Brazing onto a shotgun barrel

JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Brazing onto a shotgun barrel

Post by JacksonBrowne »

Anyone ever tried to braze something on (such as a vent rib) before? It seems like the lowest temp method would be best to try and not ruin the barrel's heat treating. Any experience or suggestions for reading material are appreciated. I am really trying to decide if I can get away with it, or if I will be forced to use silver brazing (silver solder).
Last edited by JacksonBrowne on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
07/02 SOT
woodstove
Silent Operator

Re: Brazing 'things' onto a barrel

Post by woodstove »

Might I recomend using a Polychoke rib.These are held on with a flexable wonder adheasive. I've don a few in my time and they arelight and work well. Never had one come off. They are not as nice a a simmons but alot cheaper and you don't have to revlue the barrel and receiver.
Simmons and it's licenced installers use to silver braze their rib posts on plain barrels and then mill the posts to the proper height to slide the flat part of the rib on.

My $.02
If at first you don't succeed, RELOAD!!
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Re: Brazing onto a shotgun barrel

Post by JacksonBrowne »

Sorry, should have been clearer. It is for a new F1 project, not for a rib. Therefore I'll need the solidity and strength of at least silver solder. Thanks for the info, though; I didn't know there was an adhesive strong enough to work for that application.
07/02 SOT
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

JacksonBrowne wrote:Anyone ever tried to braze something on (such as a vent rib) before? It seems like the lowest temp method would be best to try and not ruin the barrel's heat treating. Any experience or suggestions for reading material are appreciated. I am really trying to decide if I can get away with it, or if I will be forced to use silver brazing (silver solder).

Silver braze will be fine if you have a decent amount of surface area. I brazed my barrel lug back in place when shortening my shotgun barrel.

Branded for life, in more ways than one
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

You just saved me a tremendous amount of time. Thank you very much.
07/02 SOT
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

Happy blasting!
shawn_40312

Post by shawn_40312 »

Looks like good quality work, you wouldnt happen to do this or know any good gunsmiths that could do this for me?
AAC Branded For Life member
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

shawn_40312 wrote:Looks like good quality work, you wouldnt happen to do this or know any good gunsmiths that could do this for me?

I don't know of anyone to suggest.
If you were near by I could fix you up. It's not really a hard job and any decent gunsmith or toolmaker should be able to help you out.
DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho »

I have seen quality SxS shotguns and the manufacturers used lead to join the barrels etc since that type of soldering is over a large area and quite strong, I have never seen one fail, problem with Silver Soldering is it is almost permanent and cannot be adjusted or modified with ease, I asked this question of a Gun Maker for Holland & Holland and that was the answer.