How would you rephrase the 2nd Amend to modern language?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: How would you rephrase the 2nd Amend to modern language?

Post by doubloon »

L1A1Rocker wrote:... - split them into two separate amendments.
In the style the authors seemed to be using two sentences would almost certainly have meant separate amendments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: We don't call them "drones."

Post by whiterussian1974 »

silencertalk wrote:
doubloon wrote:The Militia and the People are not separate or at odds against one another they are one in the same.
Why complicate it by mentioning militias at all? Just say "individual citizens." All that does it open a debate as to if you can bear arms when not on militia duty.
Just poking my toe in, I agree. Remember, The People is code for the State. As in: The People v Stan Smith.

"A Standing Army being in Open Conflict with Freedom and a Democratic State; and an Armed Citizenry, being necessary to protect and Defend the Freedom and Democracy enshrined in the US and State Constitutions; the Right of Individual Persons to carry Arms (weapon systems) for Any Lawful Purpose shall not be infringed, unless upon conviction of a Felony crime and for a period of 5 yrs thereafter."

The States' Rights are protected by the 10th Amendment and so they can raise, train and equip their own State Militias which DC could call upon in time of need.
This also would help w funding. Each State would raise levies to pay for Standardized Equipment and Communal Training. They could even send their men to a Federal Training Facility like Camp Lejeune, Lackland AFB, Annapolis, West Point, etc. There would be a per person/specialty fee to cover cost of training and the States would have engaged in Interstate Compacts to Standardize Equipment and Training Requirements.

This would mean that any Army Base would be funded In State and through Fees assessed to visiting Soldiers. This would prevent Bases being used as Slush Money Magnets by powerful Senators/Reps bringing home bacon to their Districts.

And if Virginia and North Carolina had better training for lower fees than CA, then States would sign Contracts for those Services and Economy/Efficacy would drive Bid prices. A la Competition for Services.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Flat Tire

Post by Flat Tire »

I have guns , you have guns , we all have guns.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

It shall be forbidden for any government agency to enact any laws concerning any weapons as they apply to the private citizenry, except within court rooms, jails, prisons, and hospitals. Any government agent or any person purporting to be a government agent who violates this law shall be incarcerated for no less than 50 years without parole, or a sentence of death if the courts shall deem it proper.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Robert got the most important point: that no reason should be stated. The existing 2A is perfect except for its confusing and unnecessary preamble. The 2A should simply read, "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]