Loading for integrally suppressed Sterling Mk5

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Wesada

Loading for integrally suppressed Sterling Mk5

Post by Wesada »

I have an original Sterling Mk5 that I'm having a bit of trouble with locking on the sear with factory ammo. Most of the time it works fine but on semi I will occasionally get a double because the bolt doesn't catch the sear, and I'm looking to avoid this. With really weak ammo like Winchester white box I've occasionally had it run away and dump half the mag.

I think it's well acknowledged that most American-made factory ammo is pretty anemic compared to European specs and I know that the Sterlings were designed to run some pretty hot stuff with the Mark 2Z load (I've been reading 1280 fps with a 115gr, at 80 feet!!).

I don't think I need to run my gun that hot but maybe if someone out there has a good reliable hand load to use for this gun they can share it. I've tried looking up 9mm +P load data because the British Mk2Z is more like +P+++ but it seems people are paranoid about liability and don't like to talk about it. I've seen a lot of heavy loads for IPSC but most annoyingly, those folks never seem to give the actual velocity and always just quote the power factor.

The other consideration is how dirty the powder burns due to the ported barrel and given the construction of the can I'd like to keep it as clean as possible, so I'm thinking of using VV powders like maybe N320. Cost isn't an issue here as I'd prefer to be the gentlest on the gun as possible to prolong it's lifespan. Mk5 parts aren't exactly readily available.

Any help here would be appreciated thanks!
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Loading for integrally suppressed Sterling Mk5

Post by poikilotrm »

Does it have to be a hand load? Geco factory loads would most likely be perfect.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Wesada

Re: Loading for integrally suppressed Sterling Mk5

Post by Wesada »

poikilotrm wrote:Does it have to be a hand load? Geco factory loads would most likely be perfect.
I can't find Geco where I am so load data would be preferable.