Rifled 12 Gauge Pistol

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Stout
Silent But Deadly

Rifled 12 Gauge Pistol

Post by Stout »

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of converting a shotgun to a pistol by rifling and shortening the barrel? I could not find it covered anywhere previously. Would any NFA rules apply to this type of conversion? If the barrel is rifled it would not be a shotgun anymore.

I was reading this article and started thinking about how it could be done:
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/10/post_41.html
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rifled 12 Gauge Pistol

Post by dragoon »

If it was originally manufactured as a longarm ( rifle or shotgun) , the barrel cannot legally be shortened less than 18" for a shotgun , or 16" for a rifle , without prior registration . Overall-length is also a factor ... A rifled-bore over .50 is destructive-device , and requires registration as such ... Not an expert , but this is my understanding of the regulations ...
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Rifled barrel over .50 at that length would be a Destructive Device. They're more annoying to deal with than SBS.
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

So how do rifled slug barrels get around the larger than .5" rule? For that matter how are rounds larger than .5" , like the .700 Nitro Express, complying with NFA rules?

Encore offers pistol to shotgun conversions for their firearms, although I don't know which part is the "pistol".

If you start with a factory pistol grip shotgun, ie not a long gun, what difference would it make?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Do you have a pistol that shoots the .700 Nitro Express?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

500 S&W is as big as I could find. Hurts like a bitch after a few rounds. I've got a video around here somewhere. I know there is a .600 Nitro pistol but I've never seen one. That's almost 12 gauge slug size.

I'm just trying to see if there is a way to do this without the paperwork and stay legal. If some old guy in Virginia can take an "illegal" shotshell pistol and rifle it to make it legal, per the article above, can I do that too.....
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

His gun is a .410 - that's less than .50 . Rifling it would be like buying a .45 Long Colt derringer that can also fire .410 shotshells ... What he has is a smoothbore-pistol , made before the 1934 Machine Gun Act . The ATF might be 'grandfathering' it as a 'curio or relic' ... What's the point of a rifled 12-ga pistol ? The rifling would affect buckshot , and you can buy rifled-slugs .
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Stout wrote:So how do rifled slug barrels get around the larger than .5" rule?
They aren't 5 inches long, they're rifle barrels.
Stout wrote:For that matter how are rounds larger than .5" , like the .700 Nitro Express, complying with NFA rules?
That's the exception. Those big game guns are exempt from DD classification. It's what they gave the fudds when the fudds sold us out.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Why would you want such a pistol? Your local orthopedic surgeon will love you.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Isn't the 700 a black powder cartridge?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

the attorney general can exempt a cartridge larger then .5" from DD classification if he believes it is for "sporting purposes"

i just dont see any way you would be able to make a 12 gauge pistol without a stamp for a number of reasons
1. the definition of a pistol is a gun designed to be fired with one hand, i think it would be hard to make a shotgun that you could argue was designed to be fired from one hand
2. bore diameter being over .5" and not being made for sporting purposes

if you were to make a gun from a virgin receiver you could send it to the ATF and have them make a ruling on it but honestly even IF they said it was a legal pistol it would be a lot more work then just paying for a stamp
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

doubloon wrote:Isn't the 700 a black powder cartridge?
i believe it was originally designed as one like the 45/70 but is now mainly a smokeless round
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

doubloon wrote:Isn't the 700 a black powder cartridge?
no it was designed by H&H when they said they were not making anymore 600NEs i think they made the first one in the mid 80s
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
dblas

Post by dblas »

dragoon wrote:If it was originally manufactured as a longarm ( rifle or shotgun) , the barrel cannot legally be shortened less than 18" for a shotgun , or 16" for a rifle , without prior registration . Overall-length is also a factor ... A rifled-bore over .50 is destructive-device , and requires registration as such ... Not an expert , but this is my understanding of the regulations ...
Just a question, but how does this apply to black powder rifles and single shot handguns (dragoons?)?

I have a .54 BP cap and ball by Thompson Center, and have been shooting for 25+ years.
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

It is my understanding that black-powder guns are generally exempt from NFA regulations . I believe you can have a b-p shotgun with barrels less than 18" and be OK .
dblas

Post by dblas »

dragoon wrote:It is my understanding that black-powder guns are generally exempt from NFA regulations . I believe you can have a b-p shotgun with barrels less than 18" and be OK .
That would probably apply to my uncle's blunderbuss, at 16" and roughly .78 it makes a lot of noise and can be fun to put a ball down range.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Reading is fundamental.
To make this particular gun legal requires one of two things, Hyche said. Craig could have the gun rifled - have grooves cut into the barrel - or he could have the gun disassembled
He chose to have it disassembled, so now the barrel and receiver are separate pieces.
I either would have had it rifled or fought to have it classified as a curio/relic, it has no value now.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Stout wrote:500 S&W is as big as I could find. Hurts like a bitch after a few rounds. I've got a video around here somewhere. I know there is a .600 Nitro pistol but I've never seen one. That's almost 12 gauge slug size.

I'm just trying to see if there is a way to do this without the paperwork and stay legal. If some old guy in Virginia can take an "illegal" shotshell pistol and rifle it to make it legal, per the article above, can I do that too.....
The 500 S&W is like 9mm recoil after shooting this :lol: The brake makes it shootable for about 30 rounds
then the beating is all I can handle.
I'm working on a rifle for the 950 that spits 2500 to 3500 grn pills now and it is exempt from being a DD.
that is 50 bmg in the middle