My form was approved but new discovery of an error in 2a....WTF!!!!!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

My form was approved but new discovery of an error in 2a....WTF!!!!!

Post by starlingstalker »

Got a call from my dealer yesterday that my stamp came in!!! Christmas in July! And been waiting just over a year.
Well, when I got there, the Form 4 in section 2a had a typo in the title as was submitted by the distributor. Instead of "Firearms Trust" in the spelling as expected, it reads "Fiearms Trust".
A missing "R". A single key stroke!!!! A significant sin of omission.
An obvious mistake........... and human error.... and MAJOR dissappointment :mrgreen: !!!!
So, are there hidden legal implications as a mismatch back to my trust under 41P? Where is the fine print that I may be missing?
So the distributor is on the hook for a correction(s) somehow ????
No margin for error Positively dictates no possession,YET ! :roll:
So, at the present, STILL no can. :cry:
What are the expected protocols/procedures for forms correction? :?
Legal expertise MUCH appreciated........
Thank You,
starlingstalker :(
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: My form was approved but new discovery of an error in 2a....WTF!!!!!

Post by John A. »

Hopefully it will be as simple as a written letter to the NFA branch for the correction, like an update when you change calibers or barrel lengths on an SBR.
I don't care what your chart says
dirtjumper895

Post by dirtjumper895 »

I had a semi similar thing happen on a pre41F item. The dealer wrote a 3 instead of a 4 in the serial number. The original form 4 was approved in mid October 16. We figured it out prior to transferring the item, and the ATF had us resubmit a new FORM 4 with the correct serial number. In less than 2 weeks, the new form 4 was approved with stamp in hand, still going by the pre41F rules.

The ATF examiner claimed we could not correct the original form 4 due to the tax money already being applied to the approved form 4. However they were able to use that money and apply it to the new form 4.

Hope this helps, it only added about 2 weeks to the total 10 month transfer time.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Yeah, they usually turn errors around pretty quickly as long as they're notified as quickly as possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

The STAMP came back? If so, the ATF gave you the green light. Just go on as normal.

Or did the 2320.04 come back with a correction letter?

Two very different circumstances.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Post by starlingstalker »

Well, my dealer sent off the form with the corrected Firearms Trust in the "approved" section where she had previously initialed and checked the box. He was told that a supervisor or head of the NFA would correct and expedite for a quickie turnaround....
Ok, form was back at my dealers on 8.7.2017 Monday! Hot damn!!! :D
The only change that was obvious was a yellow highlighter with "20M" written on the right corner at the very top by the bold application print.
It appears to me that it probably was logged in for a correction, reviewed and then promptly rejected and remailed. :shock:
Sooo, 14 months less 3 days from smoking a credit card on a whim start to finish and my QD AAC big bore can is out of jail and home 4 ever!!!! :P

Now the fun part.... need a host without another smoked credit card or mortgage. Could do the Lapua reluctantly... Any wild ideas in 338 Federal? :mrgreen:
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!