Gun belts for open carry--2 reviews

Tactical gear.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Gun belts for open carry--2 reviews

Post by johndoe3 »

A new gunbelt I recently purchased is superb, so I thought I'd mention it here. I was in the market because I felt like I needed a thicker and stiffer gunbelt for open carry purposes, than the 1.5" Galco horsehide gunbelt that I was using.

Bigfoot Gun Belts has a new technology for gunbelts in that it has a steel core between 2 layers of high quality bridle leather. I ordered the 14 oz. with steel core version in brown (they make the same belt without a steel core, and also an extra heavy 18 oz version with steel core). The picture below shows what the steel core looks like.

http://gunbelts.com/

What I was impressed with is that the inside surface of the belt is finished with the same quality as the outside surface; and the steel core really helps to keep an open carry pancake holster tight against the body. Bigfoot gunbelts is a newish company in Northern Idaho, and the price for a top quality gunbelt with steel core is less than competitor's similar belt without steel core ($59.88 + shipping). Also, they bevel the edges smooth after putting the 2 layers of leather together--a nice touch. The thickness of the gunbelt is ~1/4" and it is 1.5" wide. Great belt that will last for decades.

I also like another gunbelt that I had purchased 6 months ago from Bullhide Belts in black. It's an excellent gunbelt, and Bullhide has an extensive catalog of various style belts. As it turns out, the Bullhide gunbelt is ~1/4" thick too but doesn't have the steel core like the one above from Bigfoot Gun Belts.

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html

Both the Bigfoot gunbelt with steel core and the Bullhide gunbelt work very well to hold a pancake holster close to the body with open carry; or conceal the same OWB holster with an untucked shirt or coat. However, I give the edge to the Bigfoot gunbelt with the steel core; and it is also better since the inner surface of the belt is finished the same as the outer surface of the belt.

Remember with gunbelts, that ordering the correct size is important so that when you use it that you're cinching the belt on the middle hole. That correct sizing will give you plenty of leeway if you later put on weight or lose weight--you'll still be able to use the belt. Buying a gunbelt that cinches on the middle hole also allows you to use it for an IWB holster--you'll just use one hole bigger when cinching the belt.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gun belts for open carry--2 reviews

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Thanks for the very timely post (Christmas)! I've been considering a new belt for two years now.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

I should have mentioned also, that both of these robust gunbelts solve the problem for OWB holsters of keeping it in close to the body and prevents printing when concealed; whereas IWB holsters can get by fine with lesser belts.

Also, both gunbelts mentioned wrap around the body easily. Some might think they would be stiff like wrapping heavy cardboard around the body, but they aren't. What they do well is prevent twisting type flexing. That capability holds the OWB holster in place without the overtight cinching that some people use when the belt is too thin and twists easily.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

http://www.koreessentials.com/x2-gun-buckle-belt/

I've been happy with mine. I CC a G19 in a Safariland 527, and it keeps everything where it is supposed to be.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.