USPS won't honor insurance claim - advice sought

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Re: USPS won't honor insurance claim - advice sought

Post by TypeR632 »

That's great Silvers, but a lot of people can't afford a $2000 deductable.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

My point is that a $500 deductible is more expensive than a $2000 deductible if you average what you put out over some period of time. If you take the difference in the monthly payments and save it, you can build up a self-insurance fund.

Also, $4 Starbucks coffee daily is $120 a month. Bottled water is a waste of money. We save a lot from using coupons and shopping for what is on sale at the grocery store.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

silencertalk wrote:
WhisperFan wrote:Wish I was wealthy enough to absorb a loss of 1999.00 and not have it be "worth it" to argue :wink:
That is only part of the issue. Insurance is not free. Insurance makes a profit for the insurer. That means, odds are, it is a waste of money.

If the insurance for a $1000 part costs $10, and the odds of it getting lost are 1 in 100, then it is even odds. If the odds of it getting lost are 1 in 1000, then you just paid 10x more for the insurance than it is worth. I can't explain this to anyone who plays the lottery, as those people don't understand math, but I avoid insurance for things below a certain value. Likewise, I tend to have $2000 deductibles on cars - you can get all of the numbers and do the math on why that is a better deal.

^ This. The odds are always in the favor of the house. It counts in insurance and all other forms of gambling.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

USPS is billions in the hole because Congress mandated that we pre-fund retiree healthcare. Take that away and we would be doing fine. Google it... The sad thing is that I have never heard any news stories talk about it. We had two independent audits say that with out the prefunding requirement we would be in the black and not the red.

http://www.apwu.org/news/webart/2011/11 ... 110113.htm
“The financial problems facing the Postal Service were made significantly worse by a Bush-era mandate that the agency pre-fund nearly 80 percent of its future retiree health care obligations by 2016 at a crushing cost of $5.5 billion per year… No other agency or company in America is required to pre-fund such obligations at all, much less on such an accelerated schedule,” the organizations wrote.

Had it not been for these payments, the Postal Service would have experienced a $611 million profit over the past four years — despite the recent recession and competition from the Internet, the letter notes. The USPS experienced a deficit of $8.505 billion in Fiscal Year 2010, and anticipates a deficit of $6.4 billion in Fiscal Year 2011.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

Historian wrote:
Bargsbeer wrote:
bigdog2003_99 wrote:o god its a usps reunion in here lol

For the longest time I thought I was the only Postal worker who liked Silencers...lol
Are there still Postal Inspectors that, like IA, are called when there might be a problem set?
When Penthouse magazine first came out I found that my monthly subscription seemed
to arrive later than the news stand issue or not at all. Penthouse usually came way before and would
make up the issue as the problem seemed to be epidemic.

So,working for the world's largest ( at that time Mister HU ) bureaucracy, I located the Postal Inspectors.
Forthwith, miraculously, my editions thereafter arrived on time.
In particular, I mentioned in my complaint, I found it particularly objectionable, on the issues that
finally arrived, that the centerfold was rumpled. ( I considered Lysol spraying it before touching. :) )

Unfortunately the 99% dedicated folks get tar brushed by the few riffraff. [ I do have a more colorful
description but I trust that you can fill in. ]

Yes they are always around. They watch us like hawks, In the facility I work in there are well over 100 cameras. I have never seen anyone get arrested,But it does happen periodically.
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

TypeR632 wrote:I had a set of train horns stolen. USPS had the box but no horns. How in the hell do you lose a set of horns. My dad has opened mail in his mailbox all the time. It's someone in the USPS system. When the mailman runs he goes right out to the mailbox. So it can't be anyone in the neighborhood. I told him to report it, he's scared he won't get his mail if he does that. Everyone wonders why USPS is Billions in the hole, I wonder? I could tell you, but the NAACP would be after me.

NAACP has nothing to do with it. As much as you may want it to be, It's not a black thing.
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I think we can all agree that if we look hard enough at any job or profession we can find a bad apple. Clergy, Cops, Judges and Lawyers aren't immune. I would expect that the Post Office isn't either. But the bad apples we see, while they get most of the press, they are the exception - not the rule.

As far as the insurance thing is concerned - I am sometimes willing to overpay for something I want or need ..... but, if I pay the insurance (overpriced as it may be) and I have a claim that is not fraudulent .... I expect them to pay it!
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
tonygry

Post by tonygry »

If insurance is not purchased at the time of mailing, the United States Postal Service® is unable to honor any requests to be compensated for lost, missing, and/or damaged item(s). The following conditions justify the denial of a claim: No evidence of insurance coverage is provided. The mail does not bear the complete names and addresses of the mailer and addressee or is undeliverable as addressed to either the addressee or the mailer.visit usps