Blast chamber included?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Enigma88

Blast chamber included?

Post by Enigma88 »

I have an approved form 1 with a total length of 6.5 for 300 blackout subs only. I already had a KAK "flash can" (3.25") on as a placeholder.

My question is: can I leave the KAK muzzle device on as the "blast chamber" and thread the suppressor into it?

I will machine threads into the KAK device, which is 3.25 inches in length. Does that mean the muzzle device on the gun would make it a total length 9.75 inches? If the actual suppressor I build is 6.5 inches, does threading it into a muzzle device already on the gun increase the suppressor length? Or would it be the case that as long as the engraved serial and such is on the "removable suppressor" the length would still be 6.5 inches?

I hope that makes sense. If it changes the length I would just remove the muzzle device and build a blast chamber INTO the 6.5 but I'm learning I should have probably made it longer than that in the form 1 for 300 blackout.

Thanks!
milsurpcollector1970

Re: Blast chamber included?

Post by milsurpcollector1970 »

In my limited experience (1 suppressor build under my belt) I would not do this.

It would be difficult not impossible to ensure the threads cut on the muzzle attachment on the kaK brake are in the same plane as the threads you are going to cut in the end of the KAK

Any update/change in the suppressor length has to be added to the form 1 anyway, so i would change the form 1 and build a can longer than the 6.5 inches.

How long is your barrel? maybe you can get away with a short suppressor

300 black subs are really quiet, like suppressed 22lr quiet
offroadcowboy

Re: Blast chamber included?

Post by offroadcowboy »

If I was to cut suppressor mount threads onto a muzzle attachment. I would single point threads on a piece of bar stock that are the attachment thread size. Then thread the muzzle attachment onto that (without removing it from the lathe) and then single point the suppressor attach threads. That is about the only way to get the threads concentric without doing both threads on the muzzle attachment at the same time.
Hope this makes sense.