

To say angels are real is the logical equivalent of saying god is real.
Or that you have met an alien huckster. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C. Clarke
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

This begs 2 questions.

Firstly, do people have a soul? i.e. an awareness that survives after the death of a body? If no, then it is a moot point and no further discussion is warranted.

If yes, then the second question becomes is there an entity, for lack of a better word, that created us and our souls?

If these are both answered yes, then I believe that there would be so called worker bees aka angels.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

poikilotrm wrote:...
Case - L.
Thanks for relating that long, inconclusive and entirely unsubstantiated story about the experiences of an unidentified and possibly mythical third party. Your remarkable insights into the Big Bang and self proclaimed expertise in "weird s--t" are very compelling arguments indeed.

I knew a salesman once who told me he had conversations with Jesus on a regular basis about which deals he should or shouldn't pursue but he got fired before I could ask him to ask Jesus for me if he really was the son of god or just another jewish prophet.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It is possible to believe in God and still not believe in angels, or even souls that exist after death.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

If it was a MF'ing alien, I must be important on a here-to-fore unknown galaxial importance basis.

Really? I want a little more respect here. No more arguing with me.

Good grief... I sure hope Darth Vader doesn't show up and give me the "cooome tooooo the darrrrk side speach". That would really ruin my day.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

doubloon wrote:Nope, I mean an angel in the biblical sense. I mean introduce us to one who can demonstrate in some practical and testable manner that he is indeed an angel...
Well s--t. Next time I'll ask for a card... I mean WTF!!! I'm such a newby.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Ok.. I'm done with this thread before someone decides to lodge a formal complaint that results in me having to go see the psy guy... again.

Peace.