5.56 Can Smell Test

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

FromSaltWeCome

5.56 Can Smell Test

Post by FromSaltWeCome »

After lurking around this site and a few others for a few months learning what I can, getting myself up to date with the legal side of things, and juggling a few ideas of my own in my head, I think I'm ready to commit to my 1st Form 1 build. I'm putting my most plausible concept here in hopes the more experienced here will tell me if I got anything wrong/forgot important details:

What it is: 5.56x45mm dedicated can for general purpose use. Will live on one AR it's entire life since it's the only threaded barrel gun I own. If you have tips for better sound reduction I'd love to hear them.

Body: 7.5" long, 1.625" OD / 1.503" ID. Grade 9 titanium with a machined shelf at 2.5", .50" of threading at the end cap.

Baffles: 1x 718 Inconel disk for a blast baffle, plus 2x 50° cones of 17-4 Stainless, .50" of skirt on each and separated from each other with 1.5" 17-4 spacers (shelf>Inconel>spacer>50°>spacer>50°>filler spacer>cap).

End Cap: Grade 5 Titanium, .55" tall, .50" of thread. Will have a machined cone inside for technically a 3rd Stainless baffle.

Still not sure if I want to do direct thread or Plan B compatible QD for the attachment method. Love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

What did I forget/get wrong???
FromSaltWeCome

Re: 5.56 Can Smell Test

Post by FromSaltWeCome »

Forgot to add: cones will be single clipped.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

I think more baffles. first baffle as cone not flat in 17-4 is plenty, make it .100" wall thickness. Lots of ways to go. Assuming its living on semi-auto I'd make sure to do 2 things, first get an adjustable gas block, second bore it for 30 caliber. Both of those things will help with back pressure and gas in the face.
I'd do all cones, spaced about 1/2" apart and stuff as many in as I can. All but the first cone with .065 wall. I'd aim for 7 baffles.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Also, if it's going to live on one gun, just direct thread.
FromSaltWeCome

Post by FromSaltWeCome »

mr fixit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:18 pm I think more baffles. first baffle as cone not flat in 17-4 is plenty, make it .100" wall thickness. Lots of ways to go. Assuming its living on semi-auto I'd make sure to do 2 things, first get an adjustable gas block, second bore it for 30 caliber. Both of those things will help with back pressure and gas in the face.
I'd do all cones, spaced about 1/2" apart and stuff as many in as I can. All but the first cone with .065 wall. I'd aim for 7 baffles.

If I did a cone blast baffle instead of a disk, wouldn't I have to make the shelf at 3 or 3-1/2 inches to compensate for the loss of blast chamber volume from the cone taking up room? Also, It's my understanding that fewer baffles and more open internal volume make for a better rifle can?

I was already planning on installing an adjustable gas block, but I was also planning on getting a Gas Buster charging handle and one of those specialty bolt carriers that directs the gases down into the lower. Should I assume that it isn't enough? I've yet to shoot a suppressed AR so I genuinely have no clue how much gas blowback there is.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

FromSaltWeCome wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:26 pm

If I did a cone blast baffle instead of a disk, wouldn't I have to make the shelf at 3 or 3-1/2 inches to compensate for the loss of blast chamber volume from the cone taking up room? Also, It's my understanding that fewer baffles and more open internal volume make for a better rifle can?

I was already planning on installing an adjustable gas block, but I was also planning on getting a Gas Buster charging handle and one of those specialty bolt carriers that directs the gases down into the lower. Should I assume that it isn't enough? I've yet to shoot a suppressed AR so I genuinely have no clue how much gas blowback there is.
In almost all cases, more baffles are better as long as the spacing is enough. Forget the shelf in the tube, make a spacer for the cone.

Suppressors on a semi-auto host will be dirt, it will dirty up the gun. My 11.5"AR with AGB and 30 cal. bore are about as good as it gets, but it's still dirtier than no can. I wouldn't spend the money on the specialty bolt carriers but that's me.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

A suppressor 1.375 x 9.00 filled with clipped cones will do the trick. You can base port the cones to reduce back pressure. Welding is the way to go as it saves weight ,with no spacers needed. Other than the blast baffle all materials mentioned allows for thin baffles. Unless its FA a Ti can and baffles will work fine with any grade.
CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
BWS Arms

Post by BWS Arms »

Listen to the good Captain. A welded can as he describes works. You will be far happier with it than your original idea.
FFL 07/02 SOT