Walther PP/PPK project

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Walther PP/PPK project

Post by 1096369fred »

Hey Troops,
I haven’t posted on here in a while…. But I got a question / problem…. And figure this is the best place to ask. I have a
Manurhin Walther PP and a walther PPK/S slide that I would like to make suppressor friendly…. (I understand that as a blow back gun… it won’t be as effective as a locked breech gun). Here are my problems….

1. I would like to make this one with an end cap/ Thread (1/2x28) with an end cap the fits flush with the slide (like the .22 PPKs) when not using the thread adapter. I checked the .22’s adapter/end cap and it appears to be the same outer dimension as the .32 barrel… but may need to be bored out slightly for the .32 acp round.

2. Those silly German Enginers seem to have machined a recess in the barrel mount for the recoil spring on the PPK that is not present on the PP lower…. As a result a PPK spring won’t fit, the slide will not move rearwards far enough to allow assembly…..
I cut an old PP spring down, just far enough to allow it to fit together…. And it seems to work…. But I haven’t fired it…. And it feels a bit light….

3. If this Flying F. Fantasy of mine is feasible…. Who would do the best/most reasonable for the job…. I have used Tornado Tech and he does amazing work…. But I’m sure he is backed up forever….

Thanks!
Fred
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Walther PP/PPK project

Post by Historian »

A long ago successful upgrade to Walther PPK, ~1960 vintage,
was to remove PPK barrel and insert the longer PPKS long barrel.
Threaded before hand of course with long enough
thread to first thread on a thick 'washer' back stop
for alignment.

Technique for safely removing PPK barrel can be found
on long ago posts here using Markarova barrel removal/insertion
jig ... its description and pictures can be found
on internet.

If I locate pointer shall post.

Saw it in operation once and for .380 not satisfying.

Best
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

I believe the .32 has enough meat to thread for a bushing. Definitely not enough on a .380. The new PPKS that walther makes is nothing like the original. Historian is referring to a PP barrel as PPKS has the same barrel length as a PP.
We have threaded a few like what I mentioned above.
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 1096369fred »

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the reply……I think I do have one of those old “Federal Ordinance” Makarov barrel jigs…. If I dig deep enough
In the black reaches of my parts bins…

I have both a PP barrel and a PPK/s barrel….. my plan is to send in them both to a good ‘smith, let him decide which one would work best for my “brain child”, so Both barrels, the PPK/s slide, and the barrel cap and thread the adapter…. And hope that he can make it work…. I figure that since the cap and tread Adapter for the .22 ‘PPK/s are cheap and plentiful…. Would be as good as any I guess….

I fear I’m going to have to have the PP frame milled out like a PPK/s or the spring tension will be out of wack…. I wish I had a mill as I would take a stab at doing it myself…. But I’m pretty sure I would make a hash of it on my drill press…. A wise man said…(Saint Harry, the dirty) . “A man has GOT to know his limitations”!

Thanks!
Fred