Looking for lowish cost .22 can to get started

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

psween

Looking for lowish cost .22 can to get started

Post by psween »

I'm new to this aspect of shooting, and I'm sure these questions have been answered, but the search function seems to be broken. In any case, I'm looking to get my first suppressor, and will stick to .22 LR for now. Not much has been mentioned about the lower cost offerings out there. I understand with the $200 stamp you don't want to waste it on an inferior product, but what about the Rebel cans? It seems they are effective and cost effective for .22 use. I just can't see paying 4-500 for a .22 can. I am an engineer, and have some machining experience, so if I still had access to a machine shop I'd build one, but I don't. That said, I can't figure out how it can cost so much to build one that a manufacturer can justify $400 plus for essentially an aluminum tube with some cones and threads. So, am I all wrong? Can a decent .22 suppressor be had for under $200? If not, why not? Help a clueless new guy out. My goal is quiet pest control with a Savage rifle, with the ability to work on a .22 pistol an added bonus down the line. Thanks,

Patrick
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for lowish cost .22 can to get started

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Only homemade F1s are under $200.

Reason: Overhead, real estate, capital improvements, government regulation, regulatory compliance, taxes/fees, lawyers, insurance, employees, etc.

Buy a $20 "fuel filter" from China and then make it yourself + $200 ATF tax stamp.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

Everything said above is true. Low cost manufacturers Rebel Silencers and Huntertown Arms are out of business.

High quality American made kits from xrt tactical and quiet bore are expensive and still require machining and painting. Those companies don't have the added expense of dealing with firearms or NFA items.

There are inexpensive ways to build a good .22 silencer.

There are some good options available at silencershop.com for $250-$300.
psween

Post by psween »

Thanks for the feedback, I guess that makes sense. I'm sure it costs plenty in time and paperwork to be a manufacturer, aside frome the actual machine and design time. What about the Thompson Machine line, looks like the Zephyr and Isis22 are both a little cheaper than AAC or Dead Air. Thanks again, I've been reading all I can and feel like I've learned a lot.

Patrick
mbogo300

Post by mbogo300 »

Buy subsonic ammunition (CB caps, BB caps, et al.) and sight the rifle in for that ammunition exclusively.

No can, no expensive stamp.
12 stamps and looking for one to put in jail. . :mrgreen:
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

In rimfire cans there isn't really that much difference in the bottom and the top, meaning money-wise. Performance-wose there is a difference. If you're really on that much of a budget that 200 to 300 bucks difference is going to make or break you, then you need the can which is going to last longer because you can only afford one.

That said, my first can was the SiCo Warlock II. Some people look down on it because it is aluminum and true, aluminum won't last as long as steel or even titanium, but it makes a great peat control or squirrel hunting can and the company isn't going anywhere soon. They go on sale for well under 300 bucks and are a "steal" at that price
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

And the reason the el cheapo companies went under is because you have to make profit to stay in business. You're only going to sell so many cans. It is a niche market. That said, buy some machines and see if your cost is still $200 😄
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

quiettime wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:10 pm And the reason the el cheapo companies went under is because you have to make profit to stay in business. You're only going to sell so many cans. It is a niche market. That said, buy some machines and see if your cost is still $200 😄

+1.

The 'real juice' as the criminals in the 1995 American crime drama film
Movie 'Heat' said is the action, not just the money.

For us tool junkies it really does not make a
difference what you machine .... The 'Real Juice
is salivating over, searching for, and acquiring
shiny metal tools, lathes, milling machines, etc.

It comes under the heading of shiny metal 'testosterone poisoning'.

Let us not get started on weapons collecting. :) :)

Good luck, have lots of fun.
SampleRx

Post by SampleRx »

I operate a home-based FFL/SOT and sell/own/play with a bunch of suppressors. Rimfire cans are a great place to start because you can actually get the backyard/Hollywood quiet with a good ammo/host combo. Perfect for introducing new shooters, and super fun for just about anyone. Having shot thru a number of entry-level rimfire cans (homemade Chinesium fuel filter, Radical RFSS22, Rebel SOS-22, etc), it's funny how similar the sounds are. Like a lot of silencer aficionados tho, I agree with the general consensus that your first can should be a factory one so as to avoid ruining your entry into the NFA world.

The fuel filter suppressor (built by a home-based FFL/SOT out of Oklahoma) has a ton of first round pop, but otherwise hangs with all the others for sound suppression. Feels cheap (obviously) and the threads are a bit wonky (lots of play when threading on; gotta really tighten it down to the barrel shoulder to get decent concentricity), but it sounds and performs OK. Here's a link to what it looks like (don't buy this tho).
https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Aluminum- ... B08262TXPW

Radical RFSS22 performs well for a tiny monocore can. FRP is noticeable, but it gives no POI shift at all on my precision 22LR bolty. It's a beast to clean tho, as the gunk sticks the outer sleeve to the inner core.

SilencerCo Warlock is a great choice for the money. Very light and good quality, but not built for hard use due to aluminum baffles.

Right now, the CGS Hydra-AL is $50 off at Silencer Shop ... and that's a crazy killer deal. I'm sure you can find a local dealer (like me!) who's selling them for around $200 after the discount, which sure ain't bad for a quiet, professionally built can with a lifetime warranty. This choice is highly recommended.

https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/ ... rder=price

So yeah ... there's a lot of decent choices in the $200-250 range that will bring you a lifetime of happiness. Happy shopping!