WTK - Different methods of carrying for CCP

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

WTK - Different methods of carrying for CCP

Post by TROOPER »

I see shoulder holsters, belly-bands, in-waistband holsters, a crotch-holster (looks like a very small, very flat fanny-pack that sits inside the pants over the pubic bone), ankle holsters, and even a leather organizer that is actually a disguised holster. Oh, also some Blackwater/5.11 brand undershirts that have an elastic area over the ribs beneath the armpit to hold a gun very securely, flatly, and privately.

I'm inclined to go with a vertical shoulder-holster, but my concern is that it limits wardrobe options considerably, and I am also concerned that the rig won't sit high enough, or close enough to the body.

I'm also inclined for a belly-band, but am concerned for excessive sweating for such a thing.

The 5.11/Blackwater undershirt seems very promising, but not exceptionally realistic since I'd need to purchase 4 or 5 at a time to keep them in the clothing rotation.

The handgun in question will be a Beretta 84 (380).

It will be too time-consuming to try them all out for extended periods of time and learn through personal trial-and-error, so what have you fine folks discovered as viable options? Please be specific not only in the method, but if certain brands perform that method best, please mention the brand.

Thanks in advance.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: WTK - Different methods of carrying for CCP

Post by dtom29 »

You'll wear that shoulder holster about 5 times and then throw it in a drawer. I can confidently say that over the past 37 years I've tried just about everything except crotch carry and I keep coming back to strong side inside the waistband.
Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

Daily carry I do 4 or 8 o'clock with IWB or OWB holster (full sized pistols).

If I have to hide it because of clothing limitation ankle rig (think G27/G29).

I use the undershirt carry occasionally and you are right on -- need 2-3 of them for rotation. But I don't wear it everyday so it's okay. The gun will move a little but if you have something small and light it should stay put.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

dtom29 wrote:You'll wear that shoulder holster about 5 times and then throw it in a drawer. I can confidently say that over the past 37 years I've tried just about everything except crotch carry and I keep coming back to strong side inside the waistband.
Strong side, IWB. Ok... same as Ramius? 4 or 8 o'clock?
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I'm at 4-ish, sometimes a backup at 8. Although I tend to stick a Keltech .32 or 380 in my back pocket as a backup these days. When the appendix carry became popular I gave it a try. I'm not an overweight guy 165-170 and 5'8" but sitting with any kind of substantial gun was damn uncomfortable. It might be a little faster, but realistically are you going to places where you are going to need that .010 faster draw speed? If you are, STOP GOING THERE...;-) I generally carry a 4' 1911 or a Glock 19.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I vacilate between an ankle holster and the belly band. I really want the ankle holster to work, but when wearing jeans, the access is somewhere between getting into Fort Knox and changing a tire on my jeep.

I've pretty much settled on the belly band.

ETA: In general I use the back pocket method of carry when off duty.
Last edited by continuity on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Right now I rotate between OWB, IWB and pocket. OWB/IWB tends to fall between the 3 and 4 position.

I haven't ventured too far from mainstream carry positions with the most vulnerable position being 380 in the strong side pocket. I try to console myself about this carry position by telling myself over and over again I'm not in the game to be a quick-draw-mcgraw and that I'm much better off staying alert and keeping myself out of situations where a quick-draw will make the difference.

I've considered a belly band but I can't bring myself to take the thunder pants seriously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I've got a shoulder holster and belly band in my drawr. After playing for a while I settled on using a fanny pack (w/tear away feature for fast draw) form most all carry. For when a suit or sport coat is called for I use IWB at around 4 o'clock.

The fanny pack is rather practical. Bad guys have figured out that the only idiots carrying the things have a pistol in them so you project "hard target". Also, should you need to "use the facilities" while out it is easy and safe to secure while doing your business.

You'll eventually have a drawer full of holsters that you've tried and disgarded. It happens.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Got a thin, soft IWB for my Beretta 84. Going to the range on Saturday so I'll have some subjective shooting impressions, hopefully a longer, pic-heavy review to follow.

Thanks for the advice. I'd have bought that shoulder rig if it weren't for this thread. As it is, I've saved ~$30... which will buy almost one box of highly over-priced 380 FMJ.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Oh, if you should decide to hang the pistol off your belt, you'll need a belt built for the job: http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Products_ep_45.html
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

False. I only wear sweat pants in public.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

TROOPER wrote:False. I only wear sweat pants in public.
Oh Lord....

On another note...those soft IWB holsters are not want you want to use everyday. It"s fine to give IWB a try at the range but you need to think Kramer, Milt Sparks, DeSaintis, Wild Bill's, etc. Spare no expence to get a GOOD holster and belt.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:False. I only wear sweat pants in public.
Not a candidate for the rear pocket carry carry. Major printing. And you'll be constantly hitchin up your britches. That is unless you wear a sports jacket with the sweatpants. This is where a good desantis shoulder rig is called for. Will say such a getup could be considered an off the beaten path fashion statement.

Have worn a shoulder harness with a sports/suit jacket, all 3 times it was appropriate. 1 funeral and 2 weddings.

If you're gonna forgo the rear pocket carry, the belly band is FTW.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

No, come on... sweat pants? Good Lord - I'm trolling my own thread.

I see now that a shoulder rig is appropriate only for occasions with sufficiently bulky outer wear... which does not describe many of my days in Georgia.

The IWB holster I have seems relatively sturdy with its double stitching. Without a gun, it seems relatively thin and soft -- not rigid. It has a sturdy belt clasp and seems like it would do fine for IWB. If it was for outer carry, I'd feel like it was anemic.

Alright... doesn't make sense to ask for advice and then refute it out-of-hand, so I will - at the very least - Google image and Google review Kramer, Milt Sparks, DeSaintis, Wild Bill's. The gun itself was pricey, so it doesn't make sense to cheap out at the last minute... I'll give a fair shake to these other brands.

If you were required to order, sight-unseen, an IWB holster for a particular make-and-model (a Beretta 84 in this case) from one of the above-mentioned manufacturers.... which would you feel most confident with based on name alone? And by 'confident', I mean, confident that you probably got the best quality and most practical holster for your particular firearm? I've got a few dollars lying around, so I'll just go ahead and order that one and chalk it up to a ~$50 investment.... with the idea that it may be -- at most -- a $50 waste-of-time-and-money.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

thnderwear would probably work for sweat pants
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Ok, I estimated WAY high for price. What you fine folks don't know is that I've sold, am selling, will sell, a lot of stuff on Ebay. Because of that, my Paypal account is always floating a certain amount of funds in it. It's too easy to find something and impulsively buy it. I wouldn't call this an "impulse buy" because I did check the reviews on Midway, Amazon, and Opticsplanet for this item first. I just purchased a "Desantis Right Natural IWB Sof-Tuck Holster For Beretta 84F/85F" for $22.65 total out-of-pocket.

Thanks for the advice. If it turns out my original soft and thin IWB holster was better, then I'm sending a bill to all of you, dtom29. Keep an eye on your inbox for that... just sayin'.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

doubloon wrote:thnderwear would probably work for sweat pants
I don't wear underwear... that's why I wear the sweat pants.

... looks like a kitten playing under a blanket when I flip-flop my way through the produce section at Wal-Mart.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

TROOPER wrote:
doubloon wrote:thnderwear would probably work for sweat pants
I don't wear underwear... that's why I wear the sweat pants.

... looks like a kitten playing under a blanket when I flip-flop my way through the produce section at Wal-Mart.
trying to troll the self troll

Leather and thin plus leather and IWB with a gun in it an thin is a tall order ... once you stick it in your pants all thoughts of thin and comfy are out the door and if you don't already you might want to consider providing your own moisture barrier (read t-shirt) to wick the love handle squeezins from behind whatever you choose to put down your pants ... JMOYMMV

That said I like my Galco inside the pant holster well enough, there's a little bit of leather between be and the back of the slide which is, with a t-shirt, better than nothing. I am too much of a wuss to put up with the hammer and slide scraping into my Dunlop all day so if it doesn't have any leather behind the gun above the waistband (like the stow-n-go - summer comfort - tuck-n-go - ultra) I won't use it. But it's still not quite the water collector that is the dinner plate sized piece of leather/kydex with half a paddle holster bolted to the outside of it that some people seem to like.

It's fairly easy on/off even when you're fully clothed. Important to me because some places I have to go my gun really shouldn't and unlike the dinner plate sized platforms I can maneuver the holstered gun between pants/backpack/console/safe/etc. without soo much grief.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

TROOPER wrote:Ok, I estimated WAY high for price. What you fine folks don't know is that I've sold, am selling, will sell, a lot of stuff on Ebay. Because of that, my Paypal account is always floating a certain amount of funds in it. It's too easy to find something and impulsively buy it. I wouldn't call this an "impulse buy" because I did check the reviews on Midway, Amazon, and Opticsplanet for this item first. I just purchased a "Desantis Right Natural IWB Sof-Tuck Holster For Beretta 84F/85F" for $22.65 total out-of-pocket.

Thanks for the advice. If it turns out my original soft and thin IWB holster was better, then I'm sending a bill to all of you, dtom29. Keep an eye on your inbox for that... just sayin'.
Ok, but you have to let me reply before you buy and then want to charge me when you order the wrong holster... :wink: I would have ordered the cozy partner. You're going to find the soft tuck harder to reholster, better than what you had but not quite "there" yet. Kramer IWB #2 would be my first choice. Milt Sparks Summer special 2 is a top choice. FIST #19 or #20. Wright leather works Banshee IWB. Wild Bills concealment Summer Heat, I consider it the equivalent to the Kramer.