First suppressor, advice picking one

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tonton

First suppressor, advice picking one

Post by Tonton »

Hi. I am new to the suppressor world and excited to get in. But before I can submit my tax stamp, I have to pick out what I am going to get. I have a AR in 223 and another in 300blk. I am getting the suppressor mainly for the 300blk and planning on shooting subs with it. However it would be sweet to be able to toss it on the 223 as well. Also, I am building a glock (3d printed lower so it can be ultra customized) in 9mm. So I am torn between getting the dead air Wolfman because I have heard it does pretty well with 300 blk subs or do I get something dedicated to the 300 blk and just make my own 9mm suppressor later and submit another stamp for that? If I went for just the 300 blk I'd probably go with the dead air Nomad-L or the surefire socom 300 sps. I want to have the 300 blk quiet enough to shoot comfortably without hearing protection. It does have an adjustable gas block in it too.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: First suppressor, advice picking one

Post by Capt. Link. »

Tonton wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:33 pm Hi. I am new to the suppressor world and excited to get in. But before I can submit my tax stamp, I have to pick out what I am going to get. I have a AR in 223 and another in 300blk. I am getting the suppressor mainly for the 300blk and planning on shooting subs with it. However it would be sweet to be able to toss it on the 223 as well. Also, I am building a glock (3d printed lower so it can be ultra customized) in 9mm. So I am torn between getting the dead air Wolfman because I have heard it does pretty well with 300 blk subs or do I get something dedicated to the 300 blk and just make my own 9mm suppressor later and submit another stamp for that? If I went for just the 300 blk I'd probably go with the dead air Nomad-L or the surefire socom 300 sps. I want to have the 300 blk quiet enough to shoot comfortably without hearing protection. It does have an adjustable gas block in it too.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!
If you have the skills and access to machinery I would build before I buy. Three dedicated suppressors are better than one.
I have heard that many 9mm suppressors work well on the 300blk.You should see if the manufacturer of your choice permits the two calibers in question. The .223 is a hot round and again see if the 30 caliber you wish can be used on the .223.
I honestly would recommend a .22RF over a centerfire but if I had only one choice the 300blk would be it.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

I don't know if you've seen the link below, but it was a 2019 test of a whole slew of suppressors using a Ruger American Ranch rifle with a 16" barrel in 300 BLK, shooting subsonic ammo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Look at the muzzle sound measurement for each to compare them. The best ones are in the range of 22LR suppressors in performance.

For example, the Q Full Nelson was 120 db, and the Dead Air Nomad-L is similar and likely similar performance (and the Surefire Socom 300 SPS was 126.5 db). The Full Nelson and Nomad-L would also work well for full power ammo and also for .223. Personally, I'd want one suppressor that works really well on 300 BLK subsonic/supersonic and .223; and later get a separate 9mm suppressor (a ton of excellent ones out there).
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
Tonton

Post by Tonton »

Thanks for the link and the info everyone :-) I am going to do that then I'll buy a nice 300blk and then I'll make my own 9mm later. :-) thanks for the info and for helping to make a tough decision easier. :-)
tiltawhirl

Post by tiltawhirl »

I just purchased a suppressor and tested it out on my 7.5 inch 300 Blackout that i built. (Deadair Wolfman K) Videos that you see online all sound great but hearing for yourself is the real deal but can get expensive. I tested it with subs and supers and was MILDLY happy but I will probably sell it and keep searching until I find what i really want. I got the .30 cal for versatility and shave switched between my 2 5.56's (16" and 10.5") and will be ready when I build my .308 as I purchased extra KeyMo's for them. Building a home-made suppressor now but we'll see how that goes. Wish me luck.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me - Psalm 23:4
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

You bought a "K" model with its disappointing performance and you not asking for design and building tips?
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
tiltawhirl

Post by tiltawhirl »

Capt. Link. wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:32 am You bought a "K" model with its disappointing performance and you not asking for design and building tips?
-CL
Not yet but I'm sure I will as soon as I have a question
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me - Psalm 23:4
Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

I started with a 9mm suppressor and 5.56 for my AR, then I had to get one for every caliber I own...then multiple copies.

For 300BLK I use my 308 suppressors. They are heavier but it works.
SampleRx

Post by SampleRx »

I run a home-based FFL/SOT and have used/shot/sold/owned many a suppressor. I get this question very often ... so here goes:

For 300BLK, you can actually get backyard/Hollywood quiet with a good suppressor. It's a great caliber to suppress, so please don't skimp on trying to get a one-can-to-rule-them-all choice. That being said, a good 9mm can will actually do quite well, but not quite as fantastic as a dedicated 30cal can. If you're the kind of guy who doesn't "make do" with only two or three firearms, then don't "make do" with only one or two cans. Let's be honest; we all like buying guns anyway. Get a good rifle can, a good pistol/subgun can, and a good rimfire can (if you're a rimfire lover, and who isn't?) and you'll be stupid happy. After that (or along the way), you can branch out into the stuff that you really enjoy the most.

This article is helpful in prioritizing for 300BLK caliber.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... ppressors/

Consider the Dead Air Nomad line for 300BLK (any of them are great; I personally run a Nomad regular on my 8.5" 300BLK SBR), and the Wolfman is also a great choice if you want the 9mm sub gun capability too. Either one will run on your 223/5.56 as well, but Dead Air recommends using the Keymo mounts on the Wolfy for any centerfire rifle work. The mounts will add significantly to your costs, so heads up.

If budget is a major factor, it's damn hard to beat the Rex Silentium MG10. It's exactly as quiet as the DA Nomad-L for 2/3 the price. Full auto rated and universal rear end make it easy to caliber-swap to other hosts too. And ... you can get one in 358/9mm cal for the same price too. Local dealers will sell the MG10 as low as $650, so shop around a bit or make friends with a local FFL/SOT and have 'em sign up with Rex. They're easy to buy from and dealers really like their margins on the Rexxies.

So yeah ... happy shopping!