How does your state rate on 2nd Amendment?

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Jeff Knox praises 'losers' of Brady Center's national scorecard

http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/how-does-you ... amendment/
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: How does your state rate on 2nd Amendment?

Post by TROOPER »

Too much logic, sense, and facts... what that man says will never be properly appreciated by those who oppose the 2nd.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Idaho has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun market and allow the sale of guns without background checks.
Yea- because a private sale of private property between two individuals is somehow bad.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

WTF?!!?!

4 points!

I demand a recount!

Remind me to write my congress critter to see about getting that score down.

I think it's disgusting that there are 19 states with "star" ratings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

We get a 7 for Maine. I think the person who posted the article should have posted the amazing correlation between bradys rating and the crime statistics the lower the brady score the higher the crime rate.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

rogerme wrote:We get a 7 for Maine. I think the person who posted the article should have posted the amazing correlation between bradys rating and the crime statistics the lower the brady score the higher the crime rate.
I believe that point was acknowledged in the article, but the author also conceded that the cause-and-effect wasn't established; that is, it is just as likely that the higher restrictions were in response to the higher crime.

That said, he also pointed out that the decrease in gun availability has had no effect on the violent crime. Furthermore, he pointed out that the stricter gun controls only affected the law-abiding.

In addition, it can also be shown that relaxing gun laws has little effect on violent crime as well. It can't easily be demonstrated that lowering gun control leads to a reduction in violence, but rather, that lowering gun control seems to have no effect on violent crime.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

TROOPER wrote: In addition, it can also be shown that relaxing gun laws has little effect on violent crime as well. It can't easily be demonstrated that lowering gun control leads to a reduction in violence, but rather, that lowering gun control seems to have no effect on violent crime.

We must read entirely different articles then.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

rogerme wrote: I think the person who posted the article should have posted the amazing correlation between bradys rating and the crime statistics the lower the brady score the higher the crime rate.
The author of the article wrote:As a matter of fact, a full 25 percent of all violent crime in the U.S. occurs in the Brady’s top four states with the most severe firearms restrictions. Of course the Brady bunch and its political allies argue that the tight restrictions are a response to the high crime, but most of the restrictions have been in place for years, if not decades, and they have proven to be completely ineffective at reducing criminal violence
He does acknowledge the correlation, but he also concedes that the cause-and-effect isn't established; does the harsher gun restrictions cause the violent crime? Or does the violent crime lead to harsher gun restrictions? Either way, he does acknowledge the correlation.

We read the same article.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I read his. I was referring to OTHER articles on the matter. This is one opinion. The reason I left MD is the laws where getting tighter on us and crime kept going up. My uncle and allot of family live in south Jersey and they are under the thumb of the laws. Crime continues to grow every year spreading like the plague. The fact is criminals like EASY money. If given the choice between easy money and hard money they choose easy the vast majority of the time. Given that fact a place where people are known to be armed is far less likely to be the place where they choose to commit crimes. Conversely those places where the citizens do not have the right to bear arms as DC was when I lived there the criminals have no opposition. The best example of this is when I lived there EVERY night you could hear shooting standing behind the white house from SE dc while firearms where illegal to even have at all.

There are two choices the people have. One depend on he police to rescue you AFTER the fact. Or arm yourself to either defend or deter those who would do you harm. Being that where I live it would take a LE a minimum of 20 minutes to get to my house I choose the latter in fact I would choose the latter no matter where I live thus I live here now. Having witnessed first hand the two ways of dealing with crime and in one case watching the freedom be stripped and the crime rate rise because of it I say bs. The people having the freedom of being armed is and always will be a deterrent to crime.

Clint Smith
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I agree with everything you're saying. I'm not really arguing with you. Its just that the author of that article was playing a sort of "Devil's Advocate" as to what the anti-gunners might say, but at the same time pointing out that cause-and-effect aside, there is a statistical correlation between higher violent crime and denial of the second amendment.

I agree with everything you're saying though.