UGH! Trying to indicate a barrell

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

UGH! Trying to indicate a barrell

Post by mr fixit »

I've got 3 form 1's, all will be Ruger Standard (pre-mark 1) 'integrals'. Not true integral since the barrel won't be ported. But the tube will mimic the look of a bull barrel.

Anyway, I'm mounting the receiver and barrel in a Viper fixture so I can thread the barrel. I keep fighting myself mixing up inboard and outboard screws while adjusting.

Just taking a break and having a cup of coffee while I get my mind right. Thought I'd share my frustration.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: UGH! Trying to indicate a barrell

Post by Capt. Link. »

mr fixit wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:05 pm
Not true integral since the barrel won't be ported. But the tube will mimic the look of a bull barrel.

Anyway, I'm mounting the receiver and barrel in a Viper fixture so I can thread the barrel. I keep fighting myself mixing up inboard and outboard screws while adjusting.

Just taking a break and having a cup of coffee while I get my mind right. Thought I'd share my frustration.
Centering and axial alignment is more fun with three supports. :mrgreen:

I don't think porting is required to be a integral.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

I got it dialed in.
I am amazed at the lack of concentricity of the bore to the exterior or the barrel.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

mr fixit wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:32 pm I got it dialed in.
I am amazed at the lack of concentricity of the bore to the exterior or the barrel.
Well what did you do. For a integral turning barrel on center is a option.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Capt. Link. wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:18 am
mr fixit wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:32 pm I got it dialed in.
Well what did you do. For a integral turning barrel on center is a option.
Oh I indicated off the bore not the exterior of the barrel. Got it dialed finally after a cup of coffee and some fresh thought. Just crowning and threading the barrel.
kmitchl

Post by kmitchl »

I used to struggle with indicating things in the four jaw. Abom79 on YouTube helped me figure it out. His formula is slack off the lows and take up on the highs. When your indicator goes counter clockwise you are at a low. Likewise, clockwise is a high.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Use two chuck keys opposite each other, loosing one and tightening other .... in horizontal position
while reading dial so DTI reads ½ distance.

Rotate 4-jaw 90º and do same. Perform same ritual for the 2 jaws,

Repeat a few times.

The key is to use two chuck keys. Using only one is doomed to frustration.