SIMPLE GREEN

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

SIMPLE GREEN

Post by hbk80rice »

Does Simple Green take the Bluing off of parts? I want to clean my AR part/bolt and suppressor and heard it takes off the buling? is this true?

Or do I just need to delute it and at what ratio?

Thanks!
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I think simple green is ammonia based..the smallest amount will damage bluing..How bad depends on the the metal and the blueing used..I used to use 28% ammonia to remove copper fouling from my bench guns..Really really nasty stuff..But worked great..That would take the finish off in a heartbeat..(and displace your oxygen and knock ya out if your weren't careful)

I'd just use one of the gun oil/cleaners out there for those parts..
Ray Barnes
Silent But Deadly

Re: SIMPLE GREEN

Post by Ray Barnes »

hbk80rice wrote:Does Simple Green take the Bluing off of parts? I want to clean my AR part/bolt and suppressor and heard it takes off the buling? is this true?
Simple Green, due to its extreme alkalinity, ph 9, will strip the color out of anodize. Knowing this I do not use it in any gun cleaning situations.
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Post by hbk80rice »

So just use straight Kroil? in the unltrasounic cleaner? or delute it?
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I'm not sure what you could dilute Kroil with..I'd just start with dish soap and water..and dry everything good when your done..Little brass brushing in between and should be good to go..
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

Hmm, all I use to clean guns is simple green these days, But I get i 50 50 at least unless I have a really grimy something I know it won't hurt.

I had used everykind of petro chemical cleaner known to man previously, before I learned better just a few weeks of a too strong mix of simple green all the paint was eat off my gunk tank and a good start of eating thru it.

What I like is that it is a lot safer to your skin and lungs than the stuff I used to use, I will admit it doesn't clean quite as good but it's good enough for me.And I rinse it with water.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

I use either Dawn detergent in my ultra sonic or I add one cup of Carbon Cutter to the water.

It seems to work well.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
jeephipwr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jeephipwr »

I use it to clean my guns and it has never removed any bluing. Yes, it has a pH of 9 but that does not make it hazardous to metals.

Here is a link to the msds, for those interested and those needing night-time sleepy medicine

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/MSDS_EN ... er-Pad.pdf
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

I just ordered some of this to try:

http://www.slip2000.com/725.html
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Schlafftablett
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schlafftablett »

While I haven't allowed ammonia to sit on bluing for an extended period I do put it on new bluing on a regular baisis. Ammonia kills buling salts so after I blue a rifle, if after a day I see the salts blooming from between the barrel and receiver I pour on some ammonia, flush the area with water then dry and re-apply oil. I've never seen an issue with it. --ST
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Hmm..I probably just got the wrong warning as a kid about the stuff..I guess once your told to never let it touch the bluing you don't..
Still have half a gallon at my Pop's place..probably never mess with it again anyway though..
I do have lots of simple green though..love that stuff..though the green pro 409 is the best if you can still find it for general cleaning..
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

I've used simple green without diluting it to clean cosmo off of AK kits. I've used it on parkerized romy kits and blued yugo kits and never had any problems with it removing the finish.

Also it does a good job removing cosmo.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
jeephipwr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jeephipwr »

mpallett wrote:I just ordered some of this to try:

http://www.slip2000.com/725.html
After seeing you talk about this stuff, I think I am going to try it.
peterlem0njello
Silent But Deadly

Post by peterlem0njello »

let me know how it works cleaning a suppressor...

i tried Slip Cabron remover (the green stuff) and it didnt do anything
ASI828277

Re:

Post by ASI828277 »

jeephipwr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 am I use it to clean my guns and it has never removed any bluing. Yes, it has a pH of 9 but that does not make it hazardous to metals.

Here is a link to the msds, for those interested and those needing night-time sleepy medicine

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/MSDS_EN ... er-Pad.pdf
Informative