Corrupt power: Alabama University Student cited for wearing empty holster

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Corrupt power: Alabama University Student cited for wearing empty holster

Post by johndoe3 »

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7490

A University of Southern Alabama student, who was the president of the local chapter of Students For Concealed Carry, was cited for wearing an empty holster while manning an information table.

When campus police become fascists and make up rules in order to intimidate--a protest with an empty holster is an example of freedom of speech.
“Yeah, it is, because somebody called it in,” the officer replies matter-of-factly. “You know there's a no-weapons policy out here, but still you want to push it.”

“Uh ... this is a protest,” Parten submits after a short pause, evidently caught off-guard by the notion that an empty holster might violate the policy.

“Did you get permission to wear it?” the officer queries him.

“I don't need permission to wear it,” Parten replies confidently.

“You need permission from the university.”

“To wear a holster?” he asks with undisguised incredulity.

Standing his rhetorical ground, the officer simply shrugs off the challenge and says, “There's a no-weapons policy here.”

“It's not a weapon.”

“I understand that,” the officer concedes. “Take it up with Dean of Students, then, because y'all are gonna be written up for disciplinary [sic], and I will put in there your attitude, you understand?”
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Corrupt power: Alabama University Student cited for wearing empty holster

Post by a_canadian »

Campus police. A species well known for their legal expertise. Not so much a fascist as a simpleton bully.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

a_canadian wrote:Campus police. A species well known for their legal expertise. Not so much a fascist as a simpleton bully.
Way to apologize, copsucker! So what is the best way to tell the difference between a fascist and a simpleton bully? A neck tattoo perhaps? Secret handshake?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Gosh, Pokie, seems a bit odd that you start calling me names when I'm agreeing with you. The campus cop's an idiot. Do I have to agree with your definition of 'fascist' to avoid you making insulting homophobic comments in my direction? Never mind. Have fun jerking off to your little newsie stuff, whatever.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

You were trying to trivialize his actions and providing an excuse for him.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

An excuse? Did you actually read the campus cop's words? He's an idiot. Is being an idiot an excuse? Did I give it to him somehow? Moronic bullies exist. Jobs with badges attract them.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.s ... e_off.html

The story has a happy ending, since the University Administration was slammed from all directions over the negative publicity.
School officials say the police officer who cited Parten, Officer David Turppa, has been suspended for five days without pay after the incident.

"Officer Turppa and Officer Steve Gordon both apologized to the students involved," University Director of Communications and Media Relations Bob Lowry says.

University Police determined, after an investigation, that the citation should not have been issued. The citation, which ordered Parten to meet with the Dean of Students has since been rescinded.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

poikilotrm wrote:
a_canadian wrote:Campus police. A species well known for their legal expertise. Not so much a fascist as a simpleton bully.
Way to apologize, copsucker! So what is the best way to tell the difference between a fascist and a simpleton bully? A neck tattoo perhaps? Secret handshake?
Jesus, Poik, a_canadian is most likely one of the people on this website that is most in-agreement with you on these types of matters.

You're being overly sensitive. Plus, think about the metric you're using: some where there's a guy sharpening his knife in his underwear with schematics of the university on his coffee table, and he's planning to actually stab this particular police officer. He's looking at you, Poik, and thinking that since you're only fussing about this on the internet, that you're the one trivializing the event.

You're actually pissed that he isn't more pissed?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote: You're actually pissed that he isn't more pissed?
Damn it, I hate it when you are right.

I am sorry, milk bags. I will try to be nicer.
atilliar
Silent Operator

Post by atilliar »

Poikilotrm. I like you. I've been reading your posts for a while now and I can't seem to remember on I disliked. And you know when to apologize... and when not to. Good on you.
"What worries me is not the younger generation's rebelliousness in petty matters, but their tameness in great matters." Albert Jay Nock
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I hadn't noted the 'milk bags' comment previously. Even now it puzzled me for a moment. Then I recalled my mother having bought a plastic pitcher in the mid-1970's into which we put bags full of milk, snipping off a corner. We bought milk looks that for perhaps a couple of months, then abandoned it, chucking the pitcher. It was silly and prone to spilling. Went back to cartons. But perhaps this is still in use all these decades later in some parts of Canada, possibly the more backward regions? Haven't seen it on the West coast since I was a kid.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

a_canadian wrote:I hadn't noted the 'milk bags' comment previously. Even now it puzzled me for a moment. Then I recalled my mother having bought a plastic pitcher in the mid-1970's into which we put bags full of milk, snipping off a corner. We bought milk looks that for perhaps a couple of months, then abandoned it, chucking the pitcher. It was silly and prone to spilling. Went back to cartons. But perhaps this is still in use all these decades later in some parts of Canada, possibly the more backward regions? Haven't seen it on the West coast since I was a kid.
1-Liter plastic milk pouches are still in use in Russia as late as 2004. I don't know about after that.

And I don't know why they don't use waxed-paper cartons. :?
Maybe being hermetically sealed prevents spoilage until the corner is snipped? Maybe they are encouraging rapid use of the product once it's unsealed?

Many people freeze the pouches until they are ready to use them. I don't 'think' that milk expands much when frozen. Then we pour any leftovers into glass jars that have been boiled. It lasts about 2 weeks after opening. But 1-liter doesn't take long to use.
---
I think that "milk bags" was an effeminate reference. That's what many people here call breasts.

I'd take it as a complement. A maternal caring for human beings. Not everyone is aware that Paternal caring/provision/education are also an option. :(

Your refusal to be drawn in any deeper, I found to be taking the Higher Road. I enjoy reading posts from all 3 of you Gentlemen. Whenever anyone drops to ad hominem insults, that's effectively signaling 1's own defeat.

Poiki was admitting that he had judged you unfairly, and the "milk bags" was a snarky parting shot intended to save face. You are good to allow him that. :)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
faizanmazhar00

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

whiterussian1974 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:28 am
a_canadian wrote:I hadn't noted the 'milk bags' comment previously. Even now it puzzled me for a moment. Then I recalled my mother having bought a plastic pitcher in the mid-1970's into which we put bags full of milk, snipping off a corner. We bought milk looks that for perhaps a couple of months, then abandoned it, chucking the pitcher. It was silly and prone to spilling. Went back to cartons. But perhaps this is still in use all these decades later in some parts of Canada, possibly the more backward regions? Haven't seen it on the West coast since I was a kid.
1-Liter plastic milk pouches are still in use in Russia as late as 2004. I don't know about after that.

And I don't know why they don't use waxed-paper cartons. :?
Maybe being hermetically sealed prevents spoilage until the corner is snipped? Maybe they are encouraging rapid use of the product once it's unsealed?

Many people freeze the pouches until they are ready to use them. I don't 'think' that milk expands much when frozen. Then we pour any leftovers into glass jars that have been boiled. It lasts about 2 weeks after opening. But 1-liter doesn't take long to use.
---
I think that "milk bags" was an effeminate reference. That's what many people here call breasts.

I'd take it as a complement. A maternal caring for human beings. Not everyone is aware that Paternal caring/provision/education are also an option. :(

Your refusal to be drawn in any deeper, I found to be taking the Higher Road. I enjoy reading posts from all 3 of you Gentlemen. Whenever anyone drops to ad hominem insults, that's effectively signaling 1's own defeat.

Poiki was admitting that he had judged you unfairly, and the "milk bags" was a snarky parting shot intended to save face. You are good to allow him that. :)
check it out Avery Squishmallow