308 Bullet

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Airborne Aviator

308 Bullet

Post by Airborne Aviator »

First posting, anyone have a suggestion for sub-sonic 308 ammo out of a 16"bbl with 1:10 twist that won't tumble or keyhole? Don't car if it won't cycle a semi as I have a side charger attachment.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: 308 Bullet

Post by quiettime »

1:10 is not great so be conservative. Jacketed bullets I probably wouldn't try much over 150 or 165 grains. 150 gr st 1000 fps still hotter than a 9mm pistol so no need to go crazy.

Flat base is better because it should be shorter overall than a boat tail of the same weight. Overall length is the real concern with stability, not the weight. Cast lead is great for this but it will lead up a sealed can. I played around a little bit with the 200 grain Lee in a 30-06 but I hated the crappy low quality 2 cavity molds Lee makes. Ended up building a 300 Blk with a 1:7 and abandoned the '06 project.

A pistol can will work for subsonic .308 and if it is a .45 can there is less chance of a strike. Cast bullets are fine for pistol cans.

If you're going to use a paper target to test for keyholing, you need to do it pretty close up to get truthful results. Your can does not care if a bullet is keyholing at 50 yards, but it is also possible for an unstable bullet to become more stable as it travels through the air.
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Re: 308 Bullet

Post by Pat M »

my buddy uses Hornady 30 Cal .308 180gr Round Nose for his subs, very quiet and accurate in my bolt gun