AAC Titan QD on .308 rifle

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Drano

AAC Titan QD on .308 rifle

Post by Drano »

Here is an impression of the AAC Titan QD suppressor on a sub-caliber 308 rifle. Along with shooting the Titan QD, I also incorporated the following suppressors--Liberty Victory, AAC 762-SDN-6, and AAC MK13-SD.

I plan to do this test again with another sub-caliber (6.5 Creedmoor) and the caliber it was designed for, 338 Lapua. I might also try to incorporate a 338 Norma too.

I am not affiliated with any company.

This rifle platform was an out of the box unmodified Savage rifle.
A total of 25 rounds were expended on 5 targets. For the AAC Titan QD, it was the updated version--without the plug welds. No discernible difference between the previous version except with the visible appearance of the plug welds.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

100yds
87 F
Wind: 3-5 o’clock @ 3-5 knots
Elevation: 37’
Point of Aim: Center 'X'

Savage 10 .308 20” carbine, factory threaded. 175 SMK Match. 100% stock rifle with Leupold 6-18 VX-II.

Sound suppression: Satisfactory. I either would say ‘satisfactory’ or ‘unsatisfactory’. Since I do not have sound equipment, I do not think ranking it among the other suppressors I have shot, demoed, or tested is fair.

NOTE: These suppressors were available on this day and hope people would be interested. As for other suppressors to shoot, I am trying to get access to a Thunderbeast 30P-1 and 338 BA soon.

Overall: All were 5 shot groups. Where I marked a “1” next to the hole---that was my first round for that group.

First picture: Unsuppressed. 5 shot group.

Second picture: AAC Titan QD. 5 shot group.

Third picture: Liberty Victory. 5 shot group.

Fourth picture: AAC 762-SDN-6. 5 shot group.

Fifth picture: AAC MK13-SD. 5 shot group.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Titan QD on .308 rifle

Post by rimshaker »

Nice. Titan had the best grouping. If it were the direct thread Titan-Ti, would the POI shift be so large or even exist at all?
Drano

Post by Drano »

To answer your question: I do not know.....never shot the AAC Titan-Ti.......yet.

It is my understanding the Titan-Ti is just arriving at dealers threaded in 5/8x24. Other thread pitches are hopefully coming soon.

However, I will speculate on your question. You have to remember -- these results are from a .308 rifle with a light/medium barrel. Any weight, such as a suppressor, will usually cause the impact to shift. The important point......is to ensure it is still accurate, repeatable and predictable. If you utilize a heavier barrel or custom rifle, I am sure you will get different results and possibly less shift.

I do my very best to maintain a consistent rifle platform to produce these results. I am sure others can do a better job.
Hope this helps.
Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

It depends on the barrel and can vary depending on the ammo you are using.

We have a Sako TRG-42 338 LM that has a shift of 2cm DOWN at 100m. So all you do is dial up 0.2 mil.

On a Sako TRG-22 308, it has a shift of 9cm DOWN at 100m.

On an AI it was 2cm right and 3cm down at 100m.

All shifts are repeatable and consistent so it is not a big concern.