Form 1 tech data

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

clampdriver

Form 1 tech data

Post by clampdriver »

Ok folks I am so new to this Im not even crawling yet.I have 2 questions.1 Where can I find the legal requirements for building a suppressor ( I have searched the atf website for a guide ) Probably right under me nose. 2 What kind of Decibel levels should you expect with a finished product on an AR.I have already filed my paper work on a form 1 and have recieved my approved back so I am ready to go ? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Have A Great Day..
RogerRonas

Re: Form 1 tech data

Post by RogerRonas »

How were you able to fill out a form 1 without knowing what you are going to build?
what caliber?
what length?
individual or other?
Man talk about putting the cart before the horse
MOLON LABE

I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

clampdriver wrote:1 Where can I find the legal requirements for building a suppressor ( I have searched the atf website for a guide ) Probably right under me nose. 2 What kind of Decibel levels should you expect with a finished product on an AR.
First, ?s are normally punctuated w a ?. You are asking for confusion.
Next: 1. The legal requirements are viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123787 and https://www.atf.gov/file/58251/download, https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download.
Do you have a specific question?
2. Varies depending upon design and your ability. Anywhere from below sonic crack(138dB) to the unsuppressed 168dB.
Subsonic rds are quieter when suppressed. ARs have a noisy gas system. Ejection port noise can be louder than the blast.
clampdriver wrote:I have already filed my paper work on a form 1 and have recieved my approved back so I am ready to go ?
Yes. You can now build. Don't allow anyone access to your parts unless in your presence. A suppressor is a "gun" according to NFA1934. So guard it effectively.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
clampdriver

Post by clampdriver »

Sorry I was in a big hurry earlier as my grandaughter was wanting her 4 wheeler ride grandpa promised her.I am going to build a suppressor for an ar15 5.56 caliber.Not knowing that you could put na in the length box I put 8 inches.Again sorry I am a little dumb but not completly stupid,even though it my seem like it to some folks.I am very good at reading and following directions as long as I can find out where to go to get that information.As I understand it since I filled out my form 1 for 8 inches that means an oal length of 8 inches total including adapters and end cap correct ? then since in will be for a 5.56 rd the diameter being .224 is there an allowable variance ? If so how much ? Most of the DIY suppressors I have seen work get about a 117 decibel on the decibel meter,with standard non subsonic ammo. I would think some where on the atf website there would be guidelines for this? Also I do have horses and I can tell you it is impossible to put the horse before the cart.... Again thanks for any and all help...
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

clampdriver wrote:Again sorry I am a little dumb but not completly stupid,
Don't feel bad about not being completely stupid. That's actually for the best.
(I'm teasing, not being mean. A few on this Site ARE mean and discourage new Members from posting. Many have erased their posts and left. Please have a thick skin and don't get discouraged. Hopefully you've seen that about 20-30 people are very helpful and glad to. There are a handful of miscreants that drift in and out. Just don't engage them unless you enjoy the conflict.)
clampdriver wrote:As I understand it since I filled out my form 1 for 8 inches that means an oal length of 8 inches total including adapters and end cap correct ? then since in will be for a 5.56 rd the diameter being .224 is there an allowable variance ? If so how much ? Most of the DIY suppressors I have seen work get about a 117 decibel on the decibel meter,with standard non subsonic ammo. I would think some where on the atf website there would be guidelines for this? Also I do have horses and I can tell you it is impossible to put the horse before the cart.... Again thanks for any and all help...
A: Not the adapter unless it functions to suppress. (like a booster) Otherwise, just from endcap to endcap.
B: .224" (.22 caliber) is the nominal. That means you can make it larger, but not smaller. I don't know of any cases where caliber marking has been challenged. Some make a .223" w .375" bore. This allows TREMENDOUS errors in making. Lots of bore clearance.
Many people mark the largest caliber that can safely be fired. This encompasses "all lesser, included" sizes.
I suppose that if you used a .22 can on a 10ga shotgun, Wildlife Officials might ? your choice of engraving. But large enough to fire 300 BLK should be fine.
C: Supersonic crack is ~138Db. If you tested 1m left and 10m to front of suppressor, this would be reflected. 117dB is typical of subsonic ammo for centerfire or standard for .22lr.
D: The ATF doesn't list performance guidelines. They just Regulate manufacture, possession, transfer, etc. Actual manufacture specifics, designs, performance, etc is up to Makers and Users.
E: I typically harness the horse b/f the cart. That way he can pull. 8) Do you harness to side or behind? :shock: :P
clampdriver

Post by clampdriver »

Great information and alot of help thanks.I have very thick skin and controversy nor miscreants bother me.Sometimes good info can be obtained by listening or watching the miscreants. 1 more question then Im off to build.I am going to make removable baffles so I can clean the suppressor,is there any restrictions on them? as how many I have or the design? As im wanting to try several different ideas to make this as quiet as possible.My ultimate goal is to make one that I can use with out hearing protection.Understanding OSHA regs say anything under 120 db is the acceptable level as long as its not a constant long term exposure. Again thanks for all your help
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

I'll reply PM.
RogerRonas

Post by RogerRonas »

You only get one chance to build the suppressor. No spare p[arts and no changes to try different things.
Sorry for being so negative in my first response to your thread.
Roger
MOLON LABE

I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6!
clampdriver

Post by clampdriver »

I sure hope they get this hearing protection act passed that should rid us of all this stuff,geeze need to be a computer with all the dos and donts for something that does you no good with out a weapon anyway..But thanks for all the info and help.It will keep me out of trouble..
faizanmazhar00

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

clampdriver wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:40 am Ok folks I am so new to this Im not even crawling yet.I have 2 questions.1 Where can I find the legal requirements for building a suppressor ( I have searched the atf website for a guide ) Probably right under me nose. 2 What kind of Decibel levels should you expect with a finished product on an AR.I have already filed my paper work on a form 1 and have recieved my approved back so I am ready to go ? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Have A Great Day..
I sure hope they get this hearing protection act passed that should rid us of all this stuff,geeze need to be a computer with all the dos and donts for something that does you no good with out a weapon anyway..But thanks for all the info and help.