Can I use a Griffin Optimus Micro on my .204?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Can I use a Griffin Optimus Micro on my .204?

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

Going back and forth with Griffin on this, maybe I can get some more information here, science stuff.

If you're not familiar with the Micro, it's a 22 can that can handle a mag dump of 5.56 or a slow diet up to 22-250 on the right barrel length.

It has 2 mounting variations. Short, with a direct thread adapter in place and almost no chamber. This is used for all rimfire plus 14.5" and longer 5.56 and 22 Hornet. Long uses a taper mount muzzle device and an adaptor from that device to the main body of the can. Website says you can do 12.5" 5.56, 16" 22 Nosler or 224 Valk (22 Hornet is listed here again as well for some reason), 20" 204 Ruger or 222 Rem Mag, 22" 22 Weatherby Mag and 22-250.

I have a 26" Savage .204 which would look weird with an AR style muzzle brake on its tapered barrel (and be even louder than it already is with the smallest available brake). .204 operates at either 57K or 62K, conflicting info on line. Griffin obviously sees the .223 and 5.56 as interchangeable regardless of the 7K pressure disparity between the two. I understand that a .204 operating at a theoretical 62K will have a higher muzzle pressure than a 5.56 operating at a confirmed 62K.

222 Rem mag is ballistically similar to a 223/5.56, yet they're requesting 7.5" more barrel on the 222 Rem Mag with a muzzle device.

I feel like there are some errors here on their page, or else I don't understand something and there's more to this than muzzle pressure. The 2 sperate conversations I've had with Griffin have amounted to "Not sure, what's the website say, depends on configuration". I'm also running a .204 bullet through a .244ish suppressor bore, further lowering how much pressure is being generated in the can, yes?

Ultimate question: If the can can withstand a 5.56 direct thread arrangement with a 14.5" barrel, can you all see any reason that I couldn't direct thread it to a 26" .204 rifle? If it matters, I use CFE223, so it's not like I'm using some weird ultra hot slow burning powder, it's literally AR-15 powder.
Proper grammar is awesome.
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can I use a Griffin Optimus Micro on my .204?

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

Griffin got back to me and gave me the safe answer, put a muzzle device on it...but...if I want to do direct thread it might damage the blast baffle and void my warranty. I'm gonna roll the dice, am I being dumb?
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can I use a Griffin Optimus Micro on my .204?

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

I found a worksheet where you enter barrel length, bore, cartridge volume and chamber pressure and it kicks out a muzzle pressure. Is it accurate? Dunno. Not sure what measurement (.11) they're using for cartridge volume either. If it's accurate, 5.56 from a 14.5" barrel is a little over 9000 PSI at the muzzle. .204 from a 26" barrel assuming 62K PSI chamber pressure and the same volume as the 5.56 (close enough, .204 probably has slightly more case volume) is showing ~6000 PSI muzzle pressure. Burning similar amounts of similar powder would mean I'll have much less blasting of the first baffle given 26" to burn, so I can't imagine that my .204 would be nearly as hard on a can as a 5.56 with an M4 barrel. I'm doing it.