Dead Air Mask-22

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Aaron
Silent Operator

Dead Air Mask-22

Post by Aaron »

Any word on when these will be available? I haven't seen any performance numbers tear downs, nothing. I'm interested in picking up a 22 suppressor and given it's pedigree, I'd like to give this one a look before I make a move.

Aaron
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dead Air Mask-22

Post by AlabamaPaul »

I believe they're not supposed to come out until "sometime this summer"...
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

Aaron wrote:Any word on when these will be available? I haven't seen any performance numbers tear downs, nothing. I'm interested in picking up a 22 suppressor and given it's pedigree, I'd like to give this one a look before I make a move.

Aaron

Dead Air is giving one away every month on their instagram @deadairsilencers
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

No solid release date as of yet unless it was changed in the past couple weeks, but hopefully sooner than later. I'm looking forward to seeing them.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Production has begun, so they will be coming! I'm going to give the usual industry answer: 3 weeks. OK, in all honesty, knowing how supply chains work and the Form 3 process, it will probably be a little longer before some dealers get some in their hands.

We've been waiting to show off the internals until some patent stuff has been taken care of. Let me check and see where that is and maybe I can get some pictures up. I think people will be surprised by the baffle stack. It's a bit of a departure from what we've designed in the past, but we feel it brings together the most efficient baffle system to date while keeping it extremely user serviceable.
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Very good. Id love more info.
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Mageever wrote:Production has begun, so they will be coming! I'm going to give the usual industry answer: 3 weeks. OK, in all honesty, knowing how supply chains work and the Form 3 process, it will probably be a little longer before some dealers get some in their hands.

We've been waiting to show off the internals until some patent stuff has been taken care of. Let me check and see where that is and maybe I can get some pictures up. I think people will be surprised by the baffle stack. It's a bit of a departure from what we've designed in the past, but we feel it brings together the most efficient baffle system to date while keeping it extremely user serviceable.

Any update on this?
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Hi Aaron,

We're now patent pending on the Mask and I'll be in the plant next week to check on production and I'll send out an update then. I'll also try to get to some renderings up tomorrow to let people get some sneak peeks on the internals. Stay tuned!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Looking foreword to seeing the guts! :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Here's the assembled stack for now. Silencertalk exclusive 8)

ImageMask Stack by mageever, on Flickr
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Emilio wrote:Looking foreword to seeing the guts! :D

Should have asked to see the inside of the guts :(
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

fastfire wrote:
Emilio wrote:Looking foreword to seeing the guts! :D

Should have asked to see the inside of the guts :(
Sorry, couldn't help it!

A key feature we wanted in this was a way to keep sealed baffle stacks from sticking in the tube. Mike Pappas was the guy that set up the the incredible customer service system that had just never existed in the industry. He was the guy that personally repaired anything that came back from the field. He observed that "sealed" baffle stacks still had some level of leakage that would then quickly fill that tight space between the stack and tube. A little bit goes a long way when there's only a few thou' of clearance and then you're still left pounding the stack out with a wooden dowel or a pusher tool.

Here are some key features:

--Baffle stack has stand-offs to prevent a full "weld up" of the baffles in the tube. This further improves your ability to remove the stack after a high round count because it only lightly makes contact with the ID of the tube. Hence, the stand-off stack.

--The complete stack seals off on the caps so that gunk is completely encapsulated from face to face of the caps.

--Blast baffle is a hybrid M baffle that creates a symmetrical blast chamber for the bullet to enter to ensure stability.

--Primary baffles are a type of highly optimized K-baffles that are more of a double-cone baffle. (the face of the K baffle isn't just flat or milled out, but it's a cone that sweeps forward toward the next cone. The shrinks the secondary chamber and compresses the baffle structure. Secondary baffle volume does not do as much work as primary, so this space could go.

--Final baffle is is symmetrical again like the blast baffle and this creates the most neutral environment possible for the bullet as it leaves the suppressor and transitions to the atmosphere. This helps with stabilization and precision. 22lr is extremely susceptible to destabilizing forces and some pistols are worse than others (P22 for example).

--The forward baffle nests within the preceding baffle. The leading cone of that baffle sits on a ledge and seals there. The diameter of the shroud around it is much larger in diameter so that the baffle can be tilted and pulled out past the buildup.

Baffles and caps: 17-4 PH stainless steel
Tube: Titanium
Weight: 6.8 oz
Length: 5.125"

ImageMask line cutaway by mageever, on Flickr
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Thanks for the info and pictures .

Looks more intricate to manufacture. What's the street price? Surprised on the weight but would be nice to see sound tests.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

Come on, Todd. Status?
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Now that we've seen the drawings, how about some teardown pics (or a video) of the real deal.

Aaron
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

I confirmed that Form 3's are being processed, so these will be shipping soon. I'll see if we can get some teardown pics. I know it's in the works, so I'll push some buttons there. Sound testing on pistols is comfortably in the 114-116 dB range with minimal FRP. Everyone in the company has been travelling lately so we're having a hard time getting some good, quality, "social media" time.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Real life pictures of Mask-22 baffles posted on my FB page last night. http://www.facebook.com/nfareviewchannel

Scroll down and you'll see em ;)
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

For those that don't want to hunt for pics.....

sundazes

Post by sundazes »

Price ??
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Follow the link to the facebook page, lots more pictures.

I just preordered the heavy duty version from Hall's Firearms here in Ohio. if anyone in NW Ohio looking for a great guy to business with, look him up. I've done business with him 3 or 4 times now and he's great.

Am I allowed to say the price he quoted me on here? I don't want to break any rules or get Hall's or myself in trouble.
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Aaron wrote:Follow the link to the facebook page, lots more pictures.

I just preordered the heavy duty version from Hall's Firearms here in Ohio. if anyone in NW Ohio looking for a great guy to business with, look him up. I've done business with him 3 or 4 times now and he's great.

Am I allowed to say the price he quoted me on here? I don't want to break any rules or get Hall's or myself in trouble.

The 2 baffle picks posted here are the only baffle pics posted on FB.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

fastfire wrote:
Aaron wrote:Follow the link to the facebook page, lots more pictures.

The 2 baffle picks posted here are the only baffle pics posted on FB.
No. You must click on the pictures to see the rest in the set, there are way more than whats posted here. There are some that I added in the comments as I thought I had intitally uploaded them but for some reason they didn't make the cut. I also wanted everyone to visit the DA social media pages to help them out.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

Todd,

Are the Form 3s for the Masks coming back, yet and are you shipping, yet?

Best,
Rob
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Blackwater wrote:Todd,

Are the Form 3s for the Masks coming back, yet and are you shipping, yet?

Best,
Rob

Hi Rob. We expect them very soon. They've been out for over a month now I believe.
Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

How many pre-orders do we have here?

I'm 1.