Suppressor for Diana Mod 470 TH

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

arlen

Suppressor for Diana Mod 470 TH

Post by arlen »

I have a Diana Mod 470 TH .177 and would like to have recommendations for a suppressor for this rifle. It is a springer with velocity of 1120 fps.
Regards,
arlen

======================================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort to chew through the leather straps
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressor for Diana Mod 470 TH

Post by a_canadian »

A suppressor on a spring-piston air rifle is not going to have dramatic sound reduction effect. Some, sure, but the drop in blast noise will be in the range between nothing at all and at most about 25%. Useful, just not likely to get quiet with a muzzle velocity like that. That's a high performance springer and the action noise is a huge component of the overall noise. The muzzle blast is moderately controllable... just saying don't get your hopes up.

Besides that, it's an underlever, correct? Which means there's a custom cap up front which acts as the retaining clip for the cocking lever, while also making a place for the front sight to sit. Adding a suppressor to that chunk of plastic or metal is going to be awkward. Unless you're willing and able to amputate the sight post portion, leaving some half inch or more of the barrel exposed. Threads would also be very helpful, properly cut so they're concentric to the bore. If a suppressor isn't perfectly aligned, clipping a baffle or two with the pellet will throw your accuracy out the window.

All that said, TKO makes very compact and light weight cans for airguns and they're surprisingly effective for their size. I've heard a painfully loud PCP rifle dropped to such a low report that a neighbour in the city would be unlikely to notice repeated firings. Don't know what form of baffles they use, but the things work well and they're cheap.
http://tko22.com/
arlen

Post by arlen »

Yep it is a fixed barrel with an underlever. It does not have a fixed sight but is made for a scope. However the front end of the barrel has what i think is a compensator of some sort. It is about 3 inches long with quite a bit of a conical shape until about an inch from the muzzle, at which point it becomes cylindrical (about 1" dia.). That might present a problem to me.

I am aware that most of the noise is from the action and since I am positioned behind the action as I shoot, I am not really sure of how much noise is emitted from the business end of the rifle.
Regards,
arlen

Some days, it's just not worth the effort to chew through the leather straps
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

In the UK there are a number of slip-on suppressors available for situations like what you describe, with various inside diameters such that you can find one, or at least one with tubular shim(s), which will slide over such a compensator fairly snug and then be secured with a grub screw or three. With a manufacturer like Diana I'd expect fairly high precision of alignment between that device and the barrel. But ideally it'd be better to get it off and mount the device directly on the barrel. TKO makes a couple of diameters for such a fit as well, though their more popular models are threaded on it seems.

Most any of the .22lr baffle designs you can find in these forums are useful for airguns. Even a simple washer and spacer type with fixed end caps can do quite a bit of noise reduction work. You might want to play around with some hardware store stuff and cook something up yourself. Hardest part is finding an adapter which slides over the compensator neatly, then fitting that adapter piece into a usable tube. Carbon fiber tubes are great for preventing too much weight dragging the barrel down a bit and throwing off your POI. Assembly with JB Weld is fine for most airgun stuff as the baffles never need cleaning.