DPMS 308 pistol - 13"

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Pat M
Silent But Deadly

DPMS 308 pistol - 13"

Post by Pat M »

Just finished up my new pistol (yep a week later Washington State voted to OK home build SBR's again) (will still be a while for them to start approving them)

DPMS 308 upper, Aero Precision pistol lower (local and very good price), would have gone 10-12" but needed room for OSS to slide over barrel 4.75" & not hit gas block.

Only took a little tuning (added a socket behind the buffer spring and open the gas block 1 turn)

Should be able to get out and paint this weekend.

needed one because the .260 is a fat pig :)

Last edited by Pat M on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Re: DPMS 308 pistol - 13"

Post by Toetagger »

That's a sweet lil setup...how does the 308 handle out of that?
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

Will do some groups when i steal one of my better scopes off long range rifles, work some overtime to get RockRiver 2 stage trigger :)

And work up some 190gr subs to use :)
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Did you get it sorted out, I'm thinking of SBR'ing one for my Saker 762 as a truck gun for rolling up on hogs on my buddies farm.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
BLDtylry

Post by BLDtylry »

I have a 308 built off of an Aero Precision M5 upper and lower with a Blackhole Weaponry 12.5" 8.5 Twist barrel, SLR Adjustable gas block, Matrix Arms 11" keymod handguard, and Geisele SD3G trigger. Also running a Saker 7.62 off of it. Without the Saker the muzzle blast is equivalent to shooting a 12-gauge loaded with birdshot. Haven't weighed it but I would guess it weighs 7lbs without optics. Optic is a Primary Arms 1-6x mounted in an Aero Precision SPR cantilever scope mount. It'll do 1.5" groups at 100yds without much effort using 168gr A-Max handloads. Haven't tried my 220gr SMK subsonic handloads with this setup yet.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Was interested in those Aero mounts but they look fragile next to my Larue, Alamo and Spuhr's would love to put it on my 300AAC SBR with a 1-6 Vortex, gotta be really lightweight. I was given a 308 lower and am thinking about building it out and buying another to SBR (The one I was given is a PSA and too proprietary to SBR for my taste) I'm most likely going to get an Aero or DPMS and use a Satern Barrel that I have custom profiled for it. I want a 6.5 Creedmoor though for my Long Range stuff. The SBR barrel will most likely be an off the shelf 308. How is the Blackhole for weight and what contour did you get?
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

1moa 5round group at 100yds :) , runs great and am super happy. (haven't tried any subs yet)

but painted it up all pretty like

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Am amazed to hear the description of a short 308 as having the muzzle blast of a 12 gauge w birdshot.

I have a POF-USA 12.5" SBR'd P308. Without the can, full power ammo is VERY exciting! With a 7.62 Specwar is very nice ... but the overpressure would likely make it very uncomfortable in a confined space.

A 12.5" 6.8 with a 7.62 Saker is about the biggest I'd think sane to shoot in a confined space.