Paper Form1 disapproved after 12 months

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Swbeckmetal

Paper Form1 disapproved after 12 months

Post by Swbeckmetal »

I’ve searched the web to find anybody who has the same problem I have.

I buy firearms fairly regularly and every time my ffl runs my background check through NICS I get the “delay” which lasts about ten minutes and then the “proceed” come through and I take home the new gun with a big smile.

So imagine my surprise when my paper form1 comes back after waiting a year with a disapproved because of NICS/ FBI background status of “open”.

The really sad news is that I also have a form4 for a suppressor waiting for disapproval which has also been a year.
I have no criminal history. Just some old traffic stuff but no violence no drugs and no felonies

I bought the form1 and the silencer through SilencerShop.

Anyone else have this problem or maybe a solution?

Thanks
Swbeckmetal
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Paper Form1 disapproved after 12 months

Post by John A. »

I would imagine that there may be an "open" case involving perhaps your name.

Or perhaps they tried to contact you (by mail) and it got lost or undelivered and they didn't receive a response within the 30 days?

Or perhaps they got a "match" on your fingerprints.

If you call the NFA branch in Martinsburg WV, they may be able to give you more information about why you were denied.

At any rate, that really bites if you have waited a year and they screwed up and you have to start over again.
I don't care what your chart says
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Swbeckmetal wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:00 pm I’ve searched the web to find anybody who has the same problem I have.

I buy firearms fairly regularly and every time my ffl runs my background check through NICS I get the “delay” which lasts about ten minutes and then the “proceed” come through and I take home the new gun with a big smile.

So imagine my surprise when my paper form1 comes back after waiting a year with a disapproved because of NICS/ FBI background status of “open”.

The really sad news is that I also have a form4 for a suppressor waiting for disapproval which has also been a year.
I have no criminal history. Just some old traffic stuff but no violence no drugs and no felonies

I bought the form1 and the silencer through SilencerShop.

Anyone else have this problem or maybe a solution?

Thanks
Swbeckmetal
Consider getting a UPIN number from the Feds. I think it stands for Unique Personal Identification Number and you can use it in the future on all gun purchases and they will not have to run a NICS check on you. Shouid be able to also use it for NFA stuff.
I had problems like you because there were two bad guys with the same name as me and that's enough to flag your request, even if your birthdate, Social, ethnicity, State of residence are different from the felons.
George from Alaska
precision308

Post by precision308 »

yea I been waiting since May and just got the notice this AM, NICS CHECK - INCONCLUSIVE!! So what action did you take to get this obvious mistake rectified? I plan on calling ATF in the AM, but in the past communications was (checking status) polite but no help at the time. I expect that I will run into the same stonewalling this time around. This Government has a way of turning a law abiding citizen into a criminal overnight without the citizens knowledge.
This takes me out....if I was a criminal, would a normal person think I would be applying for a Form 1 permit, knowing I am going to be refused. Not to mention the ATF now has my mailing address, physical location, etc....duh??
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

It's so frustrating with them. Consider getting a UPIN - Unique Personal Identification Number - it's described somewhere at ATF.gov.
Even though I have an FFL/SOT I was still getting "delayed" or "more research is being done" results when I went in to buy a gun as a citizen and not through my license. Alaska has an addendum to their Concealed Carry Permit which allows you to submit photos and prints and get a Concealed Carry/NICS Exempt card good for 5 years. Just thought if you can try either way, it will help with false negatives.
George from Alaska
precision308

Post by precision308 »

I have a CC card in Wyoming, Utah, and PA, I am NICS exempt for firearm purchase in Wyoming. The Form 1 is ATF and I have no idea how this works as if I can purchase a legal side arm or long arm why is the system kicking back "NICS Check - Inconclusive". Can not have it both ways....or maybe they can???