cartrage, bore, barrel length supression levels.

Ammunition Discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

johnmventes398

cartrage, bore, barrel length supression levels.

Post by johnmventes398 »

i think instict tells me the answer to this but, i would like it in a more tequnical explanation.

so am i right in thinking that the smaller the powder volume the longer the barrel and the larger the moderator the lower the output in DB?

the reason i ask is because i am gunning for a new hunting rifle build.
the considerations:
must shoot
minimum of 100gr bullet
minimum velocity of 2400fps
and min energy of 1700 foot pounds.

i currently shoot 243 win which for all practical purposes is the minimum legal caliber for red deer when considering the above legal requirements.

would switching to something like the 6.5 lapua with its larger bore volume and smaller case capacity produce less sound than the 243 with the same can and same length barrel?

thanks

john
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: cartrage, bore, barrel length supression levels.

Post by fishman »

switching to something like the 6.5 lapua with its larger bore volume and smaller case capacity produce less sound than the 243 with the same can and same length barrel
Generally, yes. However, a larger diameter bullet going the same speed makes more noise traveling through the air. Your supersonic crack will be slightly louder. My 450 bushmaster makes a very loud crack, while the muzzle blast is very tame with a silencer.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
johnmventes398

Re: cartrage, bore, barrel length supression levels.

Post by johnmventes398 »

fishman wrote:
switching to something like the 6.5 lapua with its larger bore volume and smaller case capacity produce less sound than the 243 with the same can and same length barrel
Generally, yes. However, a larger diameter bullet going the same speed makes more noise traveling through the air. Your supersonic crack will be slightly louder. My 450 bushmaster makes a very loud crack, while the muzzle blast is very tame with a silencer.

thanks. i had not considered the larger bullet giving a louder crack.