Dead Air Mask-22

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dead Air Mask-22

Post by ericdraven »

so , which is better right now sparrow or the mask ??? buddy looking for new one , im waiting on my regulator

and you are right all tests are different , you got Spectre 2 at 15,16 db while other sites got it at 111 112

i reckon with all the variables nobody is 100 % accurate
LittleLebowski

Post by LittleLebowski »

I'd get the Mask IF it's in stock.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

My dealer has one serial number left and I broke down and claimed it as mine. I think I will be all set on rimfire cans now. I have one in hand and two pending before the Mask came to my attention but this one looked like one I couldn't pass up. Excited to get this one!!
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
HK Nole

Post by HK Nole »

I think sound has a hit a limit in 22 cans. Most of the new cans can only claim a couple DBs over the sparrow. I just don't see enough in the Mask to consider it over the sparrow especially with the heavy duty running 500$. It is nice to see options in the category and I'm glad to see Pappas doing well as he was a key contributor in Silcos success.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

HK Nole wrote:I think sound has a hit a limit in 22 cans. Most of the new cans can only claim a couple DBs over the sparrow. I just don't see enough in the Mask to consider it over the sparrow especially with the heavy duty running 500$. It is nice to see options in the category and I'm glad to see Pappas doing well as he was a key contributor in Silcos success.

SADLY I AGREE , im waiting on my regulator that dave said had numbers around 110 db and a few 109 . cant wait

i think unless some unknown wonder baffle design pops up i think it will be trying to make the gun quieter /

i was looking at the sparrow before i saw regulator , and i had to regulator . i also have a spectre2 , mack bro echo , and soon regulator . and was going with dead air , but they are around 115 db so i passed on it .
mrvip27

Post by mrvip27 »

ericdraven wrote:
HK Nole wrote:I think sound has a hit a limit in 22 cans. Most of the new cans can only claim a couple DBs over the sparrow. I just don't see enough in the Mask to consider it over the sparrow especially with the heavy duty running 500$. It is nice to see options in the category and I'm glad to see Pappas doing well as he was a key contributor in Silcos success.

SADLY I AGREE , im waiting on my regulator that dave said had numbers around 110 db and a few 109 . cant wait

i think unless some unknown wonder baffle design pops up i think it will be trying to make the gun quieter /

i was looking at the sparrow before i saw regulator , and i had to regulator . i also have a spectre2 , mack bro echo , and soon regulator . and was going with dead air , but they are around 115 db so i passed on it .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgOjusBWeY

That might change your mind :D
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

mrvip27 wrote:
ericdraven wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgOjusBWeY

That might change your mind :D

not really . but im gonna wait and see what other suppressors are around the corner .
HansohnBrothers

Post by HansohnBrothers »

LittleLebowski wrote:I'd get the Mask IF it's in stock.
You would? How many do you need? :wink:

Hansohn Brothers, LLC
Culpeper, VA
www.HansohnBrothers.com
540-748-8155
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

ericdraven wrote:

Those numbers really depend on host and day of test. I metered a production Mask HD yesterday at 112 average with shots dipping below 110. I've also metered it at 117, but all the competitor cans were high too.

You'll find the Regulator is about 1-2 dB quieter on a pistol than the Mask on average. On a rifle, the Masked metered 1-2 dB better than the Regulator. NFA Talk metered them on the same day and their numbers fit this. If you plotted it, most shots overlap and as the shooter you can't always tell the difference.

Don't base your purchase on those numbers alone--both cans are a step up suppression-wise--but look at features, size, etc. If I didn't already own a Form 1 can that is virtually identical to the Regulator, I'd be buying one.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Just what I was looking for.
jrmy_1

Post by jrmy_1 »

HansohnBrothers wrote:I'll run a more controlled test this weekend and compare it with an Element 2.
Did you ever run a comparison with Element2? If so, I'd love to know how they compared, especially frp on short pistol. I just ordered the mask but was also considering the Element2 due to lower weight. Can you tell the element is lighter on a short pistol host such as a buck mark which is what I'll be sticking it on.

Probably gonna pic up another 22 can and curious if I should go Element2 or get another Mask-HD on order.

Also have a 10/22 and bolt 22 host to spin one on.

Thx!
J
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The Mask is probably THE best when it comes to FRP on pistols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiWBaizCf3Y

I wouldn't consider the Element2 nowadays. The tube isn't shielded from fouling and lead buildup like the Mask/Spectre/Sparrow.