Newb question re: ASR mount / muzzle device loosens

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

kamato79

Newb question re: ASR mount / muzzle device loosens

Post by kamato79 »

Just received my stamp for my new SiCo Chimera. Threw it on a 8.3 300Blk pistol and fired about ~50 rounds at a reasonable pace. The can is mounted via a SiCo ASR brake. Here is my situation / question: I allowed the firearm to rest for a few minutes while loading up a few mags and wanted to remove the suppressor to mount on another weapon. When attempting to do so, I noticed the muzzle device turning with the can. So.... I stopped and didnt continue, sort of tightened it back and allowed it to fully cool. As I was wrapping up my session, I went back to this weapon and removed the can with ease, the muzzle device had hardened back up and wasnt turning with the can. I fully removed and cleaned the muzzle device and threads when I got back home and will be re-installing it. Note - I did use Rocksett and shims when installing it initially, so Im a little baffled. Is it not okay to remove the can when it is still hot? Maybe there was oil on the threads, thats about all I can think of. Any other experiences or recommendations for making a rock-solid muzzle device? Im going to go with rocksett again, but this time will heat cure it vs. just allowing it to dry. Appreciate any help and/or advice. Thanks!