what states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Don't want to see anyone in Montana get in trouble with the fish cops:

The only reference to "silencer" in the FWP hunting regulations: "The possession of firearms with silencers while afield is illegal."

From what I understand, shooting "non-game" animals with suppressors in Montana is legal, but I couldn't find that in the FWP manual.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Blaubart wrote:Don't want to see anyone in Montana get in trouble with the fish cops:

The only reference to "silencer" in the FWP hunting regulations: "The possession of firearms with silencers while afield is illegal."

From what I understand, shooting "non-game" animals with suppressors in Montana is legal, but I couldn't find that in the FWP manual.
It's not in the manual, and I had to get that info directly from the warden. He would not put it in writing for me. If you could get it in writing I'd really appreciate a copy.

He said night vision and silencers were legal for all "Non-game species". That what he said.

If you have a silencer on you while hunting deer or game species you're asking for trouble.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
dlenardu

Post by dlenardu »

As far as I can tell it is legal in Tn. NO MG or SBR but silencers are ok.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/huntweapons.html
lobster

silencer hunting

Post by lobster »

I have looked over the regs here in Nevada and could find no mention for or against it. I will need to call fish and wild life to be sure.
lobster
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Legal in Pennsylvania

Post by mg81 »

The Pennsylvania hunting regulations book does not list any info on the use of suppressors.

I called the game commission headquarters in Harrisburg and was quickly told, without any hesitation that the use of silencers is not addressed in the game laws and so it is perfectly legal to use a silenced weapon as long as the gun the silencer is attached to is a legal firearm to use hunting.

I was encouraged to carry a copy of my ATF registration form with me.

My personal experience with white tail hunting using a integral suppressed SRT 44mag rifle is that deer(jumpy by nature) can and often do dodge their head before a subsonic round will connect. This is on shots at/over 100 yards, at 50 yards and less they have never gotten their heads out of the way in time. I am sure someone much better with numbers than me can tell me how much time a deer has to move it's head between hearing the shot and the bullet hitting at 100 yards with a 240gr. XTP launched at 1030-1050fps.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Must have been a coencidence that it moved it's head because the bullet should have got there almost the same time as any sound. With that bullet a body shot seems perfectly reasonable.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
bushmasterar15

Post by bushmasterar15 »

Does anyone know about Arizona. I tried to look in the AZGFD regs. but didn't see anything so I might have missed it.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

(post deleted)
Last edited by 700PSS on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Alabama

Post by TROOPER »

mizzu wrote:Silencers or Night vision are Illegal in Alabama. There goes my coyote night massacre I was planning :cry:
Don't give up hope. Is it possible that silencers and night vision are only illegal on game animals? And are coyote considered to be game animal?
I read that it's douche to list your guns here, so I stopped that.
bushmasterar15

Post by bushmasterar15 »

So since Arizona allows ownership does it allow hunting with? I'm going to try to go down to the Game and Fish Department.
700PSS wrote:
bart wrote:Image
boatbiologist
Elite Member

Post by boatbiologist »

There is no mention of silencers/ supressors or short barrels in Maryland DNR hunting rules.

Semi auto is fine but No full auto and no more than 8 cartridges loaded per mag. Deer/ Bear require 1200 ft/lbs muzzle energy rifles and 700 ft/lbs handguns.

So you can put some green lines over Maryland.
rth1800

Post by rth1800 »

If anyone is updating the map, Kansas allows ownership since 01/07/08. From what I can find out, the general feeling is that hunting is not legal. I cannot find where it is in the regs.
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

I haven't been able to find anything saying either way for Idaho, does anyone know?
Thanks
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

As a general rule/precedence when it comes to laws, if there is not a law that specifically forbids something, it is by default considered legal. Notice in the previous posts that many have verified that to be the case in their own state. Always verify the case for your specific situation in your own state or wherever you may possess/use your suppressor before running into trouble. For example, some states have not considered hunting with silencers and thus, may not have even mentioned it in their hunting regs. Other states may have some antiquated law on the books from the 1930’s forbidding the use of silencers while hunting some or all species. Georgia, is one such state.

On the other hand, I guess Georgia didn’t think about semi-auto rifle magazine capacity. Therefore, while I cannot reduce the level of audible disturbance in the area (bad), I can use a high capacity magazine while hunting. Do I need more than a 5 rd magazine? Usually not for hunting, but I don’t mind having it either, considering some of the locals I’ve run into while hunting make you think of characters in movies such as “Wrong Turnâ€
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Davo5o wrote:It's not in the manual, and I had to get that info directly from the warden. He would not put it in writing for me. If you could get it in writing I'd really appreciate a copy.
http://fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=32378

Search for "Silencer". It's on page 18.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Re: Alabama

Post by Doink67 »

mizzu wrote:Silencers or Night vision are Illegal in Alabama. There goes my coyote night massacre I was planning :cry:
red headlamps work really well for not scaring animals at night
[quote="Blaubart"]I'd love to screw with a boss like yours Steve.[/quote]
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Blaubart wrote:
Davo5o wrote:It's not in the manual, and I had to get that info directly from the warden. He would not put it in writing for me. If you could get it in writing I'd really appreciate a copy.
http://fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=32378

Search for "Silencer". It's on page 18.
I know. "The possession of firearms with silencers while afield is illegal."

The term, "afield" means hunting game animals supposedly. Non-game animals are not protected this way.

Again, the warden would not give me that in writing? WTF?
dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dcmdon »

Its illegal in CT.

Amazingly that law is not listed in the state hunting and fishing guide. I had to call our DEP. They gave me the statute number.

The conservation officer had mixed feelings about legalizing them. He thought it would help with noise complaints. (CT is NOT montana).

But he was concerned that it would give poachers an advantage. I'm sure these are typical concerns.

Its too bad. I've got someone who owns 25 acres who will let me bow hunt their land, but not firearms hunt. They were open to the use of a suppressor.

Don
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Poachers can build a cheap 22 can out of PVC and shoot deer in the head all day long with 22lr subs. If people are going to poach, they're going to do it anyway. It's my goddamn constitutional right to better heath, ie not being deaf from a full powered deer rifle. Some how this point needs to be made. I'd love to see the hunting laws changed for the better hear in MT and everywhere.
xdeano
Silent But Deadly

Post by xdeano »

At this time, the following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, and WY.
This list needs to be revised. North Dakota isn't on the list. We can own and hunt any legal game with suppressors here.

It should look like this:
At this time, the following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, and WY.

xdeano
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Go to GO

Post by BriggsRi »

So far I have not seen New Mexico represented here!

Called the Game & Fish Office here in Albuquerque, NM and talked to “Russâ€
ironhrse44

hunting with suppresor

Post by ironhrse44 »

Not sure I understand all I know about that! Its already illegal to be a poacher. If ure a legal hunter and have ure paperwork for a can what can the harm be?
dcmdon wrote:Its illegal in Ct

Amazingly that law is not listed in the state hunting and fishing guide. I had to call our DEP. They gave me the statute number.

The conservation officer had mixed feelings about legalizing them. He thought it would help with noise complaints. (CT is NOT montana).

But he was concerned that it would give poachers an advantage. I'm sure these are typical concerns.

Its too bad. I've got someone who owns 25 acres who will let me bow hunt their land, but not firearms hunt. They were open to the use of a suppressor.

Don
ironhrse44

hunting with suppresor

Post by ironhrse44 »

Not sure I understand all I know about that! Its already illegal to be a poacher. If ure a legal hunter and have ure paperwork for a can what can the harm be?
dcmdon wrote:Its illegal in Ct

Don
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

withoutremorse42 wrote:Alaska is legal for suppressors, but you cannot duck hunt with mortars. Don't tread on me and my hunting, Fish and Game! asshats.
and I thought the duck hunting with a machine gun earlier sounded like a bad idea :P
22silencer
Silent Operator

Kentucky???

Post by 22silencer »

I see where a couple of guys say it is good to go. Does anyone have link or KRS statue info that I could look up. I asked the local Fish & Wildlife Officer and got a "No" and paranoid looks. Would like to know for sure. Thanks.

I did some searching but could not find specifics.