Coyote hunt with a suppressor?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Coyote hunt with a suppressor?

Post by Shamrock-MP »

I am getting push back from old-timers saying that suppressors are useless for Coyote hunting. I have no personal experience using a suppressor on Coyote but I cannot believe that there is no advantage.

Can anyone share an experience where a suppressor was beneficial while hunting Coyote?

I use "old-timers" to describe people who are so set in their ways they appear to resist or fear change. So, no offense intended. If you feel insulted because you think I'm calling you old, I will tell you what I tell my wife. "I don't know what you are talking about."
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
ThatQuietGun

Re: Coyote hunt with a suppressor?

Post by ThatQuietGun »

I've never hunted coyotes with a can but there is no reason being lould is better than being quiet, unless your trying to attract attention.
"I worked for a menials hire, only to find dismayed, that any wage I had asked of life, life would have willingly paid"
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Less felt recoil, less likely to flinch on the report, less flash, less noise, tighter groups, and a few more fps. All of these points are easily verifiable.

Why would the above be any different with coyotes? You'll still spook them, but that doesn't cancel out the other benefits.

Hoop's got some video of coyote shots.
http://hogrush.com/pictures-and-video.html

As for the "old-timers" comment, it's fitting to use it for folks that refuse to consider evidence in such cases (regardless of their age).
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Less felt recoil, less likely to flinch on the report, less flash, less noise, tighter groups, and a few more fps. All of these points are easily verifiable.
I don't think these were the "Advantages" the Op was speaking to in his post (Op please correct me if I'm wrong).

Most people mistakenly believe that a suppressor provides the hunter an "advantage" over the animals he hunts due to the device muffling the sound of the weapon being fired.

This has not been my experience.

All animals (in my experience) will react to the sound of a suppressed fiream being fired (whether or not I'm using subsonic ammo).

Any advantage the suppressor brings to the hunt will be those identified by Libetarian Geek in his post.

The most significant benefit being reduced muzzle blast reducing wear and tear on my ears,

A secondary benefit for the Coyote hunter is that the reduced muzzle blast will not "spoil" your stand to the point that follow on dogs wont respond.

A tertiary benefit (reference reduced muzzle blast) will be that you will immediately know whether or not you have connected with the animal as the smack of the bullet connecting with the animal will be (at times, depending on the distance from the shooter to the animal) louder than the report of the rifle.

Gratuitous Suppressed Coyote pics:

Remington Model 700 220 Swift W/AACM42K

Mossberg MVP Predator W/AACM42K

24 inch barreled Mossberg MVP W/M42K

Gratuitous pic of "Old Time" Coyote Hunter:
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

@ATC... Yep. We need to dispel that myth.

I knew what he was getting at, I just didn't emphasize it. 2 Points that always need to be out there when talking to Fudds about cans.
1> It still spooks the animals because it's always louder than a bow.
2> There are many advantages still that aren't an advantage over the animal.
ds762
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ds762 »

as far as spooking game ..

last year I nailed a doe with my 300 WTF .. got down out of the stand and was walking towards my downed doe and along comes another doe walking in the same direction as #1 and I nailed her too. Shots were less than 5 min apart

a couple years ago I shot a doe which ran over a hillside and out of sight. I get down and go look for her, crest the hill where she went and my deer was lying dead .. a couple does that had apparently been bedded down for some time jumped up and took off. Only 1 of the 2 made it out alive!

my experiance is that it can spook game but more often than not the noise is negligible and any "spook" is dramatically decreased and allows for more/quicker follow up shots.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

ds762 wrote:as far as spooking game ..

last year I nailed a doe with my 300 WTF .. got down out of the stand and was walking towards my downed doe and along comes another doe walking in the same direction as #1 and I nailed her too. Shots were less than 5 min apart

a couple years ago I shot a doe which ran over a hillside and out of sight. I get down and go look for her, crest the hill where she went and my deer was lying dead .. a couple does that had apparently been bedded down for some time jumped up and took off. Only 1 of the 2 made it out alive!

my experiance is that it can spook game but more often than not the noise is negligible and any "spook" is dramatically decreased and allows for more/quicker follow up shots.
Spooking game is one thing. How they act when spooked is another. Note how deer act around moving cars (irrational)? Their "flight" response is engrained as a response for being chased, it's not adapted for being shot at or how to act around automobile traffic.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

We actually didn't spook game with my unsuppressed 270 WSM this past deer season.....I shot a hog then walked over and looked at him and took some pics. While talking and walking we continued on to the deer stand we were walking to to spray for wasps. When we rounded the corner we looked up and there was an 8 pt whitetail and a doe standing about 30 yards away. My friend then took a shot at the doe, missed and shot again to cripple it and knock it down. After walking up to the doe and putting our last round in her head to finish her off we looked up and saw another deer about 50 or so yards away. All this was done without a can. So, I guess sometimes it doesn't matter how much noise you make with gunfire.....if the animal doesn't feel threatened then maybe they just assume the bang was thunder and continues on about their day.

I wish our coyotes down here were pretty like y'alls are.....ours all seem to have the mange and look nasty. We usually just shoot em when we see em and let the birds eat up. Too ugly to want to even touch.....much less skin em out and tan the hides.
I've gotta stop this habit.
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

Here's 2h and 44m of our Predator Hunting: SUPPRESSED series.

Newest videos will begin playing right after the intro. The newer ones are vastly superior to what we did 12-18 months ago and we're only getting better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFZovRz ... s-xOUM6nEa
Hurdle the dead, Trample the weak, and let the good times roll.
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

Old Timers are tuff to change... we killed over 150 coyotes last year, with a lot of doubles, triples, quads, and even a quint, all Suppressed!
Respect is earned through strength, weakness invites aggression.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Here's one I took a couple of weeks ago with the worst case of mange I have ever seen in 20 years of calling coyotes:

Savage Model 11 in 204 Ruger suppressed with GEMTECH TREK titanium suppressor.

The side your looking at is the entrance wound. Nosler 32 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silver tip at 4200 FPS pushed the gore out the entrance wound.

I have no idea if there was an exit wound as I was not about to touch her to flip her over and find out.

I can only imagine the misery this animal was in prior to her being dispatched.

She's past hurting now but who knows how many horny dogs she passed that s--t onto.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

ATCDoktor wrote:Here's one I took a couple of weeks ago with the worst case of mange I have ever seen in 20 years of calling coyotes:

Savage Model 11 in 204 Ruger suppressed with GEMTECH TREK titanium suppressor.

The side your looking at is the entrance wound. Nosler 32 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silver tip at 4200 FPS pushed the gore out the entrance wound.

I have no idea if there was an exit wound as I was not about to touch her to flip her over and find out.

I can only imagine the misery this animal was in prior to her being dispatched.

She's past hurting now but who knows how many horny dogs she passed that s--t onto.

That's a chupacabra, not a coyote! :lol:
I've gotta stop this habit.
NoHair
Silent But Deadly

Post by NoHair »

That is one UGLY dog!!!!! :D

Here is a video of a few dogs coming in between me and my house - usually they come in futher out, I had to spin around 180' -, I had to wait till I had a good backstop to take the shot @92 yards.
You are looking through a NightForce @5.5 with a PVS14 behind it, with my Iphone behind that, Mounted to a Larue 18" OBR 7.62 with an AAC 7.62SD on it, Shooting a 178gn Amax, on a Manfroto tripod. The IR laser is mounted to the OBR, I am standing next to the whole setup with another 14 on a helmet, just put the laser on and pull the trigger. :mrgreen:

Yes, cans are needed so the neighbors don't get annoyed when shooting in the dark. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRKhJyZMGC4

too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

Post by too_many_hobbies »

I shot this one a little far back and it ran toward me before it expired. What the animal hears is the reflection of the sound, which confuses it to the source of the sound.

I have shot the second coyote in a pair before because the other ran toward me after I shot the first one.
"When it comes to hunting, I had rather have luck than skill any day."
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:Spooking game is one thing. How they act when spooked is another. Note how deer act around moving cars (irrational)? Their "flight" response is engrained as a response for being chased, it's not adapted for being shot at or how to act around automobile traffic.
Good points.
I've noticed that predators freak out when something unplanned happens.
Deer are hardwired to perceive certain threats, but not quickly adapt to new types. If they hear something that sounds like sliding rocks, breaking twigs, or see something rush toward them; they run away.

With suppressed bullets, they can't ID a threat. So they are more likely to freeze, than risk running toward an unseen threat.

Same concept as Deer Whistles attached to car bumper. The high frequency whine isn't something that they are used to. So, they will poke their head up and look for the source.
I've seen this many times driving down rural highways.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

NoHair wrote:That is one UGLY dog!!!!! :D

Here is a video of a few dogs coming in between me and my house - usually they come in futher out, I had to spin around 180' -, I had to wait till I had a good backstop to take the shot @92 yards.
You are looking through a NightForce @5.5 with a PVS14 behind it, with my Iphone behind that, Mounted to a Larue 18" OBR 7.62 with an AAC 7.62SD on it, Shooting a 178gn Amax, on a Manfroto tripod. The IR laser is mounted to the OBR, I am standing next to the whole setup with another 14 on a helmet, just put the laser on and pull the trigger. :mrgreen:

Yes, cans are needed so the neighbors don't get annoyed when shooting in the dark. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRKhJyZMGC4

Your kit is awesome!
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

The people that are against cans are usually too cheap to buy one or live in a state where they are illegal.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Post by Michael Black 47 »

Kramer wrote:The people that are against cans are usually too cheap to buy one or live in a state where they are illegal.
sorry for the pun but "killing them with kindness" and work towards turning there state green on the map and changing there mind. In the mine time rub it in there face. Always wanted the chances to go coyote hunting but I don't think we have much of them here in PA.
withoutremorse42
Silent But Deadly

Post by withoutremorse42 »

Wolf hunting suppressed was a wild experience. Once I pegged one, half the pack bolted and half milled around giving me enough time for another shot
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
Siarila

Post by Siarila »

When I was 20, I thought I needed only skills and intuition. But then I received as a gift for AR 15 Coyote Hunting. Then he studied RightHunting on other such useful things for hunting. And now I hunt with suppressor. I agree that predators freak out when something unplanned happens.
RoyBWalko

Post by RoyBWalko »

Hunting with a suppressor is always a good idea. It helps you to protect the hearing of you and those around you, it also lets you stay fully alert to all of the sounds around you.