45 ACP

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mcrump
Senior Silent Operator

45 ACP

Post by mcrump »

I have been very successful with all of my suppressor designs except one. The 45 ACP. I've tried different tube sizes all the way up to 1.500, lengths to 7.500, a ton of different baffle configurations, static and progressive spacing. You name it and I've probably tried it. The only think I haven't tried is double or multi clips. My bore is .060 over bullet diameter, which seems to be standard and has worked for everything else I've made.

So if anyone has some magic dust I sure would like to know about it.

Thanks,

Mike

01/SOT/07 FFL License Holder and owner of Super Precision Concepts
Spectrum Tactical Solutions
FFL 01/SOT/07 license holder
Master Machinist
hangman

Re: 45 ACP

Post by hangman »

In looking at my commercially acquired can, single - but VERY DEEP - clip on somewhat progressive radial-and-stepped-cones, that are intended to be concentrically aligned.

And when I say very deep, looks like around 0.4" - if you'd like more detail on it, I can put the calipers to it; just let me know.
Semper exaudiō,
HangMan
hangman

Post by hangman »

Was just in the shop checking some other dimensions, so pulled the can apart.

End cap - 0.505"
All baffles - 0.502"
Clip - 0.25" wide, 0.28" "deep" (to bottom of radius left by bore)
Also, FWIW - appears to be vertically bored (as opposed to the angles favored by many F1 builders)
Semper exaudiō,
HangMan
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Have you tried aluminum tube? A lot of great rimfire and most pistol cans have aluminum tubes and maybe even a few aluminum baffles toward the front. Supoosed to help lower the tone.

.45 is just louder than other pistol rounds. Have you tried shooting 9mm through your .45 can and see if it is working well?
petroben

Post by petroben »

Designing a suppressor can be a complex process, and it seems like you've already explored various options. While I can't provide "magic dust," I can offer a few general considerations:
First of all you should learn about Iganony Viewer to get views on instagram.

Material: Ensure you're using suitable materials for sound suppression. Different metals and alloys can affect performance.

Baffle Design: Experimenting with various baffle designs is crucial. Consider using a combination of baffles, possibly with varying shapes or angles.

Threaded vs. Direct Attach: Evaluate whether your suppressor is better suited for direct attachment or if a threaded design would be more effective.

Internal Geometry: Pay attention to the internal geometry of the suppressor, as small changes can sometimes have a significant impact on performance.
Brooke

Professional Advice: Consulting with experts in suppressor design or acoustics engineering might provide valuable insights.

Given the intricate nature of suppressor design and the legal considerations involved, seeking advice from professionals or experienced individuals in the field is advisable. Additionally, ensure that your designs comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
Petro