Interchangeable caliber silencer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BretJ
Silent Operator

Re: Interchangeable caliber silencer

Post by BretJ »

Bendersquint wrote:
mj30wilson wrote:OK. How about the scopes that have a cover that closes when you twist it.
And opens when you twist.

That way you can dial the correct caliber you are shooting.
These would be located between the k baffles only to decrease gas blow by.
At anytime you would quickly be able to dial the largest caliber and shoot it.
Then a couple twist and you are shooting sub caliber.

Legal?
No because by changing the aperture you are changing the caliber, doesn't matter than it can be changed back, the problem is that you are changing the caliber.

This is no different than a rotating core.
In addition, it is hard enough to remove baffles from the tube after a few hundred rounds because of the crud. I would imagine an aperture similar to what you have seen on a scope would be close to useless after a few rounds. I can't imagine the complexity of any sort of manufacturers warranty.....
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BretJ wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
mj30wilson wrote:OK. How about the scopes that have a cover that closes when you twist it.
And opens when you twist.

That way you can dial the correct caliber you are shooting.
These would be located between the k baffles only to decrease gas blow by.
At anytime you would quickly be able to dial the largest caliber and shoot it.
Then a couple twist and you are shooting sub caliber.

Legal?
No because by changing the aperture you are changing the caliber, doesn't matter than it can be changed back, the problem is that you are changing the caliber.

This is no different than a rotating core.
In addition, it is hard enough to remove baffles from the tube after a few hundred rounds because of the crud. I would imagine an aperture similar to what you have seen on a scope would be close to useless after a few rounds. I can't imagine the complexity of any sort of manufacturers warranty.....
There wouldn't be a warranty since no manufacturer is insane enough to build it (if it were possible).
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Bendersquint wrote:
Artful wrote:I'll try and find time in the next week to talk to them about my idea. After all they were helpful with SBR pprwrk.
It would need to be in writing, remember chit chat doesn't hold up in court when you are prosecuted.

If you are going to chat about the idea you already posted then I have already told you what they will say. I brought that idea up with them close to 5 years ago and twice since then and still get the same answer.
But their written word doesn't hold up either - And why didn't you mention you had already approached them previously multiple times and been denied?

I'll see what I can whip up for them anyway - you never know they may say go ahead.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Artful wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Artful wrote:I'll try and find time in the next week to talk to them about my idea. After all they were helpful with SBR pprwrk.
It would need to be in writing, remember chit chat doesn't hold up in court when you are prosecuted.

If you are going to chat about the idea you already posted then I have already told you what they will say. I brought that idea up with them close to 5 years ago and twice since then and still get the same answer.
But their written word doesn't hold up either - And why didn't you mention you had already approached them previously multiple times and been denied?

I'll see what I can whip up for them anyway - you never know they may say go ahead.
No, the written word doesn't hold up either, so even if you get permission you may find out that they gave it in err and retract it. If they retract it bye bye silencer!

I did say it though I didn't word it the exact way you needed to hear it but its all there.
Bendersquint wrote:Even as a manufacturer we can't even get approval to make one for experimental or .gov use only. So if a licensed 07/02 can't do it why would a Form1 stamp owner be?
"Even as a manufacturer we can't get approval" says it has been asked.

I just spoke with the NFA branch again and the explanation I was given was if the ATF could not simply remove the silencer from whatever gun it is on and without changing anything fire the registered caliber through it and not destroy/damage the silencer then it is illegal. The only allowable change would be a thread pitch change on the mount.

So the camera aperture thing and the rotating core is out, yet again.

If you are able to get approval then you will change the way the industry has operated since 1934.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Bendersquint wrote: I just spoke with the NFA branch again and the explanation I was given was if the ATF could not simply remove the silencer from whatever gun it is on and without changing anything fire the registered caliber through it and not destroy/damage the silencer then it is illegal. The only allowable change would be a thread pitch change on the mount.
And yet as I recall they gave YHM a hard time with their thread pitch change system :roll:

I wonder if you made the threading for the barrel part of the core internals so that only correct thread would line up with the correct bore it would solve the issue?

IE- back of the core threaded to accept barrel 1/2x28 to 22 bore - 9/16x24 for 40 cal bore and only way put on barrel matches the correct bore?
If you made it so the expansion/baffel chambers didn't interconnect then you have two can's in one core with two bores. One of which is always the one
registered on the pprwrk....
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

"I want a pony."

........"You can't have a pony."

"What if I got a pony and called it a dog?"

"What if the pony wore a disguise?"

"But I want a pony."

etc.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

MV10 wrote:"I want a pony."

"What if I got a pony and called it a dog?"

"What if the pony wore a disguise?"

"But I want a pony."

etc.

Thats perfect MV10! That is exactly how this discussion is going.

I admire his determination but he is totally missing the concept and the justification.
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

Well, about the third time around the block I could no longer resist.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Where there's a will there's a lawyer.

I just like to see if I can get around rules a bit.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Artful wrote:Where there's a will there's a lawyer.

Well, if you hold a $35,000.00 a plate fund raiser the probability
that you can get a more accommodating outcome would rise
exponentially. The Chicago way. :) :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Artful wrote:Where there's a will there's a lawyer.

Research KwikrNu, you are following his footsteps we don't need another KwikRnu.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

Form 1 a .45ACP can, and use a wiped design.

That's the closest you're going to get without leaving the country.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

sillycon wrote:Form 1 a .45ACP can, and use a wiped design.

That's the closest you're going to get without leaving the country.
You nailed it.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Impressive fender washer can!

Bet a dollar they didn't submit it for approval to the FTB.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

Take a look at the Silencerco Saker. They got a ruling that the end cap is an accessory ***edit retracted for lack of information*** somehow Probably the closest thing you can get to a swappable caliber and I'm not sure the ATF is going to give you the same determination as a form 1 builder.
Last edited by propeine on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

propeine wrote:Take a look at the Silencerco Saker. They got a ruling that the end cap is an accessory because it doesn't actually hold the baffles in place. Probably the closest thing you can get to a swappable caliber and I'm not sure the ATF is going to give you the same determination as a form 1 builder.
I would be very cautious about assuming what a ruling says without seeing it.

There is also a significant different between what the ATF allows for industry and Form1 builders.

In my experience the ATF will not approve something like this for a Form1 builder. They generally won't approve special requiests for one off, thats why industry can do it because its for sales production, not a single can.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

For a suppressor on the cheap try this. https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.p ... h=20_26_69 And this for a demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

You could get two adapters for about $190.00, plus the "cans".

You might get laughed at a lot two.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

I just watched that video. Doesn't he have a handful of extra suppressor parts there the he is calling 20 cal reducers? He can't really have gotten approval to build that? Can he?
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Deleted
Last edited by hardcase on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

srs wrote:
I just watched that video. Doesn't he have a handful of extra suppressor parts there the he is calling 20 cal reducers? He can't really have gotten approval to build that? Can he?
Only hand full I saw referenced was .22 ammo.

Watch them again.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

So, to throw a wrench in the mix. Someone at Silencer Co. told me that you get change out the endcaps on their 7.62 and 5.56 cans (the Saker, I believe) and get better performance shooting a 5.56 through a 7.62. They may have meant something they did at the factory, but I was under the impression that you could purchase endcaps from them and that they were interchangeable...

http://www.store.silencerco.com/collect ... -front-cap
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Prince Yamato wrote:So, to throw a wrench in the mix. Someone at Silencer Co. told me that you get change out the endcaps on their 7.62 and 5.56 cans (the Saker, I believe) and get better performance shooting a 5.56 through a 7.62. They may have meant something they did at the factory, but I was under the impression that you could purchase endcaps from them and that they were interchangeable...

Yes, they can be changed because they are not required for the can to function...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
Prince Yamato wrote:So, to throw a wrench in the mix. Someone at Silencer Co. told me that you get change out the endcaps on their 7.62 and 5.56 cans (the Saker, I believe) and get better performance shooting a 5.56 through a 7.62. They may have meant something they did at the factory, but I was under the impression that you could purchase endcaps from them and that they were interchangeable...

Yes, they can be changed because they are not required for the can to function...
Technically, neither are baffles.....but in this case the Saker can change exit apertures because it isn't really even the exit aperture, just a cap that goes on the end.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I love these old threads. A few years go by ad everything changes.

https://enfieldriflecompany.com/novus/landing-page/
Putting the laughter in manslaughter