Bowers Vers 50?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

1mile50
Silent Operator

Bowers Vers 50?

Post by 1mile50 »

Anyone have experience with or hear this can? I have a 50 Beowulf upper that I plan to cut down and get threaded to mount on my SBR lower, after the F-1 is approved.
Some years back I developed a functioning Beowulf load that is sub sonic in a 14" barrel, but I didn't know of an off the shelf can for that caliber.
jurist
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bowers Vers 50?

Post by jurist »

try posting on subguns.com
TSI Consulting
GLOCK Certified Armorer
FFL/SOT
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Ive got one its pretty nice sounding can. The weight is not that bad like you would think it would be and mount system is solid and smooth. Ive just just 45LC through so far but I did load up some 460SW subs up last night that im going to try today hopefully, ill post again after i shoot them.
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

So I shot my 460SW sub loads yesterday they shot pretty damn good

I was using
Hornady brass trimmed to 1.790
Hornady 452dia 300gr XTP blems ($7 for 50 couldnt pass them up and this was 2yrs ago)
10gr IMR Trailboss
CCI 200
OAL 2.160

This load through the can sounded like a paintball gun with a really good tone and the 100yd gong when hit was louder than the gun going off lol
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
1mile50
Silent Operator

Post by 1mile50 »

Thanks Blake, I've got a Kodiak TL in the safe, a Leonidas in the works, and I just bought an Infiniti, but the Bowers Vers50 will likely be my 4th can.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

That sounds great youll love the Leo
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Bsmith918

Post by Bsmith918 »

I've been trying to get some info on the Bowers 50 too. I want to use it on an SBR'd 458 SOCOM and a 16" Beowulf. I assume it is a sealed can? Any idea on DB reduction? What are the baffles and tube made of? The cost of additional thread adapters? Is it rated for 50 BMG subs? Thanks!
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

NO on the BMG subs

It is a sealed can and it isnt Bowers says you can open it but he would prefer you not to thats what i mean by sealed

With 45LC in my 460SW encore it sounded a little loud but the 460 subs sounded like a big paintball gun or air hose disconnect

The versadapt are like $45 except for the Uzi mount is $150 and the can comes with one mount out the door
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
1mile50
Silent Operator

Post by 1mile50 »

Bsmith918 wrote:I've been trying to get some info on the Bowers 50 too. I want to use it on an SBR'd 458 SOCOM and a 16" Beowulf. I assume it is a sealed can? Any idea on DB reduction? What are the baffles and tube made of? The cost of additional thread adapters? Is it rated for 50 BMG subs? Thanks!
Do you load or do you know anyone that loads .50 BMG subs? Because I've been in .50 BMG for over 12 years, and I don't. The cartridge is just not conducive to reduced loads, let alone sub-sonic. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it wouldn't be an easy load to develop.

Not to mention a faster twist would likely be needed than the standard 1 in 15" Like my 1rst .50, a Klaus built State Arms with a 1 in 9.5". Hey, that gives me an idea. :mrgreen:
Bsmith918

Post by Bsmith918 »

1mile50 wrote:
Bsmith918 wrote:I've been trying to get some info on the Bowers 50 too. I want to use it on an SBR'd 458 SOCOM and a 16" Beowulf. I assume it is a sealed can? Any idea on DB reduction? What are the baffles and tube made of? The cost of additional thread adapters? Is it rated for 50 BMG subs? Thanks!
Do you load or do you know anyone that loads .50 BMG subs? Because I've been in .50 BMG for over 12 years, and I don't. The cartridge is just not conducive to reduced loads, let alone sub-sonic. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it wouldn't be an easy load to develop.

Not to mention a faster twist would likely be needed than the standard 1 in 15" Like my 1rst .50, a Klaus built State Arms with a 1 in 9.5". Hey, that gives me an idea. :mrgreen:
I do reload, but have not for the BMG. I got a chance to listen to a BMG at the SAL shoot that was supposedly running subs, but that's just what I was told. I'm not really planning on doing that at this time, just curious as to whether it would be an option down the road. I would mostly run this on an SBR'd 458 and Beowulf. I'm really leaning toward ordering one, but would really like to find out more information on this can. Thanks for letting me hijack the thread a little guys!
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Where are from Bsmith Im in SW Ft Worth
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Bsmith918

Post by Bsmith918 »

I'm in OKC, but travel down to the OK/TX border on a fairly regular basis.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Oh ok you said you went to the SAL shoot to I figured I would ask PM sent
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Sorry for bumping this older thread up, but it appears info on the Vers 50 is somewhat limited.

My intent is to get a Bowers Vers 50 so I can use it on a .45-70 lever gun. Looking at Bowers' info at subgun.org (page 7) they say that it is suitable for all calibers .510 and smaller up to 2200fps velocity.

My question is, with the proper adapters, would I be able to use this suppressor on a .308Win rifle with MV around 2700fps w/o damaging the suppressor? I'm new to suppressors, so I don't know if there is some voodoo I don't grasp yet, but I'd think there would be plenty of volume and strength to handle a .308 if the can is designed for full power .50 Beowulf, .50 Alaskan, .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom, .50 AE, 45/70 and .510 Beowulf. I do understand that sound reduction performance may be affected.

Thanks for any info or insight you can offer!
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Fulliautomatix wrote:Sorry for bumping this older thread up, but it appears info on the Vers 50 is somewhat limited.

My intent is to get a Bowers Vers 50 so I can use it on a .45-70 lever gun. Looking at Bowers' info at subgun.org (page 7) they say that it is suitable for all calibers .510 and smaller up to 2200fps velocity.

My question is, with the proper adapters, would I be able to use this suppressor on a .308Win rifle with MV around 2700fps w/o damaging the suppressor? I'm new to suppressors, so I don't know if there is some voodoo I don't grasp yet, but I'd think there would be plenty of volume and strength to handle a .308 if the can is designed for full power .50 Beowulf, .50 Alaskan, .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom, .50 AE, 45/70 and .510 Beowulf. I do understand that sound reduction performance may be affected.

Thanks for any info or insight you can offer!
His page says .510 and smaller and UP TO 2200fps, then why would you ask 2700 fps is ok? Seems he made it pretty clear.

Its not all about volume, its about pressures as well.

458SOCOM doesn't have THAT much pressure, recoil and blast wave is smaller than my 308.
1mile50
Silent Operator

Post by 1mile50 »

.50 Beowulf is not a high pressure round either. 33k psi max, it uses large pistol primers.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Bendersquint wrote: His page says .510 and smaller and UP TO 2200fps, then why would you ask 2700 fps is ok? Seems he made it pretty clear.
I mistakenly underestimated the pressure generated by a .308Win. I thought that pushing a 325gr round ~2000fps would be in the same neighborhood as pushing a 168gr round up to 2700fps.

On a separate but related topic, what are the requirements for a vendor to have a sub forum here? I find it curious that Bowers doesn't have one, but then I'm new here. :mrgreen:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Fulliautomatix wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: His page says .510 and smaller and UP TO 2200fps, then why would you ask 2700 fps is ok? Seems he made it pretty clear.
I mistakenly underestimated the pressure generated by a .308Win. I thought that pushing a 325gr round ~2000fps would be in the same neighborhood as pushing a 168gr round up to 2700fps.

On a separate but related topic, what are the requirements for a vendor to have a sub forum here? I find it curious that Bowers doesn't have one, but then I'm new here. :mrgreen:
Separate forum? Won't happen here.

Bowers isn't as big as you think he is, there are much much larger higher volume manufacturers that don't can't get forums.

Bowers isn't too popular on this forum either.
1mile50
Silent Operator

Post by 1mile50 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Fulliautomatix wrote:

Separate forum? Won't happen here.

Bowers isn't as big as you think he is, there are much much larger higher volume manufacturers that don't can't get forums.

Bowers isn't too popular on this forum either.
Popularity Contests aside, my 3 main concerns are:

(1) Is the Bowers Vers50 a quality product?
(2) Does it give good/reasonable suppression and have a good tone?
(3) Does Bowers stand behind their product? If I have an issue with my purchase, will I be left out in the weeds?

If the answer to those 3 concerns are Yes, Yes, Yes/No, the rest will take care of itself.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

1mile50 wrote: Popularity Contests aside, my 3 main concerns are:

(3) Does Bowers stand behind their product? If I have an issue with my purchase, will I be left out in the weeds?

If the answer to those 3 concerns are Yes, Yes, Yes/No, the rest will take care of itself.
1 - Supposedly it is, I do feel it is lacking because he so strongly discourages it from being taken apart when its designed that way in the first place.

2 - Reasonable suppression and decent tone.

3 - Tom does stand behind his product, if they did something wrong they will fix it. If there is a problem you caused(bad barrel or something not Bowers caused then they take care of it although it may cost you some greenbacks. If you are looking for a refund if you are not happy its not gonna happen, shoot one before you purchase. I don't know of a single company that warrants against buyers remorse.
1mile50
Silent Operator

Post by 1mile50 »

Bendersquint wrote:
1mile50 wrote: Popularity Contests aside, my 3 main concerns are:

1 - Supposedly it is, I do feel it is lacking because he so strongly discourages it from being taken apart when its designed that way in the first place.

2 - Reasonable suppression and decent tone.

3 - Tom does stand behind his product, if they did something wrong they will fix it. If there is a problem you caused(bad barrel or something not Bowers caused then they take care of it although it may cost you some greenbacks. If you are looking for a refund if you are not happy its not gonna happen, shoot one before you purchase. I don't know of a single company that warrants against buyers remorse.
Thanks. The only other can for .50 Beowulf I could find cost more than some .50 BMG cans. So the Bowers price, <$700, is a factor too. I will also be buying a .50BMG can in the near future at around the same time as the Beowulf can, but the Beowulf can doesn't warrant that kind of cost.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

You can take it apart. It is discouraged because more people screw stuff up by taking cans apart then by shooting them. That is why he will open, clean, replace worn parts (or upgrade) all for the cost of return shipping. Bowers stands behind everything they make 110%.
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

chili17 wrote:You can take it apart. It is discouraged because more people screw stuff up by taking cans apart then by shooting them. That is why he will open, clean, replace worn parts (or upgrade) all for the cost of return shipping. Bowers stands behind everything they make 110%.
BTW, I contacted them directly and they confirmed that the VERS 50 would be suitable for subsonic 7.62 loads, but not full loads. They responded to my email in under 30 minutes.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

chili17 wrote:You can take it apart. It is discouraged because more people screw stuff up by taking cans apart then by shooting them.
Do you have any proof of this? If you are just saying "if you can't take it apart you can't screw it up" then that goes without saying.

His cans would be difficult to screw up assembly on.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Bendersquint wrote: His cans would be difficult to screw up assembly on.
True. But in my case, I'm not sure how I would go about holding the can securely while I beat the baffles out of it, without scratching the crap out of my can. I've had it apart a couple of times when it was new... a decade or so ago.

Or, for the cost of return shipping I can send it in and let Tom mess with it. It comes back in under a week, and the only scratches are the ones I put on it a long time ago.

I've also got his little .223 can, which was discontinued 8 or 10 years ago. Which he will still service for the cost of return shipping.