which can for a 3 lug 9mm SBR

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

paperhunter
Silent Operator

which can for a 3 lug 9mm SBR

Post by paperhunter »

I was running an old AAC EVO 9 on a couple different 9mm SBR's with 3-lug adapters, but that can is now ruined. What are my choices for new cans?
All I want is easy cleaning (user serviceable that I can clean baffles by dipping them)

I THINK these may work.
-YHM-9920 9mm Wraith XL 3 Lug?
-Silencerco OCTANE 9?
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: which can for a 3 lug 9mm SBR

Post by quiettime »

Several reputable sources say the Omega 9k is amazing on a 9mm sbr.

I have shot the Obsidian 45 on a 9mm pistol and it was extremely pleasant to shoot. I bought one and plan on running it on 300 BLK and a 9mm sbr
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

I'm now thinking a Silencerco Omega 9k or a YHM 3 lug 9mm Wraith. Both sealed cans.
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

The Gemtech MK-9K is still a wonderful can. from the top, YHM , Gemtech MK 9K , Silencerco Octane 45 all 3 lug. Of these three and several others, I use the MK-9K most often, that may change when the Omega 9K arrives, time will tell.
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

STL/N.E.R.D.S. wrote:The Gemtech MK-9K is still a wonderful can. from the top, YHM , Gemtech MK 9K , Silencerco Octane 45 all 3 lug. Of these three and several others, I use the MK-9K most often, that may change when the Omega 9K arrives, time will tell.

Why is the MK-9K the favorite? I'm having trouble locating a YHM Wraith XL 3-Lug.

Gemtech Raptor II? Not as quiet as the Wraith?
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

I have a Liberty Mystic. I use it on my 9mm SBR / autos.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

We are working on the 3 lug adapter now, its pretty much done just have to do some testing with it. This will attach to the rear of our 9mm multi use can viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136568 . This is the perfect 9mm can for hard sbr use, we offer it with a SS tube also, for hard full auto use. The suppressor is sold with an aluminum tube standard just to cut weight because with the encapsulated ss baffles the tube doesn't see any abuse, if you run the can hard enough on full auto for a long period it would be possible to melt the aluminum tube, this is where you would want the SS tube.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

What are your thoughts on the Hybrid? I know it's over bore size but large volume, tough and 3-lug?
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

The tone is very pleasant on the MK-9K,

Why is the MK-9K the favorite? I'm having trouble locating a YHM Wraith XL 3-Lug.

Gemtech Raptor II? Not as quiet as the Wraith?[/quote]
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

All good suggestions! Thank you for responding. I'm torn between a solid, old school style like the MK-9k (that's the one Gemtech recommended when I called), and something more versatile like the hybrid, Mystic, Curtis Tactical ST9CFP, or Octane. Also, I'm having trouble finding anything actually available.

I don't NEED to run it on a pistol, I'm really considering it as a quick switch dedicated 9mm carbine can that I can run hard and not worry about.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

Right now, for a subgun or pistol caliber SBR the Omega 9K is a fantastic option.

I'm back and forth on if the Ghost is going to live on the MPX, or if the Omega 9K is going to stay there. The other is going to live on a Mac... both are great on sub guns.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

paperhunter wrote:All good suggestions! Thank you for responding. I'm torn between a solid, old school style like the MK-9k (that's the one Gemtech recommended when I called), and something more versatile like the hybrid, Mystic, Curtis Tactical ST9CFP, or Octane. Also, I'm having trouble finding anything actually available.

I don't NEED to run it on a pistol, I'm really considering it as a quick switch dedicated 9mm carbine can that I can run hard and not worry about.
If you don't need the 3 lug adapter we can put whatever thread you want in the rear cap to direct thread, it will keep the length of the suppressor at 7" over all. Not sure what state you are in but we have them ready to go form 3 or form 4.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:Right now, for a subgun or pistol caliber SBR the Omega 9K is a fantastic option.

I'm back and forth on if the Ghost is going to live on the MPX, or if the Omega 9K is going to stay there. The other is going to live on a Mac... both are great on sub guns.
I saw a video on YouTube of someone using an Omega 9k with GA 3-lug for a tiny package. Have you tried the GA 3lug on the Omega 9k and if so did you like it?
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

curtistactical wrote:
paperhunter wrote:All good suggestions! Thank you for responding. I'm torn between a solid, old school style like the MK-9k (that's the one Gemtech recommended when I called), and something more versatile like the hybrid, Mystic, Curtis Tactical ST9CFP, or Octane. Also, I'm having trouble finding anything actually available.

If you don't need the 3 lug adapter we can put whatever thread you want in the rear cap to direct thread, it will keep the length of the suppressor at 7" over all. Not sure what state you are in but we have them ready to go form 3 or form 4.
Joe
Joe,
Tempting, but I don't think I want to go the direct thread route at this time.
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

Update. After much hand wringing, I ordered a YHM 3 lug 9mm Wraith XL (YHM-9920).

http://yhm.net/9mm-wraith-xl-q-d-sound- ... -1358.html

I'm concerned:
-past reviews of old Wraith's say they aren't that quiet
-I'll be stuck with a 3-lug only can. The 3-lug part is built in- from Sales at YHM, "The 3-lug Wraith is only and ever a 3-lug Wraith".
-it's definitely not a commonly purchased item, not much available for current reviews

BUT:
At 11 sealed ounces with no additional adaptors and a claimed 124 DB, it could be awesome. I'll find out!

Thank you all for your input. If the Wraith wasn't available, I would have tried to get a:
1-Silencerco Hybrid, cons- heavy and "overkill" for a 9mm carbine
2-Silencerco Omega 9K, cons- not that quiet
3-Liberty Mystic-X, cons- I don't want to feel like I have to clean it
4-Gemtech MK-9K, cons- heavy and I don't want to feel like I have to clean it

I realize that my original post called for "easy cleaning", but I changed my mind. Maybe I need more than 1 new can.......Hmmmmmm
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

Update:
It’s been years since I posed the original question, BUT the 3 lug wraiths kick butt on 9mm carbines with 3 lug. New question, looking for a sealed 9mm can for a pistol. Thinking of a SilencerCo Omega 9 k. Are there any other sealed 9mm cans I should consider? I’m not good about cleaning, and I like that the Omega is sealed.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Why are you so set on a sealed can?
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

It’s a personal thing. I’m not good at consistent cleaning, and I have enough specialty wrenches to keep track of already, so I prefer that I CAN’T take it apart. I know it’s odd, but it makes me happy. Good question.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Well the sealed can gets just as dirty, as you know.

I think if I were in the market for a sealed pistol can I'd get the Dead Air Wolfman.

Omega 9k would be my second choice but I'm not a huge fan of Sico after they bought SWR and then fired everybody. Dead Air is a solid company that is trying to keep bringing innovation to the market.
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

Thank you for the suggestion. I had not previously considered the wolfman.