Mounting an AAC can on an SLR104 or SGL31 5.45MM AK74?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

leid

Mounting an AAC can on an SLR104 or SGL31 5.45MM AK74?

Post by leid »

Howdy guys,
I am working out the details on mounting an AAC 5.56MM or 7.62MM can on a SLR104 or SGL31 5.45MM AK74. I already have the cans and several different thread AAC mounts. Anybody here actually done it? If so, your words of wisdom would be very much appreciated. So far, a 24x1.5MM RH to 1/2x28 adapter with the AAC can mount on the end looks like the way to go. The big question at this point is which adapter is best suited for this application: U.S. Machine, Griffin, CNC Warrior, Silencer HQ, TROS, etc.? No worries, I always check concentricity with the bore with an alignment dowel before pulling the trigger for the first time.
TIA!
NRA Life Member/GOA Member
U.S. Law Shield
AAC: M4-2000 & 7.62-SD
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mounting an AAC can on an SLR104 or SGL31 5.45MM AK74?

Post by fishman »

leid wrote:Howdy guys,
I am working out the details on mounting an AAC 5.56MM or 7.62MM can on a SLR104 or SGL31 5.45MM AK74. I already have the cans and several different thread AAC mounts. Anybody here actually done it? If so, your words of wisdom would be very much appreciated. So far, a 24x1.5MM RH to 1/2x28 adapter with the AAC can mount on the end looks like the way to go. The big question at this point is which adapter is best suited for this application: U.S. Machine, Griffin, CNC Warrior, Silencer HQ, TROS, etc.? No worries, I always check concentricity with the bore with an alignment dowel before pulling the trigger for the first time.
TIA!
If it were my ak, id have the barrel rethreaded
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
leid

Post by leid »

fishman wrote:
leid wrote:Howdy guys,
TIA!
If it were my ak, id have the barrel rethreaded
The old rule-of-thumb was "Don't waste your time even trying to suppress an AK". That has changed, at least somewhat. At this point, I want to use a thread adapter just to verify proof of concept and personally see just how the AK74 rifle shoots & feels suppressed. And I absolutely agree with you, threading the barrel 1/2x28 for the mount is simple enough and is the most precise/durable method. That eliminates all the sloppy factory AK thread problems/tolerance stacking with an adapter. I am just not at that point yet and just maybe I won't have to go there at all. So far, I have talked to guys who suppressed their AKs using the Griffin and the CNC Warrior M24x1.5 RH adapters. They have not fired many rounds suppressed yet but they had no major issues with alignment.
U.S. Law Shield
ryanr256

Post by ryanr256 »

I have an SLR104-51 that I SBR'd and suppressed.

When I cut the barrel, I left about 1/8 of an inch of the barrel sticking out past the FSB. I did that in case I had an issue.

I had no issues with the cutting/crowning of the barrel. :) As time went by I decided to try to suppress the SBR (2 stamps)

I bought an AAC 556-SD and this Griffin adapter:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/24mm-Su ... 24mmta.htm

When the adapter arrived I did every check in the book to ensure it was concentric. It was. Evidently that little bit of barrel was enough for the adapter to index on.

When the can was approved a year later, I did the same checks. Everything checked out OK. I've Rocksett'd the adapter to the FSB and the Blackout flash hider to the adapter. The can locks up tight and I've put about 200 rounds through it without issue.

Since everything is secured by Rocksett, I only shoot non-corrosive 5.45x39.

I will say that because of the suppresor you get a lot of gas back in your face when you shoot the rifle. For me, it's a minor annoyance but others may have an issue.

-Bob
leid

Post by leid »

ryanr256 wrote:I have an SLR104-51 that I SBR'd and suppressed.

When I cut the barrel, I left about 1/8 of an inch of the barrel sticking out past the FSB. I did that in case I had an issue.

I had no issues with the cutting/crowning of the barrel. :) As time went by I decided to try to suppress the SBR (2 stamps)

I bought an AAC 556-SD and this Griffin adapter:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/24mm-Su ... 24mmta.htm

When the adapter arrived I did every check in the book to ensure it was concentric. It was. Evidently that little bit of barrel was enough for the adapter to index on.

When the can was approved a year later, I did the same checks. Everything checked out OK. I've Rocksett'd the adapter to the FSB and the Blackout flash hider to the adapter. The can locks up tight and I've put about 200 rounds through it without issue.

Since everything is secured by Rocksett, I only shoot non-corrosive 5.45x39.

I will say that because of the suppresor you get a lot of gas back in your face when you shoot the rifle. For me, it's a minor annoyance but others may have an issue.

-Bob
I should have updated this thread long ago. The Griffin adapter worked fine on the full sized SLR104FR. Will pick up another Griffin adapter for the SLR104UR SBR. Appreciate it Bob.
U.S. Law Shield