Running a 22lr Wet

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Turnerir

Running a 22lr Wet

Post by Turnerir »

Without actually measuring the dbs I have noticed that running a 10" suppressor dry, with 7 freeze plugs and using 22lr high velocity, is almost the same sound level, as running it wet using ultrasound gel. I am assuming that the larger internal volume of the can actually dissipates the heat more efficiently. If that is the case, how large would a 5.56 can need to be to achieve the same results?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Running a 22lr Wet

Post by Historian »

Is it correct to assume the I.D. of your tube is 1"?

If so then volume approx. 5 cubic inches minus baffles.

For .223 in past article need around 15 cubic inches.
Back of envelope calculation using a 1.25" or better
1.5" I.D.can gets figure of merit volume required.

Diligence requires you perform your own research to
confirm or dispute the above.

Best

p.s.Vignette: Long ago in a past unpleasantness OCONUS a 1.75" (diameter) x 8.5" L can
made for .45 had its internal baffles and end cap scaled down for .22 by armorer.

Calculated internal volume around 16 cubic inches or so.
Mounted on issued High Standard HDM/S as test bed
the result was reported to be demonstrably quieter than issue one.

Obviously some what awkward to wear under a bespoke Savile Row suit. :) :)
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

FYI, just about every manufacturer of centerfire rifle cans highly discourages shooting wet. With the very high pressures and velocities of supersonic rifle cartridges bad stiff can happen that just isn't a factor with pistol and rinfire ammo.
Turnerir

Post by Turnerir »

Thanks guys and the ID is 1.5".
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I have done studies on wet suppressors and have built several based on that work.
A high volume can work against you when ablatives are used.The heat of a small cartridge can only vaporize X amount. This X / volume = Charge Density. The density is less in larger volumes holding X value of charge.
The flashpoint of the ablative affects the duration its acted upon from the heat of the cartridge. The longer the period the more the Charge Density increases. Higher density's = more heat transfer and sound reduction.

I'm skipping over a huge amount of other factors involving baffle efficiency and how that helps the transfer of heat and how small volumes can be worked harder than large with current baffle choices etc.

In short if you don't notice a large difference in sound level when using ablatives it means the suppressor design dose not favor the increased density's of the gases involved and is partially explained above or the choice of coolant is wrong for the heat available.

Heed quiettime and his advice. Only suppressors specifically designed for ablatives can be used on center fire rifle cartridges.

The dry volume to equal the performance of a 1.5x10" .22lr suppressor is not the issue its the supersonic crack of the 5.56 projectile.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
noname

Post by noname »

I have a 22lr can. Most times I can get 22 standard velocity. Much quieter but not quite as much punch.